There was a recent thread about annual budget for watches and things escalated pretty quickly into more common watch-collecting axioms. It occurred to me that such acquired wisdom about Gs or watches in general should not be buried. What are your fine pieces of knowledge you acquired through your G-journey?
There could be repetitions or contradictions, no harm in discussing them. I'm sure there were already threads like this, but people and watches change and the whole point is to mark our progress. Lets start with the two gentlemen who gave the inspiration then add your own.
1. you really start to like what you like, even if you have a pretty broad taste, there's styles that you gravitate towards
2. it becomes a lot harder to justify a purchase or for a model to earn a seat at your collection table.
1. Negative displays really do suck
2. The ginormous Mudmaster, Gulfmaster, and Frogman series watches are too big (for me!)
3. Pro-Treks are just as tough as a G-Shock and are often overlooked and undervalued
4. The 5000/5600 series of square G-Shocks are very versatile watches. I never liked the form factor until I actually owned one (GW-M5610)
5. Atomic and solar are two desirable features that make a G-Shock a delightfully effortless watch to own. My automatics are always dead and on the wrong date when I'm in a hurry to get out of the house. My Gs never let me down
6. Resisting the desire to have multiple bright colorful Gs is a good idea. You think they would be fun to wear but in reality they tend to sit in the watch box, gathering dust
7. Snobbery exists at all levels of watch collecting, and it's best to ultimately decide what works for you and you only
1. Watch size is just a ballpark indication, the design of the watch (flaps, wings, protrusions, lugs, crown, etc.) makes a huge difference. Moreover, different manufacturers tend to measure their watches different ways - bezel, case, with or without crown, lug-to-lug...
2. Never ever buy a watch without trying it on first even if it looks fine on pictures.
3. Budget may be tight, but if you "settle", sooner or later you'll also get the one you wanted in the first place. So on the long run it may turn out cheaper to buy more expensive.
4. All watches have souls, although you may not be the one they speak to.
5. Readability should be high priority. You'll use the watch in less than optimal conditions and it should tell the time then as well.
6. Shock-, scratch-, and other resistance may be totally superfluous 99.9% of the time, but in the remaining 0.1% you'll be glad it was there to save your bottom. It only has to drop once.
7. When buying, always consider the intended use but don't overthink it. If you like the watch, you'll make wrist-time for it and even if it's not perfect for the job, you'll be still happy to have it on your wrist.