G-Shock Protrek?

Thread: G-Shock Protrek?

G-Shock Protrek?

Now that I (newby) am bombarding the forum with questions anyhoo, been wondering about this one for years: why hasn't there ever been a G-Shock Protrek, or a G-Shock with all of the Protrek's functionality? Sound like something of a Holy Grail to me..

Is there some technical impossibility here that I am not realizing?

Thanks again,

Paul

Re: G-Shock Protrek?

No reason, except Casio doesn't want to make it. For example, a PRW-2000 with a bit of resin bezel wouldn't be any larger than most Gs, but it doesn't exist.

Ah, I see..

Too bad though, don't you think? I hope they have a change of heart at some point, a compas-equipped solar atomic Riseman sounds like the coolest thing ever..

Paul

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The gshock cushioning on the inside would necessitate an even larger diameter watch. There is no technical reason why Casio doesn't make a G-ified Protrek. Probably the additional cost would make for a smaller sales volume - so they don't make it...
    Ghobbit

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

this question comes up from time to time, though I never understood why.

If one is looking for all ABC casio functions, there is a wide range of pro-treks/pathfinders available.

if one is looking for a G, there is an even wider range of models available.

why mix both together, what is the point?

in theory, a g-shock is the tougher watch - under real world usage however, it doesn't matter at all IMO. both watchtypes are way tougher than a humans wrist and should do equally well.

for the gadget minded there is always the GW-9200 riseman g-shock, which offers an altimeter and a barometer but no compass. a small wrist compass can be straped onto the band anytime though which is preferable to any electronic compass anyway and make the GW-9200 a "full ABC" watch.

if one is looking for the sake of maximum toughness, a no-nonsense G will be probably the best way to go.

if one is looking for the sake of maximum ABC functions with highest possible accuracy, the logical step is to avoid the casio brand anyway and look something else.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Well, the fact that the questions apparently comes up occasionally indicates it does appeal to some, and I for one understand why... G-Shocks, to me, are more esthetically pleasing than pro-treks and so on, and of course the indestructibility factor weighs in heavily; that being said, I wouldn't frown on those added functions that make pro-treks pretty much the ultimate outdoor Casio..

Oh well, too bad:)

Paul

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

okay, I see. well, like I wrote, you can always go with the GW-9200 and have an (A)ltimeter-(B)arometer g-shock. put a wrist compass on the strap and it will become an ABC. should you be looking for one, I can recommend this:

SUUNTO CLIPPER Watch Band Micro Compass + Velcro Strap - eBay (item 160486178225 end time Oct-03-10 22:27:16 PDT)

or alternatively without luminous bezel, this:

Suunto Clipper Compasses To Attached To : SS004103001 - eBay (item 310252311521 end time Oct-17-10 21:48:52 PDT)

there are quite a lot other wrist compass out there, but I find the suuntos to be very accurate.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    if one is looking for the sake of maximum ABC functions with highest possible accuracy, the logical step is to avoid the casio brand anyway and look something else.
    Whilst Casio hasn't evolved the function much of their Protreks or even G's really, they still, I suspect, have quite an advantage in form over most of the more accurate brands/models as far as being more field reliable.

Casio could have made several quatum leaps in function and accuracy by now with all the generations of Protreks they've had, but alas, they have rested on their laurels and focussed more on the fashion slant.

They still haven't come up with a more accurate tide and moon graph than the venerable silencer which is still king in that regard despite its vintage.

Thanks for the tips guys:)

I have in fact used a wrist compass many times, love the little suckers... though I've never used a Suunto, they do look the part, don't they.. Might need to get me one of those!

I actually fell in love with the overkill look of a G-Shock with an added compass when traveling through Australia in '96, me wearing a basic resin G-Shock and a bunch of these Japanese kids were wearing these elaborate G's I'd never seen (gotto love that new thing called internet:)) and all of them had added these small compasses.. Looked awesome, and useful to boot!

Paul
    Last edited by darth_barf; October 3rd, 2010 at 03:53. Reason: typo

Thread Information