G-shock waveceptors - feedback loop?

Thread: G-shock waveceptors - feedback loop?

G-shock waveceptors - feedback loop?

Hi,

I was wondering if the G-shock waveceptors have a feedback loop?

Let me clarify.

Without signal reception my GW810 specifies accuracy of +/- 15 sec.

With signal reception the time is spot on (of course!)

Now, my question is this. Does the G-shock use any error in time (when signal reception is good) to "tune" the circuit so the +/-15 sec is improved when there is no signal calibration? i.e. a feedback loop that automatically calibrates the watch for even better accuracy when there is no signal reception.

Ghobbit

Re: G-shock waveceptors - feedback loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghobbit View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if the G-shock waveceptors have a feedback loop?

Let me clarify.

Without signal reception my GW810 specifies accuracy of +/- 15 sec.

With signal reception the time is spot on (of course!)

Now, my question is this. Does the G-shock use any error in time (when signal reception is good) to "tune" the circuit so the +/-15 sec is improved when there is no signal calibration? i.e. a feedback loop that automatically calibrates the watch for even better accuracy when there is no signal reception.

Ghobbit
    Based on my observations, no, it doesn't do this.

It's something that I've often wished it did.

My old HP-41CX calculator has something like this. When you reset the time, it works out from the error how inaccurate the internal clock must be, and uses this to correct itself. The next time you check, it'll be better.

Actually, I think it would be cool for Casio watches to do this self-correction even for manual time setting. Generally you don't muck with the seconds unless you actually have an accurate time source to justify zeroing it.

Thanks for the feedback dude.

It's too bad this calibration feature is not built in. It would allow the G-shock to be really accurate when traveling (for extended periods) to regions of the world where there is no transmitter. eg. Africa or India....

Ghobbit
    Last edited by Ghobbit; November 17th, 2007 at 22:43. Reason: typo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Having said that, isn't +/-15sec per month accurate enough when away from a transmitter?

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Having said that, isn't +/-15sec per month accurate enough when away from a transmitter?

Rusty
    Well, probably, but if you can improve a watch with a simple bit of software, why not?

The way I look at it, I want my watch to do the best it can given the technology. I'm not bothered with hyperaccuracy on mechanical watches because I'm aware of the limitations. But I know that an electronic quartz watch can normally do much better than the accuracy it has at the point of manufacture.

I like to tune my watches to get the best accuracy I can. People often misunderstand this, and think that I must be obsessed with timekeeping. But my obsession (or 'passion' to use a less pejorative word) is more with machines that work as well as they are capable. This applies to computers, radios, tools, PVRs, and watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghobbit View Post
    Thanks for the feedback dude.

It's too bad this calibration feature is not built in. It would allow the G-shock to be really accurate when traveling (for extended periods) to regions of the world where there is no transmitter. eg. Africa or India....

Ghobbit
    Of course, there's nothing to stop you spending a month or two tuning it yourself.

"WISes of the world, unite! We have nothing to lose but our sense of proportion!"

Thread Information