G thoughts

Thread: G thoughts

G thoughts

I was just reading the thread (sort) about changing the gaskets and seals on a G, and it occurred to me. Why doesn't Casio use the same type of pusher technology that Breitling does on their Avenger Seawolf Chrono?

Then, I went and looked, and unfortunately it turns out Breitling patented it. They use magnetic pushers so the pusher-buttons don't penetrate the case. So the Seawolf Chrono is fully functional even at extreme depth (supposedly 1000m, like anyone would find themselves THERE needing to push a button). But at least you don't have to worry about seals......

So, on to something else that has kinda been bugging me. WHY IS IT that Casio can't quite seem to get it right? I mean, WHO HERE PREFERS a 60 minute CDT that only adjusts in whole minute increments? They have had the capability since the old 601 or 691 module to have a 24 hr CDT that adjusts down to the second. Am I the only one that uses partial minute timers?

I have two G's that are just about, ALMOST, SO CLOSE TO, perfect that it is maddening. They are the G-2300 and the MTG-900. What makes them not perfect (for me, that is)? Well, the G-2300 would be THE PERFECT daily G if it had a snooze alarm. Just ONE stinkin' snooze alarm. EVERYTHING else it has is exactly what I need, almost entirely. AND you can set the alarms that it DOES have to go off daily, on a specific date, one full month, or once a month. AWESOME! I can deal without having time in every mode. I can deal with not having atomic synch. It has the 24hr CDT with setting down to the second. But no snooze?!

Then there is the MTG-900. Most comfortable G I've encountered. Solar AND atomic, which is great, even though not essential to me. Not such a variety of alarm capabilities, but it has a snooze alarm, which I use DAILY during the work week. But NO CDT. AT ALL. Time recorder?! WTF?! I know... some use it. And I've even used it. When I'm sick and taking medications on a regular schedule. But I could do that with a good CDT! IOW, a time recorder is essentially, completely, useless.... to me.

Now don't get me wrong.... I've got the G-sickness bad. They do such a variety of things with their various watches, so well, that I'm helpless to resist. I've got one for kayaking, one for hunting, one for backpacking/camping, one for working on my car, one for comfort, one for sleeping, one specifically for business travel, one for rockclimbing, (hoping for one soon) for biking, etc. ad nauseum. I love these things. And if you look at what I just typed, you'll see that Casio has a pretty good business model. But MAN is it frustrating sometimes.....

OK, off my rant. Sorry... back to your regularly scheduled G-forum.... and :thanks for your indulgence....

OH, and yeah, I think I've seen similar threads before.... but I felt like ranting on my own....

Re: G thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    WHY IS IT that Casio can't quite seem to get it right?
    I don't think you're alone in feeling this way, dogboy. But until Casio starts charging $500+ for an average G-Shock, I don't think I'll be complaining (too much).

As with the G-Shock love, it's how it is with love in general; it is not blind -- it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

in my opinion, the one G that comes closest to perfection right now, is the G-7710/7700 series. it does almost everything one can think of and what might be useful to an individual. I think it only lacks two features to be complete which is a specific date alarm (though you can set an alarm daily, only once, only for weekdays or only for weekend - and it got an snooze alarm ) and the other is, that it would have been nice if the el-backlight could be set for 3 or 5 seconds (the 1.5 sec backlight is something that i critized on a lot of casio watches).

my G-7710 is so darn accurate (when worn, not one second gain or loss in a month) that i don't need atomic on this one and since it uses a high-power CR2025 3 volt lithium battery, i don't care much about solar either.

its main display (timekeeping mode) is to my knowlegde the most informative and best used (without wasting space for silly "eyes" or similar) of any g-shock made to date.

personally i don't care if casio says better not to push buttons under water, i just do it. and honestly i can't see why that shouldn't work, at least none of my watches have me ever failed.

none-the-less: the totally perfect G doesn't exist and i have a feeling that it never will. but since none of us here have only one, but rather three, four at minimum, it is save to presume that there is always one that suits for whatever reason or job functionwise best.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

All true, holger - I just can't bring myself to like the look of it. Just a personal preference of course.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

well tribe, you might be surprised that i felt the same way like you for a long time. I always wondered, what is so special about this model when i read numerous posts about it. long story short: one day i bought a G-7710C-2ER for my girlfriends birthday because she like the colour turquoise so much. naturally, i played a bit around with the watch before wrapping it and i think it was then when it just hit me. well, it didn't took to long to the point when i decided that i gotta have one of this too . of course i wanted something more masculine, so i did choose the G-7710-1V - black with negative display. since i got it, no other watch has made it for such a long time uninterrupted on my wrist (and you know how long a month can be...) and if i had to choose - for now - between three out of all my watches, the G-7710 would be most definitely among them

regards, holger
    Last edited by cal..45; April 8th, 2009 at 16:23.
    We are 12.6 %

I just realized that the G-7700's face reminded me of this guy:

DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Thread Information