Which G-Shocks have a compass?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which G-Shocks have a compass?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which G-Shocks have a compass?

... and how well does it work? I really like the idea of having a compass on a G-Shock but do they work reliably and well, from a car for example? I've heard they work better outside, 'in the wilderness'.

Re: Which G-Shocks have a compass?

MOST compasses aren't going to work in a car, surrounded by large chunks of metal -- and the compasses in G-Shocks are no exception. They work best when they're away from large pieces of metal (like cars and buildings) and away from electrical fields (as also found in buildings and cars.)

In the ancient days of paper maps (long before GPS and smartphones) there were relatively inexpensive "stick on" car compasses for dashboards that didn't work particularly well. There were also higher priced versions that allowed the car owner to turn a couple of small adjustment screws until the compass was properly adjusted to work inside that particular car's magnetic field -- but the compass had to be mounted TO the vehicle for it to work properly, since moving the compass a few feet across the dashboard could throw off those adjustments. When people sold their cars, if they took their compass out and put it in the new car, the compass had to be re-calibrated.

From every thread I've seen around here, most G-Shock compasses are RELATIVELY accurate outdoors and able to find "north" within a few degrees. That's probably okay if you're standing at a crossroads on a cloudy day, wondering which way is east, but they're NOT considered accurate enough for hard-core orienteering or if you need to to find an exact azimuth of 263 degrees.

Current Casio models with a compass include the G- and GW-9300 Mudman, the GW-9400 Rangeman, and virtually every Pro Trek or Pathfinder model. Pro Treks/Pathfinders also usually include altimeter, barometer and thermometer features as well. Pro Treks may not be QUITE as tough as G-Shocks, but they can probably handle 90% of the abuse and still function perfectly -- their minor Achilles' heel are usually metal bezels which will show signs of minor dings and scrapes that a resin G-Shock bezel wouldn't show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Current Casio models with a compass include the G- and GW-9300 Mudman, the GW-9400 Rangeman, and virtually every Pro Trek or Pathfinder model. Pro Treks/Pathfinders also usually include altimeter, barometer and thermometer features as well. Pro Treks may not be QUITE as tough as G-Shocks, but they can probably handle 90% of the abuse and still function perfectly -- their minor Achilles' heel are usually metal bezels which will show signs of minor dings and scrapes that a resin G-Shock bezel wouldn't show.
    But on the other hand, all ProTrek/Pathfinder models I've seen use the full display diameter for the compass, rather than the little eye used on the G-Shocks. This makes the compass easier to read.
    Rocat, JohnM, Izzy_Does_It and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No a compass will not work in a car IMO.

The best non G-Shock, Pathfinder, Pro Trek, Casio I've found is the SGW-100. It uses the outer ring for the compass pointer, has a tough as nails case, has mineral glass crystal, plus big digits, and 200m WR. The EL lights up the digits only and not the whole display so as not to mess up your night vision. It can be had in resin strap or fabric strap versions. There are even models now that use multi colored cases and negative lcds. All that for around $50.
    Name:  P1050002.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  1.16 MB
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post

The best non G-Shock, Pathfinder, Pro Trek, Casio I've found is the SGW-100. It uses the outer ring for the compass pointer, has a tough as nails case, has mineral glass crystal, plus big digits, and 200m WR. The EL lights up the digits only and not the whole display so as not to mess up your night vision. It can be had in resin strap or fabric strap versions. There are even models now that use multi colored cases and negative lcds. All that for around $50.
    I have one of these with the green case and green fabric strap. The display is very crisp with a lot of contrast. It's probably among the best displays on any of my digital watches. I like the blue and green tinted areas too.
    Subafan and Rocat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    But on the other hand, all ProTrek/Pathfinder models I've seen use the full display diameter for the compass, rather than the little eye used on the G-Shocks. This makes the compass easier to read.
    I have several Pathfinders but zero G-Shocks with compasses, so I had no idea G's didn't use the whole display for that as well!

Very nice Rocat -- very legible screen and only $47!

It has been out for a while. If I understand correctly, this remains your favorite Casio with a compass -- or are there Pathfinders/Pro Treks you prefer?

Thanks.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post

Mrcrooka1 and dlavi like this.

The Rangeman does, but I haven't used the compass much.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Very nice Rocat -- very legible screen and only $47!

It has been out for a while. If I understand correctly, this remains your favorite Casio with a compass -- or are there Pathfinders/Pro Treks you prefer?

Thanks.
    John

My favorite is the PAG-80 (older sensors) that I added a fabric strap to replace the standard resin strap. The fabric strap is from a Japan only model.
    Name:  PC300063.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  1.03 MBName:  P6140009.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  1.13 MB

My next one is the standard PRG-270. Bottom right in picture.
    Name:  P2260112.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  1.35 MB
    Last edited by Rocat; January 21st, 2016 at 15:01. Reason: added picture
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information