"G-Shock overview" -- suggestions?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "G-Shock overview" -- suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Lightbulb "G-Shock overview" -- suggestions?

A while back I made a "Getting Started" guide for new or prospective G-Shock owners. It was pretty basic and I'd always felt there was something missing. I decided that what would really help is including an overview of the G-Shock model line. Because it's so extensive, it's easy to get into too many details and end up making it confusing. Best to make it generalized with some additional details here and there as necessary or useful. So I took a stab at it and posted it (HERE).

If you have a moment, please check it out and comment over in THIS THREAD (not on the guide). I'd like to field suggestions from the community and then incorporate what I feel makes sense into the guide. It's by no means definitive and will never be, but I think it'll be helpful nonetheless for helping folks make sense out of the enormous G-Shock offering... not just for newbies but also long time owners that haven't thoroughly explored it.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. don't forget to comment in THIS THREAD!
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: "G-Shock overview" -- suggestions?

Awesome! That covers a lot of bases.

Hail to the King, baby.

Very straightforward, not complex, and informative, thanks for taking the effort.
    Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An awesome addition to a great original post! I often link and/or point people towards that thread when they're looking for a G, and this "new addition" is a simple (and quick!) summation of 30 years of G-Shock history -- nicely done!

Amazing work It covers more then basics, but if you wanted to do more only sky is the limit, so many models to talk about.

This will be great, both for newbies and us who though we knew something about g-shocks

I had no idea 7900 is discontinued though, looks like I will have to move it up on the list...

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom

wow nice man good work!
    passed the 100 now on to 200 i guess?
    my 100 piece collection video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xx4kd0H-gc

Please subscribe to My YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/958649

i would also love you to follow me on instagram
    http://instagram.com/mikeontheedge

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the encouragement. Whenever a new member would join and ask what G-Shock to get, I always felt badly for them because the G-Shock offering by CASIO is so enormous and confusing for the uninitiated. It's hard to explain in a quick reply what it's all about. Hopefully this will help.

But this is definitely a work-in-progress that I'm hoping to update a few more times with submitted advice from the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    Amazing work It covers more then basics, but if you wanted to do more only sky is the limit, so many models to talk about.
    This will be great, both for newbies and us who though we knew something about g-shocks
    I had no idea 7900 is discontinued though, looks like I will have to move it up on the list...
    Thanks hopefully it will be, and thanks for pointing that out about the 7900 -- I need to correct that as it appears it's just some variations that aren't being made any longer while others still are.

By the way, anybody know if there was ever a series name conceived for the 8900 line?
    Last edited by xevious; October 13th, 2013 at 19:38.
    Chrisek likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

The 8900 line is actually part of the "XL" family (ga/gd 100/110/120/150/etc). Though it wears a little differently.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Small correction: the king is "GX-56" vs "GX-5600".

Also, I would suggest linking to informative reviews especially for size comparisons. In particular I'm thinking of the Mudman as that was a big jump from the 9000 to the 9300.

sent with aloha
    xevious likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I applied the corrections.

I'm thinking that for certain model lines/series, that they could have their own separate article. For instance the "Mudman line-up", which delves into the Mudman history, links to reviews, and shows comparison photos for each model. I'm not a real Mudman aficionado, but if there's someone out there who is, it would be a great project. I wouldn't mind contributing with an outline and a few ideas. In any case, I may include a mini-photo for most of the major models mentioned in the guide to aid with "quick reference", for those who look at a model number or name and don't have a picture in their mind of what the watch is. For the longest time, I kept forgetting what a GA-110 was until enough crazy colors came out that it burned the image permanently in my mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information