G-Shock wisdom
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: G-Shock wisdom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off Topic post G-Shock wisdom

There was a recent thread about annual budget for watches and things escalated pretty quickly into more common watch-collecting axioms. It occurred to me that such acquired wisdom about Gs or watches in general should not be buried. What are your fine pieces of knowledge you acquired through your G-journey?

There could be repetitions or contradictions, no harm in discussing them. I'm sure there were already threads like this, but people and watches change and the whole point is to mark our progress. Lets start with the two gentlemen who gave the inspiration then add your own.

Soulbridgemedia:

1. you really start to like what you like, even if you have a pretty broad taste, there's styles that you gravitate towards

2. it becomes a lot harder to justify a purchase or for a model to earn a seat at your collection table.

Lee-K:
    1. Negative displays really do suck
    2. The ginormous Mudmaster, Gulfmaster, and Frogman series watches are too big (for me!)
    3. Pro-Treks are just as tough as a G-Shock and are often overlooked and undervalued
    4. The 5000/5600 series of square G-Shocks are very versatile watches. I never liked the form factor until I actually owned one (GW-M5610)
    5. Atomic and solar are two desirable features that make a G-Shock a delightfully effortless watch to own. My automatics are always dead and on the wrong date when I'm in a hurry to get out of the house. My Gs never let me down
    6. Resisting the desire to have multiple bright colorful Gs is a good idea. You think they would be fun to wear but in reality they tend to sit in the watch box, gathering dust
    7. Snobbery exists at all levels of watch collecting, and it's best to ultimately decide what works for you and you only

Miklos86:
    1. Watch size is just a ballpark indication, the design of the watch (flaps, wings, protrusions, lugs, crown, etc.) makes a huge difference. Moreover, different manufacturers tend to measure their watches different ways - bezel, case, with or without crown, lug-to-lug...
    2. Never ever buy a watch without trying it on first even if it looks fine on pictures.
    3. Budget may be tight, but if you "settle", sooner or later you'll also get the one you wanted in the first place. So on the long run it may turn out cheaper to buy more expensive.
    4. All watches have souls, although you may not be the one they speak to.
    5. Readability should be high priority. You'll use the watch in less than optimal conditions and it should tell the time then as well.
    6. Shock-, scratch-, and other resistance may be totally superfluous 99.9% of the time, but in the remaining 0.1% you'll be glad it was there to save your bottom. It only has to drop once.
    7. When buying, always consider the intended use but don't overthink it. If you like the watch, you'll make wrist-time for it and even if it's not perfect for the job, you'll be still happy to have it on your wrist.
    Last edited by Miklos86; November 6th, 2018 at 10:00.
    - Casio G-Shock MR-G G1000B-1A
    - Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF
    - Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
    - Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600YBE-5
    -
    Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
    - Seiko Samurai Great White Shark edition SRPD23K1

Re: G-Shock wisdom

Name:  DW5600M 1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  104.6 KB

I learnt only one thing, but I am really disappointed by it.

Never buy matte coloured G-Shock.

I had a red 7900, a grey-whitish 6900 and I am wearing NOW a green 5600 (all matte) and they show heavy signs of wear becoming black or white in the points with major contact to sleeves (sleeves!!!!) or desk.

On 7900 and 6900 I already bought black resins, the green one is still on original bezel. I used it 10 times, and the when I used for TWO full days (camping + swimming pool, not nuclear war) I got white signs on bezel edges...WTF!

So, I love coloured G, but from now onwards only black or maybe glossy ones, they should resist better (I have only one glossy, DW-6930 I don't use so often, so I am not sure about this last sentence)

Name:  DW5600M 2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  258.9 KB
    Last edited by olandese83; November 6th, 2018 at 10:39.
    filcord likes this.

CC

Solar & MB6 every time & try before you buy if possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with all points above, not much to add.
    May be color.
    Some color combos look cool and interesting and later amusement wears off as well as watch itself sitting in the drawer.
    Don't buy because someone on forum likes it.
    Miklos86 likes this.
    It should be special!

Once you go screwback, you never go back?
    Ottovonn and chimin like this.

Don’t try fight the urge of buying. 99.9% of time it’s futile. Try divert it, with other things - A different G counts as other things too.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

G-Shock pricelevel does not matter:
    Cheap models bring as much fun as expensive models.
    You might be even more satisfied with a low budget model because of the freedom to damage it while being active without regret!

My expensive Gs are shelf queens.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    G-Shock pricelevel does not matter:
    Cheap models bring as much fun as expensive models.
    You might be even more satisfied with a low budget model because of the freedom to damage it while being active without regret!

My expensive Gs are shelf queens.
    I agree. I am a huge fan of the basic CA-53w calculator watch even though I own and have owned watches way pricier than it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rocket1991 and d2mac like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

I’ve learned to stop fighting my G Shock/ digital addiction. I’ve had a phases in which I tried to move away for G’s and into more traditional quartz and mechanical three handers.... It never lasts. I like resin and digital displays, I can’t help it.

Ive also learned through all the flipping I’ve done, that if its not a 100% keeper, buy used or on sale. I’ve made money on used watches. Flipping a new watch is always a loss.

Mudman, Riseman, Rangeman, Sadman

I ❤️ Casio

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I agree. I am a huge fan of the basic CA-53w calculator watch even though I own and have owned watches way pricier than it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing beats CA53 on charm. It's the only watch with some compliments incoming.
    Ottovonn likes this.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information