G2800 vs. Timex Expedition Decision

Thread: G2800 vs. Timex Expedition Decision

Banned

G2800 vs. Timex Expedition Decision

I am in a silly quandary. I recently bought a G2800 to replace my Expedition. I love the solar aspect, the bold number font, and other details. I don't like the 60-minute countdown timer or the dimmer display.

The Expedition has larger numbers and a cleaner, brighter display.

The downside is that the crystal isn't protected as it is on the G-Shock, and it seems to be more cheaply made.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the construction quality of the two, or your opinion? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: G2800 vs. Timex Expedition Decision

I can't tell anything about the timex but I had he G-2800 for a few years. its a nice watch, wears rather small and the band is rather uncomfortable that's why I gave it lately to a friend. the digits are among the biggest of all g-shocks and the good thing about the 60min CDT is, that it starts counting up, once it reaches zero. I used the CDT a lot as stopwatch this way, so I was able to see the current time while stopping.

I have a similar MTG-911 (aka MI:3 watch) with metal bracelet and besides the much cooler look, this watch wears extremely comfortable.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Tough choice. I have several Timex Expedition (including the mid-size version of the model in the picture you posted) and they're all extremely well built and excellent VFM. This is my favourite - a gorgeous watch in the metal - and daily wearer until I got my first G-Shock:

However, in my experience, if there's anything you don't like about a watch before you buy, any other compensating features won't really compensate. You can be certain that the niggles will annoy the heck out of you once the watch is on your wrist.

The Timex is not as tough as the G, but then nothing is... That doesn't mean it's not a great watch, though. (I have an Ironman Flix that I use for running - awesome watch). The display is certainly clearer. If I were you, I'd get the Timex from an online store. That way you can check it out and return it if it doesn't do it for you. You might even like it...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a Timex Expedition similar to the one in the picture. Here's my take on it.

Pros:

2nd time zone is visible with a button push - no scrolling through the modes to the 2nd time zone.

When the stopwatch and countdown timer are running icons - clock face for stopwatch and hour glass for countdown timer appear on the display.

24 hour stopwatch and countdown timer. Stopwatch has more split times/lap times than a G Shock.

3 alarms that can be set to daily, weekdays, or just weekends. Alarms are loud and the EL backlight flashes when the alarms sounds.

Fast wrap strap.

Timekeeping is more accurate than a low end G Shock

Beep can be turned off.

Month day format can be changed to day month.

Both AM and PM indicators.

Cons:

Crystal is acrylic.

Crystal is not as well protected as a G Shock.

Build quality not as good.

Bezel can't be replaced.

Battery may be more difficult to change.

I paid $30 for my Expedition at Walmart and I'm happy with it.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by twincity View Post
    I have a Timex Expedition similar to the one in the picture. Here's my take on it.

Pros:

2nd time zone is visible with a button push - no scrolling through the modes to the 2nd time zone.

When the stopwatch and countdown timer are running icons - clock face for stopwatch and hour glass for countdown timer appear on the display.

24 hour stopwatch and countdown timer. Stopwatch has more split times/lap times than a G Shock.

3 alarms that can be set to daily, weekdays, or just weekends. Alarms are loud and the EL backlight flashes when the alarms sounds.

Fast wrap strap.

Timekeeping is more accurate than a low end G Shock

Beep can be turned off.

Month day format can be changed to day month.

Both AM and PM indicators.

Cons:

Crystal is acrylic.

Crystal is not as well protected as a G Shock.

Build quality not as good.

Bezel can't be replaced.

Battery may be more difficult to change.

I paid $30 for my Expedition at Walmart and I'm happy with it.

besides the two functions I highlighted red on the pros, almost every feature can be found in the G-7710/7700 series (though 10h stopwatch only, but 2x100h CDT on the other hand). personally I think the G-7710/7700 series is the best and most advanced non-atomic/non-solar model to date. also the timekeeping is outstanding on mine, after three and a half weeks wearing 24/7 it was spot on to the second with my atomic watch.

regards, holger
    Last edited by cal..45; February 18th, 2009 at 22:22.
    We are 12.6 %

I agree if there is anything you don't like, forget it. It bugs my until I just take it back. Like analog chronographs for me. I can't own them no matter what. I have to have the big seconds hand ticking off the seconds. It can be no other way, for me anyway.

both are good.......
    i like them all...
    watches are meant to tell times..

Thread Information