Are the G-Shocks considered as dive watches

Thread: Are the G-Shocks considered as dive watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Are the G-Shocks considered as dive watches

Since most of the G-Shocks are rated to at least 200m the standard entry rating for a dive watch if thats true, Then why are'nt they advertise as dive watches or I'm I missing something.:thanks

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Are the G-Shocks considered as dive watches

most people probably think about an analog watch when they talk about dive watches. most g-shocks are digital, so probably a lot of people do not associate them with diving.

but there are lots of pro divers wearing a g-shock, there is no reason to believe a G wouldn't do the job. its just not their advertised market.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Someone will know the correct name but the Frogman has been certified through some type of process. other Gs are not due to cost. They all should preform well though. when diving I allways used a dive computer watch is a back up.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I know ADAN does a 'Hydro' to his watches, which I believe is filling the watch with oil. Remember that 200M is 660FT so any G will do for regular scuba diving.

Wink Re: Are the G-Shocks considered as dive watches

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know G-Shocks are not advertised as dive watches, because they are not ISO rated. For these rating every watch need to be tested, which is pretty expensive. Only the Frogman is ISO rated for 200m water resistance. You can find the ISO rating back in the price.

This does not mean G-Shocks are not good for scuba diving. they are 20 bar water resist, only not certified, so they can keep the price down.

ADAN's Hydro's are not "just for scuba diving" (I dig that Hydro Raysman"). When air is replaced by silicon oil, you upgrade a 200m Water resist case to an approx. 1000m water resist case. Hydro's can be used for serious deep sea diving (with Nitrox and Heliox mixtures).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Most Gs are rated to pressure of 200m - apparently this is different to the actual water conditions at 200m.

The Frogman is the only ISO certified (international standards organisation) watch.
    I suspect that most Gs would survive a dive anyway! However i also believe promoting Gs as dive watches would distract from their main market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post

ADAN's Hydro's are not "just for scuba diving" (I dig that Hydro Raysman"). When air is replaced by silicon oil, you upgrade a 200m Water resist case to an approx. 1000m water resist case. Hydro's can be used for serious deep sea diving (with Nitrox and Heliox mixtures).

Cheers,

Sjors
    well sjors,

actually a hydro watch maximum reachable depth is infinite (or at least as deep as it gets which is about 11000 meters). however, the quarz vial will crack at about 5000-6000 meters, though the case itself will stay intact.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know G-Shocks are not advertised as dive watches, because they are not ISO rated. For these rating every watch need to be tested, which is pretty expensive. Only the Frogman is ISO rated for 200m water resistance. You can find the ISO rating back in the price.

This does not mean G-Shocks are not good for scuba diving. they are 20 bar water resist, only not certified, so they can keep the price down.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Great info, thanks Sjors.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerNJ View Post
    Most Gs are rated to pressure of 200m - apparently this is different to the actual water conditions at 200m.
    thats why i prefer the term "20bar". it is a precise physical measurement on how much pressure a watch can take, regardless of the liquid dense.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

try asking this question on the dive watch forum. There are lots of active military and other prof. divers on that forum that will tell you that g-shock is one of the most popular dive wathes in thier fields. If it's good enugh for the Navy SEALS, its good enugh for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information