G-Shock Travels/Manhattan: December 11 - 12, 2009 - Part III

Thread: G-Shock Travels/Manhattan: December 11 - 12, 2009 - Part III

G-Shock Travels/Manhattan: December 11 - 12, 2009 - Part III

Later Saturday, I took my younger daughter to a high school on the far northern tip of Manhattan. The City had set up a "clinic" there to dispense H1N1 flu vaccines -- which are still not so easy to obtain in doctor's offices, etc.

The City had done a great job with this, I thought, in November, when the vaccine was even more scarce. The sites they set up were well run; they dispensed information very well and efficiently and processes huge crowds quite well.

So I took my daughter for her "booster" dose. Adults could get a shot now as well, even if, like me, they are not in a particular "risk category". So I got a shot as well.

We took the No. 1 train (the IRT Broadway local) up to 191st Street -- about as far north in Manhattan as you can get before you cross over into the Bronx. We were heading to George Washington High School -- a huge public high school up there -- north of the GW Bridge.

I must confess, I forgot to put on the Traveling G -- I was so into my new GW-7900CD-9JF that I wore it on this trip. (You can see that I was timing the subway ride. It took about twenty minutes):

Lo and behold, a guy a couple of seats away from me was wearing an "Obama Blue" LRG 6900! I almost engaged him in a bit of "G-Shock bonding", but he got off before I could initiate a conversation. I did get a couple of shots of him though:

Here's George Washington High School -- up at 192nd Street and Audobon Avenue. Shot from this direction, the huge, old fashioned building could be a rural or suburban high school of a certain age from almost anywhere in the U.S. It is probably bigger than most, though; it is longer, I think, than a city block:

The exterior is under scaffolding. They're doubtless doing some work on it. Here is the cupola on top of the building. The kind of cool little architectural detail you just don't see anymore, certainly not on public buildings:

Here's a shot of NYC Health Department nurses at work in the high school's gym. They did a great job:

Signs of the season in a local building lobby:

Re: G-Shock Travels/Manhattan: December 11 - 12, 2009 - Part III

It would be cool if the guy with the LRG 6900 is a member here
    Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

Wish List:

G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester

Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    It would be cool if the guy with the LRG 6900 is a member here

+1.

@ Kronos - and yet another beautiful spread! Thanks for the peek buddy..
    best regards,

Kirk M.

GWF-1000-1JF
    GDF-100
    GW-9110-1JF
    GW-9400BJ-1JF
    GD-350-1JF
    G-700D
    DW-9052
    DW-9500
    DW-5900
    DW-7400

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KVM888 View Post
    +1.

@ Kronos - and yet another beautiful spread! Thanks for the peek buddy..
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm really annoyed with myself for not speaking to the guy with the Obama Blue LRG 6900 before he got off the train! A little bit of G-Shock bonding would have been very cool indeed. Plus his watch is, of course, one of my favorite releases of the last couple of years. Love that shade of blue.

Thumbs Up Re: G-Shock Travels/Manhattan: December 11 - 12, 2009 - Part III

Very cool spread, for sure!!!

You are a certified watch nerd if you are taking pics of others wearing the G on the subway...too funny! I'll have to show this to my wife, as she thinks only the Omega, Breitling, and Rolex geeks do this!

Also, thanks for the city tour. I went to college there from 1987-1991, and have only been back a few times since.

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
    ....You are a certified watch nerd if you are taking pics of others wearing the G on the subway...too funny! I'll have to show this to my wife, as she thinks only the Omega, Breitling, and Rolex geeks do this!....
    Hmmm. I would have thought my participation in this forum, in and of itself, would be enough to qualify me as a "certified watch nerd". Taking pictures of peoples' G-Shocks on the subway ought to, I think, qualify me as your basic lunatic!

Suspended

more, more, more!!

the one and only time I've been there, my friends and I rode the subway at like 2, 2:30 IN THE MORNING and I could not believe how many people were on there! I guess the City that never sleeps is true!
    Last edited by rockmastermike; December 14th, 2009 at 20:23.

Thread Information