G5600E on M setting
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By rmeron

Thread: G5600E on M setting

G5600E on M setting

When I received my Solar G from Amazon it was on the M power setting. Should I leave it in the window with a lot of sun to get it up to the H setting before I wear it?

Re: G5600E on M setting

Lots of threads on this. Consensus is, "Nah - just wear it!"

Leaving it in the sun can make a watch pretty hot - which isn't the best idea for its long-term happiness (nor for yours...!)

All the functions still work as normal on M, you've got nothin' to worry about. Just let it see some sun whilst you are wearing it, that's what they're designed for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I actually have that same watch inbound for next week. I fully expect it will be on Medium or even Low. Receiving a watch that has been in a box for a long time that is on Medium is a non-issue.

You can put it out in direct sunshine, if you have any today, for about four hours and it should jump to High and stay there from now on. Or you can just wear it and watch it jump between Medium and High until fully charged. If you spend a lot of time outside it will charge just fine.

I received a G-6900A-9 (for the second time) yesterday that arrived on Medium. After three hours on the back deck in direct sunshine, it is now on High and will stay there.
    Last edited by Rocat; May 15th, 2015 at 14:55.
    Ash1979 likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thanks, Sometimes I get paranoid over stuff like this and just need a little re-assurance

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    When I received my Solar G from Amazon it was on the M power setting. Should I leave it in the window with a lot of sun to get it up to the H setting before I wear it?
    As others have noted, the only difference between "M" and "H" is the little LCD marker -- there's no change in function.

Whether or not it WILL need to be charged depends a lot on the person wearing it. If you work as a third shift security guard, sleep all day and your hobbies are video gaming and spelunking, your watch won't ever see any sunshine (and you probably shouldn't have bought a solar watch in the first place.)

If you work outdoors and/or have a lot of outdoor hobbies, your watch will probably charge itself up to "high" in a week, while on your wrist.

If you're somewhere in between, you may want to charge your watch. There ARE a lot of threads here on the subject, and direct sunlight IS the most efficient way to do it -- five times more efficient according to the chart in the manual. http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3160.pdf

Name:  g5600e charging.png
Views: 161
Size:  62.5 KB

Yes, depending on where you live, the watch may become hot in direct sunlight or on a windowsill -- on the other hand, in New York in May that's extremely unlikely! If you decide to charge a solar watch in the middle of July, a lot of us put our watches in a container of water to help dissipate the heat and keep them from getting too hot.

Also from that chart, realize that there's a difference between the watch reaching the "high" indicator and reaching "fully charged," which takes about six more hours of direct sunlight. (There have been a few threads about people's watches bouncing between "high" and "medium" because they pulled it out of the sun or off the windowsill as soon as it hit "H.")

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    You can put it out in direct sunshine, if you have any today, for about four hours and it should jump to High and stay there from now on. Or you can just wear it and watch it jump between Medium and High until fully charged. If you spend a lot of time outside it will charge just fine.

I received a G-6900A-9 (for the second time) yesterday that arrived on Medium. After three hours on the back deck in direct sunshine, it is now on High and will stay there.
    It sounds like you're basing that off of one watch, and it sounds like you got lucky!

According to that chart, the "medium" range is quite large, and we can't tell exactly where the watch is within that range from just the "M" indicator. If the watch is almost all the way to "low" Casio estimates that it will take TWENTY HOURS of direct sunlight to go from "M" to "H." On the other hand, if it was on "H" when it was shipped and dropped to "M" while it was in one of the delivery trucks, it will only need a few minutes of sun to reach "H."
    EXCALIBUR1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It sounds like you're basing that off of one watch, and it sounds like you got lucky!
    I know it is not fully charged, but is good enough. I am outside a lot on the weekends and it will sit on the deck Saturday while we are out running errands, and taking kids to B-day parties and what not".

Ahhh! What a life I lead as Mr. Mom.

watch_geek2014 and Mike K like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I've been wearing it all day, in sun and shade. She hit H once then went back to M. Tomorrow I'll set it in the window and wear another.
    Mike K likes this.

Finally on the H and it has stayed there for awhile. I'll keep it there for the rest of the afternoon and wear it tomorrow.

Thread Information