G5600E Strap Cracked only after 3 months

Thread: G5600E Strap Cracked only after 3 months

Angry G5600E Strap Cracked only after 3 months

Hi guys , I brought this watch in July this year and don't wear it often since I have several others. However today I found a pair of cracks around a hole on the strap. This is really sad as I never abused it (Sunshine exposure/Chemical/Wearing it tight). And what make it feel worse is that both of my 10$ casios , a MQ24 and a F91W, do not have any problem.

This is my 1st G (2nd is a GD350) and a birthday present to myself. Anyone may convince me something may let me still buy Gs ?

New pics :

Last edited by aadhtbb; October 21st, 2013 at 00:07. Reason: New pics

Re: G5600E Strap Cracked only after 3 months

i have 140+ gshocks. i have many from the 80's, 90' and today. i don't have a single crack on any of them. eventually i know rot will happen but i've had nothing but good luck with my collection. just bad luck i guess….but looking at the bright side, the straps for the 5600, are very inexpensive and easily accessible.

Picture is to fuzzy to see if they are cracks are just marks from the buckle. Anyway it should not crack, maybe you had a bad strap or something..

Could you upload a better picture? Never seen a cracked strap hole on this forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Added. Never thought my does it better than my camera.

However it is real cracks and if I extrude the area with cracks the crack will go deeper and you can even see the "intersecting surface" of the strap.

Btw is this covered by the warranty ? I didn't find any documents in the box came with the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kid View Post
    Picture is to fuzzy to see if they are cracks are just marks from the buckle. Anyway it should not crack, maybe you had a bad strap or something..

Could you upload a better picture? Never seen a cracked strap hole on this forum.
    Last edited by aadhtbb; October 21st, 2013 at 00:08. Reason: New pics.

Quote Originally Posted by aadhtbb View Post
    Sry but I tried several times and still not able to make it more clearer.

However it is real cracks and if I extrude the area with cracks the crack will go deeper and you can even see the "intersecting surface" of the strap.

Btw is this covered by the warranty ? I didn't find any documents in the box came with the watch.
    I really wouldn't know..
    Perhaps you could contact the store. Luckily 5600 straps are not very expensive.

So it is but the crack simply looks from daily wear and if I get a new one it is possibly to come out the same result.

And I did a Google search before this thread. Sounds like it is not only me.

I have quite a few Casio watches with resin straps, and even the one from my 10 year old DW-5600 isn't showing any visible signs of cracking.

If your strap is only (or mostly) cracking nearest the hole where you buckle it, part of the problem might be from the way you take off the watch....

I seldom bend my straps 180 degrees as you have in the photos, and seldom even bend them 90 degrees at the buckle. If you're taking your watch off by simply pulling the loose end out of the strap keeper, then pulling that end back on itself so the strap bends 90 degrees or more right at the buckle, that might be causing the cracking.

There have been a few threads where people have explained how to do it "the other way" more elegantly, but if you grab the loose end of the strap with your palm, middle, and ring fingers -- keeping the strap more or less straight -- while your thumb and first finger gently push the buckle tighter until the buckle tang falls out of the strap hole, that will minimize buckle marks in the strap, as well as keeping the strap from bending, cracking, or wearing out prematurely.

If the above description makes no sense, I can try to take some self-timer pictures of the process.
    Last edited by Mike K; October 21st, 2013 at 00:52.

Quote Originally Posted by aadhtbb View Post
    So it is but the crack simply looks from daily wear and if I get a new one it is possibly to come out the same result.

And I did a Google search before this thread. Sounds like it is not only me.
    Well there are several options.
    As far as I know the G-5600 uses the same strap as the DW-5600 and that strap is widely available for cheap.
    (even if it is not exactly the same strap it will fit)
    You could try a DW-6900 strap. Or G(W)6900 strap.
    You could try a dw5600ms-1 strap. (or other model with same strap)

You could try an aftermarket non Casio strap.
    You could try strap adapters and use it with a nato or zulu strap (not a fan myself)

There are also various cloth straps available for the 5600 series.
    Last edited by captain kid; October 21st, 2013 at 00:46.

To Mike:
    That is really some very good points. I appreciate it much and will try it from now.

To Captain Kid:

Actually I thought about the adapter idea however I alao thought about if this is a DW5600 then the price of such later adapters and straps are beyond the original cost. And what is sad is that the strap of those watch from the same factory (Casio) costs less than a strap does the job better. But thank you for your replies and I think I may get a aftermarket strap to harvest the useful part.

Glad to be able to help out!

I've been looking for one of the threads or watch sites I first saw that different ways of taking off a watch, and seem to remember that someone likened the two "ways" of unbuckling a strap to "looking like the difference between a letter Q and a letter P," but haven't found it yet.

Sort of ironically, I seem to remember that other thread being about a much more expensive brand of watch (compared to a G-Shock) with a rather expensive, exotic leather strap that was denting and cracking, but the concept is still the same!

Thread Information