G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

Hey Guys. Thought I'd drop this nugget of knowledge for you. I know it makes me feel even better about my G-Shock 5600 "Black-out".

I work with a USAFA Grad who went to pilot training. He decided flying wasn't his thing, but he did tell me he was issued a G-Shock 5600 in USAF flight school. That's pretty cool and just goes to show you how awesome the G-Shocks really are.

Re: G-Shocks are today's USAF issued watches

Quote Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
    Hey Guys. Thought I'd drop this nugget of knowledge for you. I know it makes me feel even better about my G-Shock 5600 "Black-out".

I work with a USAFA Grad who went to pilot training. He decided flying wasn't his thing, but he did tell me he was issued a G-Shock 5600 in USAF flight school. That's pretty cool and just goes to show you how awesome the G-Shocks really are.
    What ! No gravity master?! :P

That is really cool to hear. I am a USAF vet myself, sadly they never issues a watch to me but almost everyone wore a Timex triathlon or a G Shock. I my self wore a Timex most of the time due to price and I liked how the watch was small enough to fit easily under my cuff and not hang up on gear. Bought mine while in the middle east over ten years ago and it is still running on the original battery! Enjoy your G Shock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some time ago about 30 or so soldiers of the Dutch armed forces were marching over a bridge close to where I live.
    As I slowly passed them on my bicycle, I took a glance at the wrists of most of these men. Many of them were also wearing G-Shocks.
    I am pretty sure it's the most popular watch among members of armed forces no matter the country they serve for.

I wonder if they have any special markings identifying them as US military issue? I think that would be really nice.

JAA

My guess is that they were bought and issued by the unit. Not procured under some large scale mil-spec contract. But if there were an Air Force official issue watch, DW-5600 sounds like ideal.
    Kattywampus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmustard86 View Post
    That is really cool to hear. I am a USAF vet myself, sadly they never issues a watch to me but almost everyone wore a Timex triathlon or a G Shock. I my self wore a Timex most of the time due to price and I liked how the watch was small enough to fit easily under my cuff and not hang up on gear. Bought mine while in the middle east over ten years ago and it is still running on the original battery! Enjoy your G Shock!
    I too am a USAF Vet. I too wore a Timex Ironman during my time in Kandahar. Unfortunately I took it SCUBA diving and turned it into an aquarium. That was before I knew what 50 meters water resistance really meant.
    Colmustard86 and StephenWatch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pl_gristle View Post
    I wonder if they have any special markings identifying them as US military issue? I think that would be really nice.
    I don't think so. They are no longer required to buy "official mil-spec" equipment like they used to, with official military markings. Now their supply officer can go online with the squadron's credit card and order them up. It just has to be justifiable. (no orders of 100 Breitling Navitimers)
    umarrajs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
    I don't think so. They are no longer required to buy "official mil-spec" equipment like they used to, with official military markings. Now their supply officer can go online with the squadron's credit card and order them up. It just has to be justifiable. (no orders of 100 Breitling Navitimers)
    I can imagine that the cost of a single Navitimer is much harder to explain than the order of about 35 Casio DW-6900s and a box of CR2016 batteries and a small philips screwdriver.

So is this the same 5600 being sold for $45 on Amazon? Isn't this model also flight certified by NASA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information