G-Shock USA giving up on atomic watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G-Shock USA giving up on atomic watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock USA giving up on atomic watches?

Hey all,

I've been noticing for quite a while now that most atomic receiving G-shocks are only being released in Japan, and then non-atomic versions of them become export models. I know that's not really news, but if you look at the current catalogs on both Casiousa.com and gshock.com, the only recent models with atomic receiving capabilities are the Sky Cockpits. Pretty much all the other atomic G's are over a year old or even older. It would seem Casio is aiming at a lower price point for the brand and is moving away from this market, in the US at least. Pricier G's are drying up with the Frogman no longer being listed and the Giez and MTG models fading away. Same goes for Baby-G, if you check that site none of the models have atomic sync at all. Meanwhile, for the Protreks, a more upmarket brand, new models are continually being introduced with the feature as well as the surging Edifice line. It's looking more and more if you want a G with atomic sync you'll have to import from Japan since new atomic G's are being produced all the time showcasing cool technology like Tough Movt but only for sale in Japan, which is a real (expensive) shame.

Maybe G's with atomic sync aren't a big selling point for the general American public but I certainly would miss the feature if this were to be the future for G's in the US. I'm not married to the tech, and don't mind setting my non-atomics manually, but it is a great convenience that would be missed.

Thoughts? Do you see this as a trend for Casio too?
    Last edited by JonL; December 2nd, 2011 at 05:26.

Re: G-Shock USA giving up on atomic watches?

I really hope not. They might just keep their most basic models with the atomic time keeping though.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

i don't think they are "giving up" - but then, will we pay 250 and more for the atomic Gs ??? I certainly cannot and will not

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be nice if the price was really lower without atomic sync but obviously it isn't. A GW-9200 costs the same as the new G-9300 in stores in Germany and it costs twice as much as the old Mudman G-9000. And I also did notice that we still get all the latest Multiband-6 Protreks but no more Gs. A sad trend. The thing is - they will lose even more sales on the Gs because many of the cheaper Casio models are solar too nowadays. Just look at the new GR-8900 compared to the W-S220 - they look almost the same. They're the same size - they're both solar - the W-S220 has a much more advanced module and costs about half the price of the GR-8900. So I don't need long to decide which model I'm buying.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; December 2nd, 2011 at 10:42.
    Cheers
    Sedi

I think the radio wave technology stagnated a wile ago and should become cheaper. No only, I think that with the current evolution of the electronics these radio circuitry should evolve to new states of efficiency and precision. We are not in 1980...

Casio is just aiming for low cost in US and EU to gain some market share. In Japan they have it all already.
    | Citizen Eco-Drive CA0361-04A |
    | Seiko Sportura Ana-Digi SNJ019P |
    | Casio G-Shock G-5500TS-8ER |
    | Swatch Irony Chronograph Blue Aluminium YCN4000AG
    Golf |
    | Timex Ironman 30 lap Shock T5K434 |

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    (...)Just look at the new GR-8900 compared to the W-S220 - they look almost the same. They're the same size - they're both solar - the W-S220 has a much more advanced module and costs about half the price of the GR-8900. So I don't need long to decide which model I'm buying.

cheers, Sedi
    Not only the movement, everything adds cost, a better resin band with metal buckle(the W-S220 has a cheap plastic buckle), the resin exterior with hard plastic inside case(the W-S220 case is build in one piece plastic), a mineral crystal(the W-S220 hasresin glass), 200M vs 100M water resistant(the W-S220 has "only" 100M), 15s/month vs 30s/monthaccuracy(the W-220 has 30s/month), and so on.
    Golf |

Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    Not only the movement, everything adds cost, a better resin band with metal buckle(the W-S220 has a cheap plastic buckle), the resin exterior with hard plastic inside case(the W-S220 case is build in one piece plastic), a mineral crystal(the W-S220 hasresin glass), 200M vs 100M water resistant(the W-S220 has "only" 100M), 15s/month vs 30s/monthaccuracy(the W-220 has 30s/month), and so on.
    I know all that - but have you handled the W-S220 in person yet? I have and it's one impressive piece (in fact I plan to buy one today so maybe I'll even have time for a little review later on). I don't really need the extra 100m water resistance and in the end - soft resin will rot over time - the standard plastic case of the "cheapo" models will probably last much longer. Accuracy is a non-issue - all my cheaper Casio models run well within G-Shock specs, my AE-1000W is even my most accurate quartz watch ever with about +1sec/month. A metal buckle costs about 4 or 5 € which I will happily spend to upgrade the watch - did the same to my W-S200:

Don't get me wrong - I still love my Gs but some of the cheaper Casio models offer more bang for the buck.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I know all that - but have you handled the W-S220 in person yet? I have and it's one impressive piece (in fact I plan to buy one today so maybe I'll even have time for a little review later on). I don't really need the extra 100m water resistance and in the end - soft resin will rot over time - the standard plastic case of the "cheapo" models will probably last much longer. Accuracy is a non-issue - all my cheaper Casio models run well within G-Shock specs, my AE-1000W is even my most accurate quartz watch ever with about +1sec/month. A metal buckle costs about 4 or 5 € which I will happily spend to upgrade the watch - did the same to my W-S200:

Don't get me wrong - I still love my Gs but some of the cheaper Casio models offer more bang for the buck.

cheers, Sedi
    In EU right now the W-S220 is a bit pricey in my opinion... for the difference I think there are better choices. But if you like it go for it!

Oh and I will wait for your review!
    Golf |

Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    In EU right now the W-S220 is a bit pricey in my opinion... for the difference I think there are better choices. But if you like it go for it!

Oh and I will wait for your review!
    Yeah, I wanted to order from Hong-Kong but the € has been dropping in value so it's no longer a real bargain when ordering there - considering taxes. But I still think 54€ is an OK price.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Off the top of my head, they did release the GW6900F-7 in July of this year... They will bring the GW4000 models once the finish outsourcing from Thailand to China.. I think they want to keep the price point low, and those who REALLY need the solar/atomic JDM can order it from Japan.

As far as Baby-G, that's a different story. No news of any atomic Baby-G's. I had a couple who wanted one the other day. My girlfriend enjoys hers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information