-g-shock Vintages- Wear Or Not Wear???

Thread: -g-shock Vintages- Wear Or Not Wear???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

-g-shock Vintages- Wear Or Not Wear???

Great question for me...I have any G-Shock vintage but I dont like wear.(my love DW-5200), I cant imagine scratch the crystal or ...:oops:.

Big problem...I use the modern G-Shocks but I prefer the oldies...

Re: -g-shock Vintages- Wear Or Not Wear???

I wear my DW-5200 everyday I just had it restored at Casiosalesandservice and it is in near mint condition other than the scratches to the crystal. I guess I am devaluing the watch by wearing it but the joy I get from wearing it IMO more than makes up for it.
    Own
    DW-5200, DW-5300, DW-5600E, GW-5600J, DW-6100

Seeking
    DW-5200 Crystal (PM me if you have one)

Unless it's a very rare watch, which turns it into an asset, investement wise, IMO watches are to be worn Adan.
    But instead of a rare watch I would prefer buying a good painting, after all it's meant to be secure in a wall...

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the feel of the older watches (the weight), but the backlights on the new ones are so much better. I wear my old one once in a while, but most of the time I use my new ones.

I wear my dw-5200 all the time cause I did'nt had them in 1984 when they was out and my first g-shock was dw-5600 in 1987 and after years when i was working at florida choice and winn dixie in earlly 90's i heard an half hour beep and it bug me till 20 years later i finally got dw-5200 and now i got 4 of them but still wear the one got marks on glass.
    Last edited by ron281969; September 3rd, 2007 at 23:43.

Good question ADAN. I wear a DW-5600C-1V at least once a week but I have 2 others that I keep in my watch box. So, not worried about damaging it as I have spare parts.

I don't wear my other vintages outside the house, too risky !

I believe every G shock should be worn, thet are tough and fairly inexpensive so make the most of them before the resin rots. Take photos and salvage what remains after they fall apart.

Watches are frickin evil!

Some time ago I was cruising another forum - one dedicated to high end, extremely expensive wristwatches - like five figure expensive - and they were discussing this same topic. It was fascinating. There were guys who were buying the watches new and NEVER wearing them; they put them in a safe. Other guys were making fun of them. Then it turned into an argument about what constitutes an 'investment' and whether or not watches were 'art'.

I think it basically boils down to personal choice. I wear my vintage G's, even the rare and expensive ones. I'm wearing a WW-5300 now. Certain models, the ones with resin bezels/bands that I cannot replace, I never wear.

Cheers, Greg

I have always wondered about that, it would seem to me that there would be a pretty good market for Casio to keep making those parts (bands, bezels, crystals, etc) for their old watches. I wonder why they don't do that?

I was watching this show "Made in America" and they were at the Zippo lighter factory, any way this company kept replacement parts for every Zippo lighter ever made and they stated that their repair/refurbishment business was probably as large and as profitable for the company as the selling of new Zippo lighters was.
    Own
    DW-5200, DW-5300, DW-5600E, GW-5600J, DW-6100

Seeking
    DW-5200 Crystal (PM me if you have one)

I go with wear em, but I bought mine for thier function not as an "investment".

I admit I tend to only wear 3 of mine on any regular basis but thats mostly cause I have replacment parts for the resin already. The ones I have that are more "rare" or harder to find parts for I dont wear all that much, but I do wear em.

I have also discovered that I really dont care to much for the reverse display vesions I have, so I dont wear them to often but.... hey Im trying to get a full set of G-2000s so Id imagine there will be one or two that I dont much care for as a daily use watch anyway (those you could argue that I shouldnt get).

I collect screwback Gs as a survival mechanism
    DW-5000 (on loan to Iraq)
    DW-5200C (all mine 22 years plus)
    DW-5600C (restore in progress)
    G-2000s (Silver, Blue Sea, Metallic, Raven, standard black, Vice Eye)
    GL-110
    DW-8900-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information