Are G-Shocks tough enough for airsoft?

Thread: Are G-Shocks tough enough for airsoft?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are G-Shocks tough enough for airsoft?

I'm thinking of getting a nice DW6900 series G-Shock (hopefully the 20th Anniversary model) and something I do every weekend is play airsoft.
    What initially drew me to G-Shocks was a friend of mine in the Airforce that I play airsoft with came back from active duty in Africa and he brought back a basic DW6900 he "found" in one of the transport planes. Not sure if Army, Marines or airmen where in the plane but he brought one back and I thought it looked really cool. I've also seen G-Shocks mentioned by other guys that are in the service and seen them in movies and stuff so it'd be the perfect accessory for my airsoft military "load out".
    however I know they're tough watches but are the faces made of any particular impact resistant material? I can't tell you how many watch faces I've seen shattered by the small plastic pellets we play with that fly at 400 feet per second. the last thing I want to do is take a cherished $200 rare G-Shock out to a game only to get it broken.
    so do you guys know if the faces are strong and if maybe you've had an experience where one of yours took a hit from something and lived?
    thanks in advance

Banned

Re: Are G-Shocks tough enough for airsoft?

I'm not saying that they won't break, but the crystals are plastic on some and much softer than a sapphire, which some of the higher end models do have, or mineral for that matter and the plastic is going to have a bit more give to it instead of shattering instantly. That's not to say it won't leave a hell of a mark. I wore my watches playing paintball, but that was before I really got into watches and it was just a tool that I put on my wrist to tell time. I don't think I would hesitate to wear it during paintball now either.

Even if everything is fine, why would you want to take a collectible G-Shock out there? Wouldn't a sub-$100 6900 work just a well? Or do you want to be stylin' while you "get your gun off"...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yes it is tough enough for airsoft.

read all about it here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ight=paintball
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

The crystal is the weakest point of a 'G' shock.

It will react better to impacts on any part of its construction than most watches. However, with a direct impact to the crystal it will only react the same. See Buzzzbaits 'Destruction' test!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jenkem View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a nice DW6900 series G-Shock (hopefully the 20th Anniversary model) and something I do every weekend is play airsoft.
    What initially drew me to G-Shocks was a friend of mine in the Airforce that I play airsoft with came back from active duty in Africa and he brought back a basic DW6900 he "found" in one of the transport planes. Not sure if Army, Marines or airmen where in the plane but he brought one back and I thought it looked really cool. I've also seen G-Shocks mentioned by other guys that are in the service and seen them in movies and stuff so it'd be the perfect accessory for my airsoft military "load out".
    however I know they're tough watches but are the faces made of any particular impact resistant material? I can't tell you how many watch faces I've seen shattered by the small plastic pellets we play with that fly at 400 feet per second. the last thing I want to do is take a cherished $200 rare G-Shock out to a game only to get it broken.
    so do you guys know if the faces are strong and if maybe you've had an experience where one of yours took a hit from something and lived?
    thanks in advance
    Just wear the face of the watch on the inside of the palm.

So the paint balls hit the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    The crystal is the weakest point of a 'G' shock.

It will react better to impacts on any part of its construction than most watches. However, with a direct impact to the crystal it will only react the same. See Buzzzbaits 'Destruction' test!

Mitch

TTT

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post

Airsoft pellets are smaller and harder than paintballs.

I doubt they would smash the crystal, but better safe than sorry. Either put something (sleeve? bandanna?) over the face of the watch, or don't wear it.
    Having said that, I've worn a Seiko with a sapphire crystal paintballing, so it's probably not a big deal. The odds of something actually hitting the crystal aren't very good.

I probably wouldn't wear one, at least not a favourite one...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post

agreed, wear on the inside of the wrist while shooting, then flip it when done.

Quote Originally Posted by 316L View Post
    agreed, wear on the inside of the wrist while shooting, then flip it when done.

Hey, how about a pocket watch instead...??

Hmm, on 2nd thoughts, nah.... not cool...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information