G9300GY: Makes me do all kinds of crazy!
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: G9300GY: Makes me do all kinds of crazy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G9300GY: Makes me do all kinds of crazy!

Cliff notes version: Read the last paragraph.

Hello everyone! New member here but have been lurking for about 2 months now. I was a previous owner of a PAW1500T (titanium) and now a soon to be owner of a G9300GY. I have several watches in my "collection" from various manufacturers and price ranges but I have always considered myself to be a 1-watch-man. I hardly ever take my favorite watch of my wrist. Until about 2 months ago, that watch was the PAW1500T, which I sadly lost while surfing one of my favorite breaks, Trestles in Southern California. I didn't notice it missing until 45 mins into the surf session. I was destroyed, but it was a pretty good surf session and can't help but think of it as a sacrificial offering to the surf gods for all the good surf I've had in that break in the past (and hopefully the future). This event has made me reluctant of wearing a metal band with clasp into the water again and since this was not the first time I've had the clasp open on me while in the water. I live a pretty active lifestyle, Surf and MTB at least 3 times each a week. Do a lot of camping and my work is outdoors (use a wrist watch chronograph as a backup). The Pathfinder/Protrek watches were perfect but I just wanted something that can take a little bit more of a beating in my day to day activities.

In my quest to find my next watch, I ran into this awesome place and started reading the numbers of threads available. After a few weeks, I had it down to either the GW7900 or GW9200. I liked them both on looks but also function, tide graph vs A+B, solar, atomic and the other standard functions. So I've been on a quest to find the best places to try them on and see them physically, went down to several Macy's department stores and local mall watch stores. It was nice having some knowledge of these (and other models) watches before hand from other peoples experience and it was now time to make my own conclusions. I ran into the GW7900, Aviators and Frogs and Mudman, Kings and the other more "standard" G's but no Riseman anywhere. Yesterday, the wife and I went down to yet another Macy's hoping to find that elusive Riseman. No luck. But something else did catch my eye. A lonely G9300GY. I had briefly considered getting the Mudman as a replacement to the PAW1500T but always thought it had lacked the functions I needed/wanted in my next watch. I used just about every function on the PAW1500T with the exception of the temp reading. I had also seen the GB and standard versions in person on my previous quests but never the GY. Tried it on, then the GW7900 (for the nth time), then back to the Mudman, then the GW7900. At the end, I could not resist the Mudman in grey. There's something about it that I cannot quite put my finger on.

In the end, I did a presale on it and came out to $163 including tax(without this forum, I would never have known one could do such a thing). Nov. 30th can't come soon enough! So despite not having the functions that I always used on the PAW1500T, I think this watch will stay on my wrist until the next time it's time to do another sacrificial offering to the surf gods (or MTB gods).

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to say hello and give a BIG thank you to this forum and community for being such a great resource.

Now, on to the question... I have had bad experiences with older (80's/early 90's watches) non-metallic bracelets/bands. I have managed to either tear or break them once brittle. Other than following the recommended use and care of the G9300GY's band, what can I do to prolong its life? What other non-G9300 bands will work with the Mudman? I think the nylon straps would be out of the question since this watch will normally be in and out of salt water quite a few times a week.
    BrendanSilent likes this.

Re: G9300GY: Makes me do all kinds of crazy!

To prolong the life of your polyurethane strap, I would recommend a simple rinse under the faucet after sweating / using in salt-water. Wouldn't bother swapping straps, as you should find this to be one heck of a comfy timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    To prolong the life of your polyurethane strap, I would recommend a simple rinse under the faucet after sweating / using in salt-water. Wouldn't bother swapping straps, as you should find this to be one heck of a comfy timepiece.
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Wayong..welcome to WUS. Be careful hanging out here too much...you will become a multiwatch guy if you stick around here too long LOL.

Man...that sucks you lost your PAW1500. I have a PAW1500Y and am about to put strap adapters on it so I can throw a nylon zulu strap on it. Me...I can not claim to be half as active as you...it's more about style for me LOL I freely admit. 4Kids and all..no time to go mountain biking like I used to. But really, the lifestyle you lead almost begs for a zulu.

A zulu is a one piece nylon strap. Threads through one adapter and then the other, then wraps around your wrist. This adds a bit more security compared to your old PAW1500 bracelet. Basically each pin in the bracelet has a risk of breaking and failing as well as the spring bars that attach the bracelet to the watch. Which is why your PAW1500 is now at the bottom of the Pacific. The Zulu reduces the multiple fail points of your old bracelet to one. Because it is a one piece strap and threads through the top and bottom, if one springbar or adapter fails, it still hangs onto to the other. There is a PAW1500 model that came with casio one piece nylon strap (not a zulu)

Here's are some pics to better understand what I'm talking about.
    (not my pics)

This is what you had...each pin is a weak point and can fail. If any one pin fails, you pretty much loose your watch.
    Name:  casio-pathfinder-paw-1500t-7v-side.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  134.7 KB

Here's the one piece nylon strap (this one isn't a zulu strap but the stock nylon strap that comes with this particular PAW1500 model) As you can see, one piece strap that threads through both ends. If one ends of the adapters fail, you'll still have the other adapter holding onto the watch.
    Name:  PRW-1500GBJ-1JR_3.jpg
Views: 2789
Size:  121.7 KB

Zulus are even more secure than this stock casio strap...here's a video about them. They are FANASTIC straps...uber comfortable and perfectly capable for handling salt water activity. Supposedly worn by a lot guys in the military.

I'm loving the G9300 myself...but unfortunately there are no strap adapters for it (yet) so you can't throw a zulu on it. GREAT watch though...just that I think a Zulu with a redstripe on it would make it even better :) Enjoy your 9300 and remember to post pics when you get it.

And again...WELCOME TO WUS and your new addiction LOL
    Last edited by ZASKAR36; November 23rd, 2011 at 18:57.
    whayong likes this.

Banned

I question why modern watches, which are supposed to be super-rugged and for use in deep water, use spring-bars at all. The zulu strap was originally designed to be worn with true military watches, which have permanent bars rather than temporary spring-pins.

I would question any watch that's designed to be used in water but which still uses flimsy spring bars. Of course, that describes pretty much all current consumer watches.

Ain't no losing something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

whayong likes this.

Zaskar,

Thanks for the very warm welcome. I did see Zulu straps on a few of the posts I've read but immediately ruled them out because I had the impression that they would not fair to well with me being in and out of the water all the time. Last thing I want is a wet watch strap 4 hours after a surf session. Of course these were all assumptions I had about the Zulu straps. I will most definitely take a much more detailed look on them now. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I know what you mean about getting hooked by sticking around here. I already have delusions of finding an MRG-110 someday for the special occasions. Lol!

Will a double buckle strap from a gd100 or.g9000 fit on the 9300

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by whayong View Post
    Thanks for the very warm welcome. I did see Zulu straps on a few of the posts I've read but immediately ruled them out because I had the impression that they would not fair to well with me being in and out of the water all the time. Last thing I want is a wet watch strap 4 hours after a surf session.
    That might apply to some of the nylon bands but certainly not for Maratacs (my faves). They dry within a few minutes, even now in winter after a shower, in short: highly recommended.

cheers
    whayong likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by JAXX10 View Post
    Will a double buckle strap from a gd100 or.g9000 fit on the 9300
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    That might apply to some of the nylon bands but certainly not for Maratacs (my faves). They dry within a few minutes, even now in winter after a shower, in short: highly recommended.

cheers
    Thanks for the info. I've been trying to read up on it but couldn't really find any information on this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information