G-shock Torture Tests

Thread: G-shock Torture Tests

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-shock Torture Tests

Hi,

I have a 9yr old daughter who is really into watches. I told her that the G-shock can be thrown from a 10 story building and you can drive your car over it and it would not crush it and it will still be ticking ...

Now is that true? Is there a g-shock out there that I can subject the above 2 torture tests on and IT PASSES, and then I let my daughter wear it with pride?

thnx

Re: G-shock Torture Tests

Sure, these tests have been done plenty of times. Why not get her a Baby-G. There are some cool vintage Baby-G's on ebay, colorful and with animations, and they get no attention. You'd probably score one for 20 bucks.

thank you ... I will try the babyg then...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Go Dortmund!

I need to qualify my recommendation...

The resin gets hard with age so running over the watch with the family car may crack something. Same thing may happen if you toss it out from the 10th floor of the local skyscraper. This is if you get a vintage model.

I tend to think vintage so when I saw your post it reminded me of the vintage Baby-G's I recently saw. They were cool looking and they get little or no attention on ebay. (And no, I am not the seller.)

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

How is it that the hard plastic resin watch case gets hard with age? Does the plastic resin case give off gas or something making it more brittle with age? If it does give off any gas, is the gas the bonding agent which makes the hard plastic resin case so durable to begin with? I'm thinking that there is some chemical reaction within the hard plastic resin case that occurs over time which makes the resin less durable. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by dimitribouras View Post
    How is it that the hard plastic resin watch case gets hard with age? Does the plastic resin case give off gas or something making it more brittle with age? If it does give off any gas, is the gas the bonding agent which makes the hard plastic resin case so durable to begin with? I'm thinking that there is some chemical reaction within the hard plastic resin case that occurs over time which makes the resin less durable. Is this correct?
    Most probably oxidation + exposure to ultraviolet light which makes the resin brittle over time, assuming that the watch is regularly used.

The bezel and strap on my 9051 became shiny and brittle after only six years of ownership, but that's considering that I hardly rinsed the watch even after using it in the pool or seawater.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 9th, 2010 at 09:30.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitribouras View Post
    I'm thinking that there is some chemical reaction within the hard plastic resin case that occurs over time which makes the resin less durable. Is this correct?
    Yes, that's more or less right. Polymers (including polyurethane, aka 'resin') break down by hydrolysis over time. Effectively, they 'dry out' and fall apart.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by casiophile View Post
    ...toss it out from the 10th floor of the local skyscraper...
    I'm pretty sure it's ten meters, not the tenth floor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information