G and Travelling
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: G and Travelling

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G and Travelling

I travel a lot. Been wearing a pricey automatic but have gotten tired of having to look up times and set them. So I am looking for a sub $200 g shock possibly. Would prefer all black with negative display. I would also like atomic and solar. Would also like to put on a nato strap.

Saw the 6900 version but can't seem to find those are a reasonable price.

Any ideas?

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: G and Travelling

For all following suggestions:
    Nato Strap is possible with additional 16mm strap adapters, either Casio or aftermarket.

GW-M5610BB, square with black display and world time, well below 200$
    GR-8900A-1, round with large light button, even cheaper then the 5610 here (Germany)
    GW-7900B, with wings under the strap that need to be removed befor a nato strap adapter can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeinhb View Post
    I travel a lot. Been wearing a pricey automatic but have gotten tired of having to look up times and set them. So I am looking for a sub $200 g shock possibly. Would prefer all black with negative display. I would also like atomic and solar. Would also like to put on a nato strap.

Saw the 6900 version but can't seem to find those are a reasonable price.

Any ideas?
    Mike K, nb9001 and Deepsea_dweller like this.

I would suggest GD-400 as a great traveling watch... Super comfortable to wear and it has a function to display 4 timezones (your local + 3).

You scroll through them with pressing bottom right button. It's not solar/atomic though, but battery should last for a long time.

idkfa, nb9001, Rocat and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if you care to venture a little away from Gs, protreks are just as tough but have much cleaner displays (and usually better negatives too) and are a good choice for travel esp. with their triple sensors
    prg270 no multiband (well depending on what listing you look at lol)

prw3500

my personal fave if you can find one prw1500

or its slimmer cousin prw1300
    idkfa, GaryK30 and filthyj24 like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    I would suggest GD-400 as a great traveling watch... Super comfortable to wear and it has a function to display 4 timezones (your local + 3).

You scroll through them with pressing bottom right button. It's not solar/atomic though, but battery should last for a long time.

I'm not so worried about solar. Can live without. But want atomic. I have the 7710 but I hate setting the time/del for every time zone. Defeats my purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeinhb View Post
    I'm not so worried about solar. Can live without. But want atomic. I have the 7710 but I hate setting the time/del for every time zone. Defeats my purpose.
    What exactly do you mean by "del" for every time zone?

Another thing to consider in your travels is that atomic watches can't and don't adjust for DST in areas outside of their reception area. If (for instance) you live in the Eastern US time zone and have "NYC" set as your home city, in the spring the watch will automatically adjust DST for the other North American cities but it WON'T adjust for cities in the UK or Europe or elsewhere, and you'll have to adjust those manually. Part of that is because the entire world doesn't use the same two DST dates in the spring and fall, and part of that is because since governments keep switching those dates, Casio doesn't program them into their "world time" watches.

As you travel, you'll either need to turn DST on or off as needed for each location you visit OR you might try switching the home city to see what cities the watch will automatically adjust when it synchs that night (but of course, that means waiting overnight and it would probably just be easier to do it manually.)
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post

That is a great looking watch, and I may have to get one. Love the bullbars. My only concerns about this one as a traveling watch are: 1 - does it have a Snooze alarm. and 2- how loud ARE those alarms?

That's why the ugly dust encrusted lump below is MY traveling watch: The G-7900-1. Loud 20 second alarms with Snooze. And having an indicator for each alarm is surprisingly useful. Great ergonomics, a good backup alarm. The best (imho) module ever. If you can get past the looks.

Name:  P1050393.JPG
Views: 747
Size:  1.57 MBName:  P1050394.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  1.55 MBName:  P1050391.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  1.42 MB
    nigelw and Crater like this.

When making your decision, it may be advisable to stick to models with the 5th light button for travel, because they make it easier to scroll through cities in the world time mode by allowing you to scroll in both directions. Just a thought (correct me if I'm wrong guys, just going by my best recollection).

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    When making your decision, it may be advisable to stick to models with the 5th light button for travel, because they make it easier to scroll through cities in the world time mode by allowing you to scroll in both directions. Just a thought (correct me if I'm wrong guys, just going by my best recollection).
    Good point. I recall a video by fwupow where he makes this point when comparing, iirc, a GD-120 and a G-8900 from the point of view of a traveler, and found the G-8900 superior because of this.

G and Travelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "del" for every time zone?

Another thing to consider in your travels is that atomic watches can't and don't adjust for DST in areas outside of their reception area. If (for instance) you live in the Eastern US time zone and have "NYC" set as your home city, in the spring the watch will automatically adjust DST for the other North American cities but it WON'T adjust for cities in the UK or Europe or elsewhere, and you'll have to adjust those manually. Part of that is because the entire world doesn't use the same two DST dates in the spring and fall, and part of that is because since governments keep switching those dates, Casio doesn't program them into their "world time" watches.

As you travel, you'll either need to turn DST on or off as needed for each location you visit OR you might try switching the home city to see what cities the watch will automatically adjust when it synchs that night (but of course, that means waiting overnight and it would probably just be easier to do it manually.)
    Sorry about that. Auto correct on iPhone. I ment dst

Didn't know that about dst. I figured the atomic would sync all time zones based on the date vso it would change dst for Europe when. That calendar day comes up. Based on this, changing time manually might be easier.

I may just get the DW6900MS-1
    Last edited by Madeinhb; February 25th, 2016 at 02:03.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information