G2900 comes into my life...
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: G2900 comes into my life...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member Gary622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    132

    G2900 comes into my life...

    I've spent a bunch of time buying a Traser watch recently, and my wife knows it. So when I walk in from work this afternoon and she's got two identical G2900s on the table, I said "those aren't mine."

    Turns out her Dad wanted me to set them - he got the settings mixed up on them, and couldn't get the time and dates right. So I get them both sorted out and set to time signal, and got them back to him. While doing this I asked "why does your dad have two identical watches?" Turns out he'd misplaced one, bought another, then found the first one.

    So then he offers me one, and being a WIS in training I didn't turn him down.

    One thing I haven't figured out. The two "sails" tick up and down 10 seconds, and the "subdial" at upper left ticks off 10 minutes, but the patterns vary. What's the rhyme or reason for when they start out dark and turn off vs. when they start out blank and turn dark?


    Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    l_cypher, Iyonk and nigelw like this.
    Collection: A 1980's Seiko quartz analog 6530-7009, a Citizen day/date quartz analog 6100-S24876 that's nearly as old, a Casio AMW320D-9EV (stainless ana-digi), a Timex Ironman, an Atomic G-Shock GW1500A-1AV ana-digi, a Seiko Kinetic SKA547, a Casio G-Shock G2900, a Traser Officer, a Seiko SNZG009, & 2 each of the Seiko SKX007 (one on Strapcode Oyster bracelet, another normally on NATOs).

  2. #2
    Member Mike K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,784

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Congrats on the new watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary622 View Post
    One thing I haven't figured out. The two "sails" tick up and down 10 seconds, and the "subdial" at upper left ticks off 10 minutes, but the patterns vary. What's the rhyme or reason for when they start out dark and turn off vs. when they start out blank and turn dark?
    I have no idea how the little segments work on that model -- what Casio calls the "graphic areas" -- but on other models, they'll just "fill up" until all the segments are dark, then start to count down until they're empty, then start over again. On the GW-6900, the 10-segment circular "graphic area" is empty at midnight (0:00.00) and starts to fill up from that point.

    I DO find it interesting that the G-2900 owner's manual at http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2548.pdf says that "all of the graphic area segments start to flash, starting from the point the Timekeeping Mode time reaches one hour before an alarm time" -- kind of a visual "pre-alarm" reminder that "the alarm will go off soon."

    That manual might also be useful if you decide you want to use any of the e-data functions in the future.
    Last edited by Mike K; March 6th, 2014 at 07:01.

  3. #3
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Dont worry to much about the meaning of the sails. They have no.

    The 2900 is a nice G though, somewhat underrepresented here in this forum.
    There are features that are better then average in a G:
    - E-Data store
    - 10 years battery
    - big and bold display

    Wear in good health!
    Rocat likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Sedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bamberg, Germany
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    I especially like the alarm mode with the little text you can put in and the useful reset to 00:00 when you press the two rightside buttons together.
    Until the release of the GD-X6900 this was also the last G-Shock to be advertised as a 10 yr battery model. Enjoy!

    Cheers, Sedi
    nigelw likes this.

  6. #5
    Member Gary622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    132

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    I have one memo in this watch. I placed DON'T PANIC! in the databank...


    Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    Rocat and riffraff like this.
    Collection: A 1980's Seiko quartz analog 6530-7009, a Citizen day/date quartz analog 6100-S24876 that's nearly as old, a Casio AMW320D-9EV (stainless ana-digi), a Timex Ironman, an Atomic G-Shock GW1500A-1AV ana-digi, a Seiko Kinetic SKA547, a Casio G-Shock G2900, a Traser Officer, a Seiko SNZG009, & 2 each of the Seiko SKX007 (one on Strapcode Oyster bracelet, another normally on NATOs).

  7. #6
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,497

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Those "Sails" shows the elapse of time. Funny, as I refer them myself as sails too. A lot of G-Shock models have something similar, like the DW-6600 and DW-6900. You can best compare it with a second hand on an analog watch.


    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  8. #7
    Member Iyonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,778

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    There's never a reason to refuse a free G-shock... good for you buddy... enjoy that superb G!
    nigelw likes this.

  9. #8
    Member Gary622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    132

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Yep, I have an analog G-Shock that does just that. What I meant was - the sails operate in two "modes" - in one mode all the segments go black at the top of a 10 second interval, and go off one per second. In the other it starts with no black segments and turns on segments. Meanwhile, over there in the little dial, it sometimes start with zero black segments and goes to 9 black segments before turning over again, and other times starts with 10 black segments and turns one off per minute. I've been trying to figure out the sequence in which it decides to shift modes, and so far this has eluded me.


    Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    Collection: A 1980's Seiko quartz analog 6530-7009, a Citizen day/date quartz analog 6100-S24876 that's nearly as old, a Casio AMW320D-9EV (stainless ana-digi), a Timex Ironman, an Atomic G-Shock GW1500A-1AV ana-digi, a Seiko Kinetic SKA547, a Casio G-Shock G2900, a Traser Officer, a Seiko SNZG009, & 2 each of the Seiko SKX007 (one on Strapcode Oyster bracelet, another normally on NATOs).

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,401

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary622 View Post
    I've spent a bunch of time buying a Traser watch recently, and my wife knows it. So when I walk in from work this afternoon and she's got two identical G2900s on the table, I said "those aren't mine."

    Turns out her Dad wanted me to set them - he got the settings mixed up on them, and couldn't get the time and dates right. So I get them both sorted out and set to time signal, and got them back to him. While doing this I asked "why does your dad have two identical watches?" Turns out he'd misplaced one, bought another, then found the first one.

    So then he offers me one, and being a WIS in training I didn't turn him down.

    One thing I haven't figured out. The two "sails" tick up and down 10 seconds, and the "subdial" at upper left ticks off 10 minutes, but the patterns vary. What's the rhyme or reason for when they start out dark and turn off vs. when they start out blank and turn dark?


    Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    Rule of life #1: Never turn down a free watch


    Great catch, very useful feature set
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko



  11. #10
    Member Gary622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    132

    Re: G2900 comes into my life...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Rule of life #1: Never turn down a free watch


    Great catch, very useful feature set
    I agree - I also have an Invicta because of that rule


    Sent from my Etch A Sketch
    Collection: A 1980's Seiko quartz analog 6530-7009, a Citizen day/date quartz analog 6100-S24876 that's nearly as old, a Casio AMW320D-9EV (stainless ana-digi), a Timex Ironman, an Atomic G-Shock GW1500A-1AV ana-digi, a Seiko Kinetic SKA547, a Casio G-Shock G2900, a Traser Officer, a Seiko SNZG009, & 2 each of the Seiko SKX007 (one on Strapcode Oyster bracelet, another normally on NATOs).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •