G-Shock Request

Thread: G-Shock Request

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member geogecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    209

    G-Shock Request

    Looking for a G-Shock for my brother. He is a cop, and currently has a digital Timex. He saw my GW-1310, and liked the features, but said he would have to have full digital.

    So, features that I'm looking for:
    Solar
    Atomic (US)
    Full Digital
    Auto LED (might be hard to find, instead of Auto EL)
    3-5 Alarms
    Stopwatch

    Want to keep it under $200, probably closer to $100.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks guys (gals).

  2. #2
    Member Buzzbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: G-Shock Request

    The GW-5600 seems to fit the bill, except for the Auto-LED. I have no idea what Auto-LED is. The GW-5600 has Auto-EL


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: G-Shock Request

    I'd go with the GW-5600 too, it's a great watch.

    As for the auto-LED ( light emitting diode ), as far as I know there is no G-Shock that uses this lighting system and if there were an auto-LED the battery would be flat within a day ! Perhaps he means one where just the LCD digits light up ? An example would be the G-056-8VDR (polygon) with reverse display.

    cheers,

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: G-Shock Request

    I would go with a MTG-910. got everything but auto led (what is that?) and a countdown timer (which you not mentioned). besides, its a pretty in my opinion:




    regards, holger

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    154

    Re: G-Shock Request

    I think he's referring to the super-illuminator feature like on the G011 and GW1210 series, they use LED's mounted in the side of the dial to light up the dial.

    I don't think Casio puts those in watches that aren't Ana-Digi, so an "all digital" watch with it isn't going to be found IMHO. However, I am very happy with the legibility and the setup on my 1210, so I'd recomend the resin-strap version, the GW1310-4AV. It's street price is about $100-150, so matches the price range. You can set up the watch so that in the small window at 6 o'clock the digital time is displayed. The great feature about this module is that the analog hands sync with atomic time, so the "h-set" feature is not needed!



    Quote Originally Posted by kpatt View Post
    I'd go with the GW-5600 too, it's a great watch.

    As for the auto-LED ( light emitting diode ), as far as I know there is no G-Shock that uses this lighting system and if there were an auto-LED the battery would be flat within a day ! Perhaps he means one where just the LCD digits light up ? An example would be the G-056-8VDR (polygon) with reverse display.

    cheers,
    Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!




  7. #6
    Member geogecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: G-Shock Request

    Thanks guys. Actually, now that I think about it, it wouldn't make much since having Auto LED, as opposed to Auto EL, because EL would light up an LCD more evenly than two side firing LEDs...so I guess we can scratch that idea, which probably opens up the door quite wide now.

    I like the GW-5600, not sure if he would like the square style of it or not, might have to ask him about that one.

    That MTG-910 is awesome, and that one might fit the bill for him. I also like the Mudman as well. What's the price on the 910? Do they make a 910 style with resin?

    The 1310 won't work for him, I actually have the blue version of the one you posted, and really like it, but the digital display for him was too small.

    Does this one:
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com/mtg-910.html#

    Have the goofy backlight image, or just a standard backlight?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    154

    Re: G-Shock Request

    Hmm. Closest I see is the GW700. This one:



    http://www.hbwatches.com/gw700a-9v-c...tch-p-387.html

    Quote Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
    Thanks guys. Actually, now that I think about it, it wouldn't make much since having Auto LED, as opposed to Auto EL, because EL would light up an LCD more evenly than two side firing LEDs...so I guess we can scratch that idea, which probably opens up the door quite wide now.

    I like the GW-5600, not sure if he would like the square style of it or not, might have to ask him about that one.

    That MTG-910 is awesome, and that one might fit the bill for him. I also like the Mudman as well. What's the price on the 910? Do they make a 910 style with resin?

    The 1310 won't work for him, I actually have the blue version of the one you posted, and really like it, but the digital display for him was too small.

    Does this one:
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com/mtg-910.html#

    Have the goofy backlight image, or just a standard backlight?
    Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!




  9. #8
    Member FrogmanFreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: G-Shock Request

    the GW-5600 (first watch pictured) is a classic. you cant really go wrong with that, but in my opinion, perhaps the newer gulfman or silencer might be good! dont break the bank though!

  10. #9
    Member geogecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: G-Shock Request

    That GW700 is pretty cool, and a decent price as well. I also like that Time Recording function, not sure if he will find that useful, but at least it is there if he wants to use it.

    Thanks for the advice, I think I will end up going with that one.

  11. #10
    Member bluegum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    brisbane, australia
    Posts
    5,160

    Re: G-Shock Request

    Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    I would go with a MTG-910. got everything but auto led (what is that?) and a countdown timer (which you not mentioned). besides, its a pretty in my opinion:




    regards, holger
    Very nice...seems to fit the specs well too.

    Looks more like a cop's watch to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •