G-Shocks as an investment?

Thread: G-Shocks as an investment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G-Shocks as an investment?

Of course I'm not seriously suggesting that G-Shocks should be considered a good investment, or that they can make you any money.

I was looking at a thread on another forum about watches (slightly more expensive watches than G-Shocks ) as investments, and one of the posters mentioned that he had made an average loss of 11%, which made me wonder.

I keep a spreadsheet of what I bought, when, how much I paid, when I sold it, and how much for (bit sad, I know). Anyway, I'm currently running at -5.86%

So, G-Shocks: cheaper to buy, no servicing costs, better re-sale value. win:win:win
    'I never done it'

Re: G-Shocks as an investment?

For me I would concider it a full out hobby. I haven't gone up-side down in a G-Shock yet, though I do have a hard time getting rid of them, an occasional flip or 2 of the ones that I don't wear if something new and awesome comes out, thats kinda what happened with the GA-100 all black I just bought. Never thought about writing down the prices of each that I paid,....
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Suspended

In my experience G Shocks are certainly the easiest to sell because of popularity and keep link new condition much longer than anything else I have owned. I think it is a poor choice of an investment, but all things considered, G Shocks are a good choice for the catch and release type of person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wish my losses ran at -5.8%.

I haven't got the figures, but would guess that I lose 40% on other brands, and 60% plus on G-Shocks.

But then I've never been a canny shopper...
    Last edited by tribe125; April 5th, 2010 at 06:14.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I wish my losses ran at -5.8%.

I haven't got the figures, but would guess that I lose 40% on other brands, and 60% plus on G-shocks.

But then I've never been a canny shopper...
    I'm curious how you guys calculate your losses? Shipping costs included? How about depreciation over time?

I know I'm getting some accounting details now, but hey, might as well be accurate, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    I'm curious how you guys calculate your losses? Shipping costs included? How about depreciation over time?

I know I'm getting some accounting details now, but hey, might as well be accurate, right?
    In my case, simply purchase price v sale price.

I don't take shipping costs or import duty into account, because I can never remember what they are after I've paid them.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I don't buy G-Shocks as an investment, but rather I collect them as a hobby. I believe that only the selected models (limited editions such as 25th anniversary, Dawn Blacks, etc) have the potential to become more valuable than their initial prices because these have a limited production period.

The vintage models are certainly a good resellers because if they can be refurbished into better condition (and they are in okay condition to begin with), they can be sold at a decent prices. Of course, it really depends on the economy and how much people are willing to pay for at a particular time. People don't like G-Shocks will not buy them ever, but for people who love them they can spend a tons on them.

I too cant see G-Shocks as an investment, maybe Frogmen. I guess if your G was solid gold and diamond encrusted that may be an investment vehicle but otherwise.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. Seiko SRP639KI & lots of G-Shocks.

I choose to think watches for the most part are pure hobby material, especially with the these casio designs that dictate fashion and functionality flow of any generation.
    "It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin"
    G511D.G5600E.GW5600.PRG110T.DW6900.DW6900MS.

I had 2 1980's vintage 5600 models (black and yellow) that I put up for sale on eBay via auction a few years back. They sold quickly. The yellow one sold for about 4x my original purchase price and the black one, for around 3x.

I was amazed, but was just lucky. I would not consider G Shocks an investment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information