GA100-1A1DR - Mini Review Pics
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GA100-1A1DR - Mini Review Pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture GA100-1A1DR - Mini Review Pics

Casio G Shock GA100-1A1 (GA100-1A1DR) Module 5081

I'm slowly but surely evaluating this one.
    Here's a prelim and some quick snap shots.

First thoughts;

* Extreme ergonomics, very comfortable, fits easily, not too big, but bigger than other G's.
    More comfortable then Rescue, Mudman and Gulfman. (( 7.25" Wrist )) Did not pull any wrist hairs as do the others.

* Face is not totally black, has a slight dark metallic / graphite appearance
    Esthetically pleasing, I can dig it.

* Backlight.....I'm totally disappointing with not having El for the digital areas. Its not a total catastrophe but come on Casio !
    The single LED works well enough to see the hands in total darkness.
    Would have been better with two L.E.D.s. and EL.

* Digital areas are totally illegible / un-readable in total darkness.

* Negative display is easy to read when viewed from 10 to 30 degrees off axis, 12 o'clock pointed away from top dead center. ( even in minimal lighting)

* Reflections on such a large crystal are bothersome in some light conditions but for the most part a non issue. **

* Not as heavy as you might think, very manageable, not much heavier then a Gulfman. Coming straight out of the box, most comfortable ever.

* Mach indicator is extremely easy to use.

* Ultra Hi-Tech layout and design. 100% in line with my own personal taste. Reminiscent of a jet fighter cock pit design / layout.

* Over all construction, has quality appearance, solid feel. All injection molded resin components are crisp and and finished in appearance. Only the mold part lines of the bezel sides are of any slight concern or objection (see first pic). Bezel and band mate perfectly with tight tolerances. Face detail is consistent, uniform and neat. All silk screened text is legible and neat.

* From The Logical Side Thus far I'd rate it a 8 out of 10 (OVER ALL). Within acceptable parameters, considering style, appearance, fit, construction and function, I would regard this watch as a keeper. It shall remain in my collection.

* From The Emotional Side At this point in time on a personal like/dislike 1-10 scale. I get excited at the look and absolutely the feel. I'm liking it very much so and will give it a solid 9.5/10

Keep in mind all of this is subject to change over time with extended wear / usage.

Suggestions so far with preliminary review

1. EL back light (common scenes Casio, believe it or not)

2. Two LED's Red or Amber (Casio you tight wads)

3. ** Fluorite coated mineral crystal, this is a must have for easy viewing.
    Greatly reduces reflections, same as used for your eye glasses.
    This is just plain common sense.

4. Brushed silver, or black chrome with brushed silver accents for hands would be more esthetically pleasing

5. Negative display is not a total issue but could be enhanced to be slightly brighter, slightly more legible with proper crystal coatings ** and polarization film with more accurate density value.

More then enough face real estate for tough solar option and while your at it, 6 band atomic. A GWA100-1A1DR could be the next step. O.k. Casio
    get to it.

7. Clean up the mold part lines in the side of the bezel. I like all the detail crisp and not just most of it. All of it.

8. Urban Camo and some Jamin colors for this one. Casio you'll need a bigger factory and more accountants to count the money.

Conclusions
    I always look for the balance of features versus style and function versus comfort. I'm sure that Casio was attempting to strike this balance for this product considering the price point and market slot. They almost made it but failed on a few small and a few large points that would keep this one from being a 10. 8 out of 10 isn't bad by any means. I'm sure that this watch will be a success for Casio. I'm sure that the individuals who obtain this item will be pleased. When strapping on a new G for the first time and acclimating, you often know that it feels right and looks right from the first moment. This item did just that and get points for it. Well played Casio, you get a salute from me on this one. What the GA1001A1 lacks in functionality, construction and common sense design it makes up for in great style, looks and comfort.

