G8000-1 or G8000-2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G8000-1 or G8000-2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G8000-1 or G8000-2

I found at a local retail shop selling these (no longer sold in usa, i think).

I've been eying the G8000 for a while, so the issue now is BLUE or BLACk?

I got a few black watches already and I wear them all, so leaning toward blue.

who owns, who likes, who wears this model?

pros and cons?

Re: G8000-1 or G8000-2

I own a G-8000B-4VDR (black with orange tinted crystal), which I've had for a couple of days now, so I can give you some initial reactions:

Pros:

+ The mirrored surface of the numbers and other indicators is impressive. It's hard to fully appreciate from photos, but is very cool in person.
    + The layout is rich with information. Day of week, year, month, day, hours, minutes and seconds, plus graphic indicators of units of one and ten seconds along the sides, and indicators of active alarm, hour signal and snooze at the bottom. Few if any G-shocks have as much data displayed at once.
    + The LED light in the lower right corner of the face may be a bit of a toy to some, but the visible flash in conjunction with the alarm is very handy for the hearing impaired, and besides -- preeeettty.
    + All the beloved G-shock functions: Alarms (2), world time, countdown timer, stopwatch, etc.
    + The buttons have u-shaped protectors around them to help prevent scuffing or snagging.

Cons:

- The buttons have protectors around them. Good for many, but my fingers are not small, and I find I need to use a fingernail to press them - my fingertip is too wide and blunt to accomplish the task. Your mileage may vary.
    - It may just be mine, but I find the band a bit stiffer than my other resin strap G-shocks. It seems to feel like a better fit the longer I wear it, so not a big minus. Just be prepared for it to need to mold to your wrist over the first day or two.

Overall, I think you'll love yours. I'm certainly enjoying mine.

Here's a couple of pics to get an idea (although if you're smaller or less hairy than a woolly mammoth, it won't look the same on your wrist. ). :

Last edited by Woodrobin; April 23rd, 2009 at 18:02. Reason: Fixed Picasa link
    Current Collection:
    Bernhardt: Badger & Blade Limited Edition (Officer's variant)
    Orient: CEM5J005U Day/Date, CEM65002D Blue Mako
    , CFT00004B Racing Skeleton
    Citizen: BL8002-59A Calibre 8700, Solar Tech 180 Pro Diver
    Seiko: SKX779 Black Monster
    Casio G-shock: DW-5600E-1 "Fox Fire", G-701D-2AV, G-8000B-4VDR, AWG-100-1A, GL-121-1V
    Casio Pathfinder: PAW-1300-1V

So I found the blue one locally but the black G8000-1 is only on ebay, but its way cheaper...im about to go ahead and order the black one on ebay, its 42.00, seems like a killer deal, or is too good?

The blue one at the local retailer is 89.99

The seller is BUYSALEITEMS, anyone have feedback, i really want to place this order...what do you think?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just pulled the trigger on the black one, the G8000-1, im so into these classic looking, or pseudo-classic looking g-shocks.

Anyway, i'll get some pics up once it arrives, but im even more excited than when I was waiting on my MIRB mudman, which is great by the way.

So, how many days till I see my G8000?

>>>

The G-8000 is a superb G-Shock, and in my opinion is at its best in the plain black version.

It has one of the most comprehensive non-atomic and non-solar modules that Casio has produced.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

what's comprehensive about it?

I mean to me it looks like all the same functions as most of my non-atomic g's

stopwatch, world time, timer, alarm

but i'm not an expert yet, i'm working at becoming an expert, so this was a smart choice then.

what's this watch got that makes it one of the best modules?

Quote Originally Posted by JahMush View Post
    what's comprehensive about it?
    • 24hr stopwatch
    • 24hr countdown timer
    • 3 alarms settable by date
    • World time
    • Button tone can be muted
    • Shows day, date and year
    • Shows day in three letters
    • Time visible in all modes

It might not sound too hard, but see how many models you can find with all of those features.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I agree with tribe - functionwise the G-8000 has one outstanding module, probably only rivaled by the G-77xx series...

the shape and layout is certainly not for everyone, it's in my opinion one of the most polarizing g-shock's.

what this watch really lacks, is a fifth light button because as mentioned above by member woodrobin, the buttons are protected and a bit recessed. this might not a big deal during daylight but it makes it unnecessary fiddling at night, especially if you want to press the light button. I was so annoyed by this, that after a short time, i didn't want to wear the watch anymore. the poor thing now lies somewhere in the cellar in a packing case.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

xcelwatches.com just gave me word, my G8000-1 has shipped. USPS, from texas to NY, maybe 3 days?

I have the G8000-8v and use it for my field watch on exercises in Canada (when we wear greens not tans ) and it an extremely useful watch for military applications. Mine has the reverse display so you won't easily give away your position when hitting the illumination. The flash LED is also handy when you have timers for mission specific details and don't want a loud BEEP!
    A little flash on your wrist and off we go! I use this G in the field during domestic operations, the tan muddie in Afghanistan, and a GW-M5600 in garrison. When I get home, like the rest of you I'm sure, switch my watches obsessively a few times a day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information