G-Shock "shock" question....
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By tommy.arashikage
  • 4 Post By tommy.arashikage
  • 2 Post By t minus

Thread: G-Shock "shock" question....

Hey everyone, sorry if this has already be covered. I did search and couldn't find a definitive answer. I noticed that the DW5035 has a hard plastic spacer between the screw down case back and module; the module is not of a floating design. The DW5600E has a soft rubber spacer in between the module and caseback while the module is of a floating design.

Does anyone know why Casio has strayed from the floating module designed G? Are the newer ones as shock resistant and has this been tested? I appreciate the help.
    "If you can read this, then today is a good day."

The design of the G-SHOCK floating module has little to do with the cushioning device between the module and the case back. See the link below for a succinct explanation of various G-SHOCK absorbing properties:

https://world.g-shock.com/sg/en/orig...t/dw-5600.html

EDIT: to clarify, the floating module allows the module to be seated inside the watch with minimal points of contact to the case.
    OP you have correctly identified the differences in how the modules are cushioned next to the case back, but that is only one aspect of a much larger shock absorbing concept. Perhaps others can chime in and/or provide additional feedback, but it sure seems to me that the module is protected quite well and still allowed to “float” inside any version of this style of G-SHOCK watch.

Now to address the difference between the rubber cushion between the module and case back versus the plastic module housing...
    In modern 5600’s the rubber cushion works because the case back is secured by 4 screws. The case back itself does not move or screwdown, so the rubber cushion stays in place and allows the alarm spring to contact the piezo speaker on the inside of the caseback.
    Conversely, in 3421 module 5000/50XX style squares, the case back is screwed into the case. The module is encased in plastic in these watches so that the case back can be screwed down without disrupting the alarm spring.

An updated version of this is what is utilized in the GMW-B5000 series. This series has a module housed in plastic, but with a rubber cushion that is held in place by a stainless steel ring. This ring holds the cushion in place when the screwback case back is applied. This setup is similar to the 1545 module that was used in screwback models like the DW-5000-1JF. The difference in the GMW-B5000 series is that the alarm spring is no longer an actual spring like that of 3229+3421 modules, but rather an arm much like the 1545 alarm arm.

GMW-B5000 with case back removed

GMW-B5000 rubber cushion and holder

GMW-B5000 module in the case

—————
    The 3421 module of the DW-5030’s, DW-5035’s, and a couple of the DW-5735’s has a module that is completely encased in plastic inside the watch case. The plastic housing of the module has a plastic holder that locks into place, thus allowing the screwback case back to glide over the alarm spring. The screwback case back does not glide well over the rubber cushion of the 3229 module setup.
    Last edited by tommy.arashikage; May 3rd, 2019 at 08:10.

Re: G-Shock "shock" question....

@tommy.arashikage - On a screw back, what keeps the alarm spring or arm from hanging up on the piezo speaker when the case back is rotated to remove or replace it? On a panel back this wouldn't be an issue, since there is no rotation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    @tommy.arashikage - On a screw back, what keeps the alarm spring or arm from hanging up on the piezo speaker when the case back is rotated to remove or replace it? On a panel back this wouldn't be an issue, since there is no rotation.
    I believe the alarm spring in screwback square models is thinner. It is housed in a plastic casing that locks into the module casing frame. I suppose the alarm could still hang up on the piezo, but the spring appears to be just the right length/height and thickness to be fine.

Here is the tiny opening for the alarm spring in a 3421 module casing:

I modified one of these plastic casing frames to accomodate a 3229 module in one of my DW-5030 builds. The 3229 alarm spring was too thick to fit through the hole so I drilled the hole bigger:

GaryK30, your question is answered perfectly in the following pic:

The 3229 module alarm spring did catch on the piezo speaker and pulled the spring up. I noticed something was amiss while tightening the screwback case back. Opened it and there you go, an example of when modding goes wrong. Despite that, I carefully applied the caseback again and all is well. The alarm tones still work. That will be touchy battery replacement eventually. Haha.

Long story long...Casio seems to be on top of the screwback module evolution. From screwback 1545’s —> 3159’s —> 3421’s —> 3459’s it seems that each change in the module housing is a step forward in upgrading both the way the module is seated as well as the shock absorbing properties. That is just my opinion of course, but hopefully it is safe to assume that Casio has tested each of these changes to ensure progress.

EDIT: and to address the alarm ‘arm’ of the GMW-B5000, the arm is oriented in the direction that the screwback case back is rotated. That is, the point of the arm pointing up is on the correct side of the case back piezo in the direction it is screwed down. When screwing the case back down, the piezo passes over the arm depressing it slightly until it passes over it. Hard to explain, see this pic that hopefully illustrates both of the arms that are oriented for a clockwise rotation:
    Last edited by tommy.arashikage; May 3rd, 2019 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy.arashikage View Post
    EDIT: and to address the alarm ‘arm’ of the GMW-B5000, the arm is oriented in the direction that the screwback case back is rotated. That is, the point of the arm pointing up is on the correct side of the case back piezo in the direction it is screwed down. When screwing the case back down, the piezo passes over the arm depressing it slightly until it passes over it. Hard to explain, see this pic that hopefully illustrates both of the arms that are oriented for a clockwise rotation:
    And it doesn’t hang up when the caseback is unscrewed counterclockwise, because the tip is rounded, and because unscrewing doesn’t have as much downward force?

Quote Originally Posted by zack20cb View Post
    And it doesn’t hang up when the caseback is unscrewed counterclockwise, because the tip is rounded, and because unscrewing doesn’t have as much downward force?
    Good point.
    That sounds good to me.

@ tommy.arashikage.... Thank you for that detailed explanation. It is much appreciated.
    "If you can read this, then today is a good day."

Thread Information