G-Shock resistance ...

Thread: G-Shock resistance ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twg

G-Shock resistance ...

First of all i would like to say hi to everyone.Now,i have a question,or let's call it a doubt and i hope that some of g-shock owners will clear it up for me.So,here we go ...
    I admired the g-shock watches for a long time,but since i had two swatch watches i didn't bought one.But few days ago i decided to buy one(GA100 1A4) and i'm really impressed by the watch.It works perfectly and it looks very good(like a sport watch,but in the same time it's very fashionable,well at least for me).Now my doubt is about the resistence of the watch,especially about the water resistance since i live by the lake and most of summer i spend in swimming and diving.About the shock resistance,i saw tests on the net and i'm sure that it works(i also hit the walls and doors while walking 2-3 times,not on purpose ofc.).The magnetic resistance is not a thing that really interests me,so we'll skip that.Now about the water resistance.It's my first G-Shock and since i'm not used to swim while wearing my watch(the swatches weren't water resistant),i was wondering if some of u had water resistance problems or something similar.On the watch is written that it is 200m or 20BAR WR,but i'm still not sure weather i should try swimming with it or not.Yes,the warranty is still there if something happens,but i don't want to come to that.If it's not secure to swim with it,i'll just not do that and that's it.
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: G-Shock resistance ...

Dont worry about the water resistance while swimming.
    Some members are even using their Gs for diving.

A brand new G is watertight for water sports.
    The only danger for the water resistance is the battery exchange.
    To be very shure, you could have let the resistance tested by the watchmaker afterwards.

So have fun with your new G!

Quote Originally Posted by twg View Post
    First of all i would like to say hi to everyone.Now,i have a question,or let's call it a doubt and i hope that some of g-shock owners will clear it up for me.So,here we go ...
    I admired the g-shock watches for a long time,but since i had two swatch watches i didn't bought one.But few days ago i decided to buy one(GA100 1A4) and i'm really impressed by the watch.It works perfectly and it looks very good(like a sport watch,but in the same time it's very fashionable,well at least for me).Now my doubt is about the resistence of the watch,especially about the water resistance since i live by the lake and most of summer i spend in swimming and diving.About the shock resistance,i saw tests on the net and i'm sure that it works(i also hit the walls and doors while walking 2-3 times,not on purpose ofc.).The magnetic resistance is not a thing that really interests me,so we'll skip that.Now about the water resistance.It's my first G-Shock and since i'm not used to swim while wearing my watch(the swatches weren't water resistant),i was wondering if some of u had water resistance problems or something similar.On the watch is written that it is 200m or 20BAR WR,but i'm still not sure weather i should try swimming with it or not.Yes,the warranty is still there if something happens,but i don't want to come to that.If it's not secure to swim with it,i'll just not do that and that's it.
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

My 6 years old son tested his non g-shock casio in the shower a few times with no problem. It was rated at 10bars. I washed a few of my G-shock in water a few occasions to get ride of finger marks with no problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

there are 20+ year old G's with the original rubber sealing and still water tight and daily in the sea, so you dont need to worry even in 20 years from now

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    A brand new G is watertight for water sports.
    The only danger for the water resistance is the battery exchange.
    To be very shure, you could have let the resistance tested by the watchmaker afterwards.
    Yes.

I've a 15 year old Casio non-G, resin case/strap, yet rock solid. It's 100WR. I've banged it towards walls quite a few times, no problems.

The WR200 aint comparable with real life 200 meters depth, it's a specific classification. But it's perfectly safe for normal swimming and probably some snorkling, as long as you dont dive deeeeep.

Casio claims the sealing lasts 2-3 years. I find that's a conservative specification, but it's true the sealing dont last forever; When my before mentioned 100WR Casio was 10 years old (=two battery swaps and no sealing swapped), it took in water like a sponge... So dont overdo it - and maybe get that test once in a while

Just for the record: I took apart that Casio module and dried it slowly, and it's still going strong. It's now a bit more than 5 years ago.

I also believe sealing can dry out at some point.
    Last edited by ThomAsio; July 14th, 2010 at 14:53.

Don't worry about the WR.

Since last week I own a GW-9200 Riseman. Yesterday friends of mine asked to go swimming in one of the lakes in our area. The lakes are relicts of the vulcanic history of the region I lived called Eifel.
    The lakes are really deep (some are deeper than 150 meter) and the water is f**king cold.

So we layed in the sun and decided to take a jump from a tree at the shore.

I jumped off a height of roundabout 10-12 meter, the watch was really hot caused by the sun.
    Neither the shock from hot to cold, nor the impact in the water was a problem for the G-Shock.

I think the Gs are really really tough watches, so don't worry about goin to swim with your G.

BTW:
    A friend of mine was wearing a faked Breitling (don't think about it) and his watch lost the watchglass.
    My watches:
    Sinn 104 St Sa A | Casio CBX-1000 | Casio WV-M120 | Junghans Mega1 | Junghans Olympic

I used to swim in the ocean as often as possible, and in the lake where I was a camp counselor 6-8 weeks during the summer, with some mile long swims included. Not to mention tubing, kayaking, canoeing, etc. My G never left my wrist. I still have that 5600 today, and not only is it still going strong, but I still don't worry about water resistance.

As for walls, yeah, I occasionally clip doorways with the watch, and not problems there either aside from the occasional resin scratching.

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Quote Originally Posted by over2land View Post
    I used to swim in the ocean as often as possible, and in the lake where I was a camp counselor 6-8 weeks during the summer, with some mile long swims included. Not to mention tubing, kayaking, canoeing, etc. My G never left my wrist. I still have that 5600 today, and not only is it still going strong, but I still don't worry about water resistance.

As for walls, yeah, I occasionally clip doorways with the watch, and not problems there either aside from the occasional resin scratching.

Is the 5600 that you are referring about the DW5600E with the 4 screws and the back plate or is it a screw back DW5600C? How old is it? What year did you recall getting it?

I have been swimming every day this summer so far and always take a G with me, today it was the G-301BR. I think I have about 12 G's and they all have been swimming and are fine. If it's a recently made G that hasn't been opened up yet, don't even give it a second thought. If its an older watch, say 6 years plus, and you think it's probably had a battery change or two, then it all depends on the condition of the gasket and how careful the guy who did the battery change was. I think lots of leaks happen when careless people bunch up the gasket when they replace the backplate after a battery change, don't grease it with silicon lube, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitribouras View Post
    Is the 5600 that you are referring about the DW5600E with the 4 screws and the back plate or is it a screw back DW5600C? How old is it? What year did you recall getting it?
    It is a 5600C.

I got it between 1989 and 1991 as best I can figure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information