Last edited by Zeroed4x; April 4th, 2010 at 09:01.
    GaryK30 likes this.
    KISS ALIVE The Tribute

http://www.kissalivethetribute.com

Re: GA100-1A1DR - Mini Review Pics

Just reading your review right now... I know it will be a good one!*********** OK, just read your review. First. Thankyou for providing a cool review AND PHOTOS! Thankyou. Secondly, I've come to the conclusion, you should have been a salesman instead of a rockstar! hahahaha! Just kidding! Thanks for the review and pics! I agree with your assesment 100%. My compaints were from the Black and Blue one. The light did not show the hands at night. I own this one also and it really is not as bad as I initially "whined" about. Thanks again! NEXT STOP.... GW-3000. After my iPad of course.
    Last edited by Jimmy Mac!; April 4th, 2010 at 08:21. Reason: spelling
    -Jimmy Mac!-
    "Was She Looking At Me or Was She Looking at My G?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mac! View Post
    Just reading your review right now... I know it will be a good one!*********** OK, just read your review. First. Thankyou for providing a cool review AND PHOTOS! Thankyou. Secondly, I've come to the conclusion, you should have been a salesman instead of a rockstar! hahahaha! Just kidding! Thanks for the review and pics! I agree with your assesment 100%. My compaints were from the Black and Blue one. The light did not show the hands at night. I own this one also and it really is not as bad as I initially "whined" about. Thanks again! NEXT STOP.... GW-3000. After my iPad of course.
    Thanks Jimmy Mac, I was a salesman before becoming Grandpa Dad the Rock Star Jiggleo
    I really want to get the Red/Blk and see if I like it before I jump on the Blue. The Blue becomes a day only watch, no tragedy, I have many mechanical's and self winders that have no light. I realize its expected with this class of watch so its hard to have to make a compromise with regards to this feature. Good hunting and tally ho on the GW3000. Can't wait to see that one
    I have to slow down on this stuff for a while. I'm going to have to sell the children for medical experiments again if I don't.
    All the best,
    KISS ALIVE The Tribute

http://www.kissalivethetribute.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review. It's always really useful to get some real-world opinions of the new stuff!

The poor lighting continues to bother me, but as you say, I have other watches that have none at all, so why worry? I suppose it's 'cos we all know it would be so trivial for Casio to add an EL that it becomes a little disappointing.

Anyway, congrats on the watch, and that's definitely the version I'll get

I think I will have to get this model. THanks for sharing.
    Couple of watches here and there

Thanks for a great review I dont know why Casio and Seiko dont like AR on there crystals I am waiting for these to come down a little in price. Someone posted that the price tag said $ 124 the black ones are much more on ebay now. Anyway I think its still a great G at this price point

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Excellent review! Got myself the Black/Red version. good to hear that the hands of the Stealth version can be seen with the Led light.

Below is an Led shot of mine at night. i guess you can't tell where the Hour hand is.

But for the price i got it, can't complain too much can i?

Some more pics

All i can say is this watch will be permanently glued to my wrists for a couple of days while i try to improve my personal rating of it to an 8.5 or a 9.

Cheers.

Thanks for the in depth review and pics! The GA-100 is one sweet G. I recently bought a GW-3000 and this one is in my wish list. I wonder why Casio always cuts some essential features from almost every model. Too bad the seconds hand is unreadable in low light, but the stealthy look of this watch justifies the shortcomings. Thankyou!

Here my GA-100:

And compare with a Mudman:
    Casio: DW-9052, GW-6900, G-7900, DW-5000, PRG-240, GD-100 MS3, GDF-100, SPF-60, WVQ 550, W-87, SPM-30H.
    Seiko: SBD001 "Sumo".
    Vostok:Amfibia Reef Orange, Amphibia KGB, Amphibia 1967.
    Vostok Europe: Ekranoplan KM
    Rolex: Perpetual Date 80´s.

Great review. Have the same model (all black) and apart from the lighting I absolutely love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information