Casio G Shock GA100-1A1 (GA100-1A1DR) Module 5081
I'm slowly but surely evaluating this one.
Here's a prelim and some quick snap shots.
* Extreme ergonomics, very comfortable, fits easily, not too big, but bigger than other G's.
More comfortable then Rescue, Mudman and Gulfman. (( 7.25" Wrist )) Did not pull any wrist hairs as do the others.
* Face is not totally black, has a slight dark metallic / graphite appearance
Esthetically pleasing, I can dig it.
* Backlight.....I'm totally disappointing with not having El for the digital areas. Its not a total catastrophe but come on Casio !
The single LED works well enough to see the hands in total darkness.
Would have been better with two L.E.D.s. and EL.
* Digital areas are totally illegible / un-readable in total darkness.
* Negative display is easy to read when viewed from 10 to 30 degrees off axis, 12 o'clock pointed away from top dead center. ( even in minimal lighting)
* Reflections on such a large crystal are bothersome in some light conditions but for the most part a non issue. **
* Not as heavy as you might think, very manageable, not much heavier then a Gulfman. Coming straight out of the box, most comfortable ever.
* Mach indicator is extremely easy to use.
* Ultra Hi-Tech layout and design. 100% in line with my own personal taste. Reminiscent of a jet fighter cock pit design / layout.
* Over all construction, has quality appearance, solid feel. All injection molded resin components are crisp and and finished in appearance. Only the mold part lines of the bezel sides are of any slight concern or objection (see first pic). Bezel and band mate perfectly with tight tolerances. Face detail is consistent, uniform and neat. All silk screened text is legible and neat.
* From The Logical Side Thus far I'd rate it a 8 out of 10 (OVER ALL). Within acceptable parameters, considering style, appearance, fit, construction and function, I would regard this watch as a keeper. It shall remain in my collection.
* From The Emotional Side At this point in time on a personal like/dislike 1-10 scale. I get excited at the look and absolutely the feel. I'm liking it very much so and will give it a solid 9.5/10
Keep in mind all of this is subject to change over time with extended wear / usage.
Suggestions so far with preliminary review
1. EL back light (common scenes Casio, believe it or not)
2. Two LED's Red or Amber (Casio you tight wads)
3. ** Fluorite coated mineral crystal, this is a must have for easy viewing.
Greatly reduces reflections, same as used for your eye glasses.
This is just plain common sense.
4. Brushed silver, or black chrome with brushed silver accents for hands would be more esthetically pleasing
5. Negative display is not a total issue but could be enhanced to be slightly brighter, slightly more legible with proper crystal coatings ** and polarization film with more accurate density value.
6. More then enough face real estate for tough solar option and while your at it, 6 band atomic. A GWA100-1A1DR could be the next step. O.k. Casio
get to it.
7. Clean up the mold part lines in the side of the bezel. I like all the detail crisp and not just most of it. All of it.
8. Urban Camo and some Jamin colors for this one. Casio you'll need a bigger factory and more accountants to count the money.
I always look for the balance of features versus style and function versus comfort. I'm sure that Casio was attempting to strike this balance for this product considering the price point and market slot. They almost made it but failed on a few small and a few large points that would keep this one from being a 10. 8 out of 10 isn't bad by any means. I'm sure that this watch will be a success for Casio. I'm sure that the individuals who obtain this item will be pleased. When strapping on a new G for the first time and acclimating, you often know that it feels right and looks right from the first moment. This item did just that and get points for it. Well played Casio, you get a salute from me on this one. What the GA1001A1 lacks in functionality, construction and common sense design it makes up for in great style, looks and comfort.