G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

Thread: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member Bimdapogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    243

    G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Hi all,
    Last night I opened up my DW8300 for a good cleaning and a battery change. But I ran into some speed bumps.

    Questions:
    1. I found that the gasket is a bit loose, it overlaps the groove where it should be placed. Can I just push it in while putting back the caseback? Will that affect the water resistance? Or should I get a new gasket - if so, where can I find one considering this watch is discontinued?

    2. Does the silicone oil (needed on the gasket) have to be dielectric? I have a box of these in different weights:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-Oil-40wt-2oz
    can I use this on a G-shock?

    3. I would like to stock up on CR2016 batteries and change on my own watches. Which brand is the best (most practical)? Energizer, Sony, Maxell, etc.. And where is the best place to get? I know there are a lot on ebay, does it matter if they're old stocks?

    Thanks in advance for any input. :thanks
    Last edited by Bimdapogs; August 21st, 2009 at 17:12.

  2. #2
    Member MRG-1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Quote Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
    1. I found that the gasket is a bit loose, it overlaps the groove where it should be placed. Can I just push it in while putting back the caseback? Will that affect the water resistance? Or should I get a new gasket - if so, where can I find one considering this watch is discontinued?
    You might get it back into the groove, but it will have lost its shape. Thus, if you're lucky, it might keep out splash water or even light submersion or shower water. But I definitely wouldn't treat it to several meters worth of pressure without replacing it with a new gasket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
    2. Does the silicone oil (needed on the gasket) have to be dielectric? I have a box of these in different weights:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-Oil-40wt-2oz
    can I use this on a G-shock?
    The nonconductive part is for safety, so that it doesn't short the circuits should it get onto the module. If you only apply it carefully and in limited quantities, I would say that it doesn't really matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
    3. I would like to stock up on CR2016 batteries and change on my own watches. Which brand is the best (most practical)? Energizer, Sony, Maxell, etc.. And where is the best place to get? I know there are a lot on ebay, does it matter if they're old stocks?
    I'd say that any major brand should do. I'd keep my fingers off any cheap stuff.

  3. #3
    Member Bimdapogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    243

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Does anybody know where to get a spare gasket? Help please..

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Quote Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
    Does anybody know where to get a spare gasket? Help please..
    Your local Casio service centre is the obvious place to try (details on the Casio website). Other than that, I wouldn't know.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  6. #5
    Member Bimdapogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    243

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Your local Casio service centre is the obvious place to try (details on the Casio website). Other than that, I wouldn't know.
    I already tried that route. Thanks though.

  7. #6
    Member Riley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Quote Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
    I already tried that route. Thanks though.
    Did you try calling Casio USA? I was a able to order some DW-6300 gaskets recently from them. Gaskets seem to be the one they actually can get for older models.

  8. #7
    Member Marcello GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Way south of the border by way of the Equator, in Niteroi - next to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!
    Posts
    429

    Re: G-Shock Repair, 3 Q's

    Something that has occurred to me regarding resealing these old Gs. Has anyone ever thought of substituting the gasket with caulking compound?

    Now there's something of a project to undertake.
    Cheers,

    Marcello GT
    ---------------

    From top to bottom, we are now @ 14270 meters deep in watches and still counting!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •