G-Shock watches that didn't make it...
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: G-Shock watches that didn't make it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Unhappy G-Shock watches that didn't make it...

I found a DW-9000 stewing in the wet sand of the Peconic bay out in Eastern Long Island. The band wasn't broken but it must've fallen off somehow. Who knows how long. It might've been floating around in the water, aided by the buoyancy of the cloth band, for years.

Anyway, it was clear that this thing is dead beyond repair or even parts utilization. The main flaw was the last battery change. Whoever did it goofed on the gasket and water managed to get inside. From there it started to rust and bulge, making it worse. All screws are locked in tight... couldn't budge any of them. Had the gasket been properly aligned it might've survived even with a button missing (the peg was still in place). Always sad to see a G-Shock that didn't make it.

[CLICK THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER PHOTOS]
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: G-Shock watches that didn't make it...

That's my main issue with battery replacement... if you don't place the gasket correctly the watch will be damaged by water. I'll probably go in a shop when my G-Shocks will need new batteries. but still I'm not too confident in people I don't know, they can still screw up... maybe less often than me though. Stories like this make me appreciate more Solar powered watches.
    Last edited by CCCP; August 20th, 2017 at 21:09.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

Seems pretty straightforward to change a battery on a non screwback watch, to me (check this post later in the thread for screwbacks: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-s...l#post43904581). Align the gasket, make sure no foreign matter winds up in the gasket channel or gets stuck to the gasket, make sure the gasket isn't too dry, place the backplate carefully, tighten the screws in an alternating fashion without over tightening or stripping, and "Bob's yer uncle".
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; August 22nd, 2017 at 01:03.
    MainePorsche likes this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just clean it,new battery and it goes on for another few years.... At least you can try.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    That's my main issue with battery replacement... if you don't place the gasket correctly the watch will be damaged by water. I'll probably go in a shop when my G-Shocks will need new batteries. but still I'm not too confident in people I don't know, they can still screw up... maybe less often than me though. Stories like this make me appreciate more Solar powered watches.
    All you need is some silicone grease, it gives you three advantages:

- keeps the gasket in place
    - keeps the gasket ductile
    - keeps water away

A properly greased gasket, will live for decades. make sure to tight screws always gentle and crosswise, that is all you ever need to do.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post

- keeps water away

A properly greased gasket, will live for decades. make sure to tight screws always gentle and crosswise, that is all you ever need to do.

cheers
    Do you have a recommendation for whose products to look for as well as avoid.
    Thanks in Advance.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post

That's a good thing... once I damaged a gasket in a screw-down caseback watch because it went out of place... also I'm not 100% confident the new one stayed in place because of friction. With non-screwback G-Shocks and grease it should be easier.

- keeps water away

I think *gentle and crosswise* should work, I also looked a couple of youtube videos, and I hope/think I can manage not to strip threads. In a couple years my first GS will need a battery so I'll be prepared... Thank you!
    Phreddo likes this.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

I don't trust supposed experts to work on a G. They may be good with a snap back Seiko but not a G. If going to a store, go to one that sells shocks, and I don't mean Kohls or Walmart!

Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator
    MainePorsche and CCCP like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I hope/think I can manage not to strip threads.
    Use a jeweler's screwdriver that rotates in the fingers and don't tighten with your wrist, tighten with your fingers; finger tight is all you need. I put the cap of the screwdriver's shaft against the pad of my index finger, insert the business end into the screw's slot, and rotate the screwdriver's shaft with my thumb and index finger till each of the screws are "finger tight".

If you use the palm of your hand instead of the pad of your index finger there's a chance you'll put too much pressure on the blade in the screw slot (it's a natural thing) and blade will slip. If that happens you'll definitely need your watch to be properly sealed when you wash the blood off it.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; August 22nd, 2017 at 02:16.
    CCCP and Phreddo like this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

At your local auto parts store, purchase a tube of silicone dielectric grease. A few-ounce tube should last a lifetime. A little bit goes a loooong way. These watches are truly repair-friendly and very easy to maintain properly for many years. As mentioned above, finger-tight will do it. Stop when the screw bottoms. Not much to it.
    Last edited by J.D.B.; August 21st, 2017 at 05:39.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information