G6900AC on N.S. Co. and J's&K's

Thread: G6900AC on N.S. Co. and J's&K's

G6900AC on N.S. Co. and J's&K's

Found a good deal on a G6900AC. Went with J's & K's adapters. Found the big-stripe Zulu at Nato Strap Co. and voila, a nice combo in red, white, and blue.
    Any idea what type of paint could be used on the adapters to put a metallic (or even flat white) color on those adapters? Is the paint process that Casio uses on plastic exclusive to them or is it the same as the paint used on auto fascias? The J's & K's adapters material appears not to be oily so I'm thinking it might take paint well.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Re: G6900AC on N.S. Co. and J's&K's

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    Found a good deal on a G6900AC. Went with J's & K's adapters. Found the big-stripe Zulu at Nato Strap Co. and voila, a nice combo in red, white, and blue.
    Any idea what type of paint could be used on the adapters to put a metallic (or even flat white) color on those adapters? Is the paint process that Casio uses on plastic exclusive to them or is it the same as the paint used on auto fascias? The J's & K's adapters material appears not to be oily so I'm thinking it might take paint well.
    What sort of plastic are the JaysAndKays adapters? (I'm spelling it that way because that's 1) that's the way THEY spell it on their eBay store and 2) that's probably how people will look for it in a Google search.)

If they're the same sort of flexible plastic as Casio's OEM adapters, you'll probably have the same trouble that others have had painting straps with "normal" paint: the paint will dry and become rigid, the plastic will stay flexible, and when pressure is applied from any direction the plastic will flex and the paint will crack and fall off.

I DID try using some automotive "flexible bumper coating" on some bezels last summer (and have been threatening to update that thread for a while now and I guess today's the day): https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/bez...y-1069969.html

It worked quite nicely on mine; it definitely started to wear off of my friend's watch in places but he DOES treat his G-Shocks like "normal" non-collectors treat theirs, or how Casio probably imagines how most of them are supposed to be treated!

If the plastic on the adapters isn't flexible, you might be able to paint them with any of the modern "spray paints for plastics" but to go from black to white you'll probably need several coats or a thicker primer coat.

They are definitely soft as the Casio, but, they aren't "oily" like the Casio's. They appear to be etchable so a flexible paint primer would be the likely candidate. I've never used that type of paint/process.
    Yes, please update your experience painting soft plastic. Thanks for the correction(s) and explanation. Sorry. Google now reflects my error and will lead directly to this thread, and your correction.
    Now then, have you tried any of the actual two-part flexible paints as used on automotive fascias? As you mentioned, going from black to white will be a challenge. I wonder how Casio does it? My searches yield nothing useful, thus far.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    They are definitely soft as the Casio, but, they aren't "oily" like the Casio's. They appear to be etchable so a flexible paint primer would be the likely candidate. I've never used that type of paint/process.
    Yes, please update your experience painting soft plastic. Thanks for the correction(s) and explanation. Sorry. Google now reflects my error and will lead directly to this thread, and your correction.
    Now then, have you tried any of the actual two-part flexible paints as used on automotive fascias? As you mentioned, going from black to white will be a challenge. I wonder how Casio does it? My searches yield nothing useful, thus far.
    I haven't actually used the two-part flexible paint, merely an off-the-shelf flexible "coating" for automotive bumpers, which is probably similar to the "paint plus plasticizer" I've been told repeatedly (over a 20 year timespan) that car companies use on parts such as flexible bumpers. A NAPA store's paint department once told me that for a minor fee, they could add plasticizer to any paint they mixed in-store and/or put in a spray can -- so I'm guessing that Duplicolor saw a specific market for bumper and fascia touch-ups and started producing it.

I haven't seen any of Casio's colorful "Glide" adapters in person (which are the same shape as the "normal" 5600 adapters), but with all of the tools at their disposal, I can't believe they would paint them. It would be far easier for them to just injection mold adapters out of white or red resin (or any of the other colors they've made).

Thread Information