G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    27

    G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Hey Guys. Thought I'd drop this nugget of knowledge for you. I know it makes me feel even better about my G-Shock 5600 "Black-out".

    I work with a USAFA Grad who went to pilot training. He decided flying wasn't his thing, but he did tell me he was issued a G-Shock 5600 in USAF flight school. That's pretty cool and just goes to show you how awesome the G-Shocks really are.

  2. #2
    Member Eric.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
    Hey Guys. Thought I'd drop this nugget of knowledge for you. I know it makes me feel even better about my G-Shock 5600 "Black-out".

    I work with a USAFA Grad who went to pilot training. He decided flying wasn't his thing, but he did tell me he was issued a G-Shock 5600 in USAF flight school. That's pretty cool and just goes to show you how awesome the G-Shocks really are.
    What ! No gravity master?! :P

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    46

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    That is really cool to hear. I am a USAF vet myself, sadly they never issues a watch to me but almost everyone wore a Timex triathlon or a G Shock. I my self wore a Timex most of the time due to price and I liked how the watch was small enough to fit easily under my cuff and not hang up on gear. Bought mine while in the middle east over ten years ago and it is still running on the original battery! Enjoy your G Shock!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member J_NL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    267

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Some time ago about 30 or so soldiers of the Dutch armed forces were marching over a bridge close to where I live.
    As I slowly passed them on my bicycle, I took a glance at the wrists of most of these men. Many of them were also wearing G-Shocks.
    I am pretty sure it's the most popular watch among members of armed forces no matter the country they serve for.

  6. #5
    Member pl_gristle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    533

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    I wonder if they have any special markings identifying them as US military issue? I think that would be really nice.

  7. #6
    JAA
    JAA is offline
    Member JAA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    621

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    My guess is that they were bought and issued by the unit. Not procured under some large scale mil-spec contract. But if there were an Air Force official issue watch, DW-5600 sounds like ideal.
    Kattywampus likes this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    27

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Colmustard86 View Post
    That is really cool to hear. I am a USAF vet myself, sadly they never issues a watch to me but almost everyone wore a Timex triathlon or a G Shock. I my self wore a Timex most of the time due to price and I liked how the watch was small enough to fit easily under my cuff and not hang up on gear. Bought mine while in the middle east over ten years ago and it is still running on the original battery! Enjoy your G Shock!
    I too am a USAF Vet. I too wore a Timex Ironman during my time in Kandahar. Unfortunately I took it SCUBA diving and turned it into an aquarium. That was before I knew what 50 meters water resistance really meant.
    Colmustard86 and StephenWatch like this.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    27

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Quote Originally Posted by pl_gristle View Post
    I wonder if they have any special markings identifying them as US military issue? I think that would be really nice.
    I don't think so. They are no longer required to buy "official mil-spec" equipment like they used to, with official military markings. Now their supply officer can go online with the squadron's credit card and order them up. It just has to be justifiable. (no orders of 100 Breitling Navitimers)
    umarrajs likes this.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    438

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
    I don't think so. They are no longer required to buy "official mil-spec" equipment like they used to, with official military markings. Now their supply officer can go online with the squadron's credit card and order them up. It just has to be justifiable. (no orders of 100 Breitling Navitimers)
    I can imagine that the cost of a single Navitimer is much harder to explain than the order of about 35 Casio DW-6900s and a box of CR2016 batteries and a small philips screwdriver.

  11. #10
    Member Tsarli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    907

    Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

    So is this the same 5600 being sold for $45 on Amazon? Isn't this model also flight certified by NASA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •