Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By grinch_actual
  • 1 Post By StephenWatch
  • 1 Post By sodamonkey
  • 1 Post By m1ckDELTA
  • 1 Post By m1ckDELTA
  • 1 Post By kevio
  • 1 Post By tirod3

Thread: GA110 negative display differences.

GA110 negative display differences.

New member here. First off, I'd like to thank this forum for some great food for thought as I get back into the g-shock world. I bought one back in college ~1993 (dw6600) but then faded back into rarely wearing watches except when dressing up. Then a couple years ago I got a LG G Watch R smart watch. While I quickly got used to wearing again and loved the simple convenience of having the time right there on my wrist, I eventually became tired of forcing myself to interact on such a small screen, having to charge the damn thing at least daily, and how it impacted my phone battery. So I started looking for a standard watch again.

I purchased 2 watches from ShopCasio this week. The GW2310FB-1 and the GA110MB-1A. (love the blackout look) The 2310 will be my daily work watch (farming) and I'm pretty happy with the visibility of the negative screen. The 110 would be more for evenings out and such. The negative screen on the 110 requires way more light to see the digits and the backlight doesn't do much to illuminate them.

I noticed that depending on the model of 110 they seem to tint the negative digits in a matching color.

So long story short..... My question is this. Do other 110 models/colors of the negative display show up better that of the MB-1A? I would also be fine with a 100 series since I had a hard time picking between the 110 and 100 initially.

Sorry for the long winded first post! Would truly appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Re: GA110 negative display differences.

Welcome!

GA110-1AXL has a positive display. You can find one on Amazon for 76.95. I do not own one, so cannot say if its any good. But might be what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Hilgerone likes this.

I own a few negative display watches, they're all crap, unless you are standing underneath some strong sunshine! They are a pure fashion statement, but they do 'look' awfully good. The worst offender is my GW7900b, but my MudMaster GWG1000 is OK...
    Hilgerone likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the madness!! I have a DW-5600B, the only negative I own because they are generally so awful to see. This one, however, has red digits and I actually find it pretty easy to see even without the backlight.

I definitely wouldn't get another G with negative display though!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hilgerone likes this.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Negative display = AL on at all times. Battery life will be shorter as a result of always using the auto light but some of the negative displays are too good looking to care about extra battery changes. My negative Rangeman is all but useless without direct light or the AL but it is a sexy beast.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; October 1st, 2017 at 00:40.
    Hilgerone likes this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Since most of my time working is outdoors during the day I'm betting my 2310 will be okay for that but any negative display sounds to be a mistake for a evening out watch. Too bad because this 110 I've got is darn good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilgerone View Post
    Since most of my time working is outdoors during the day I'm betting my 2310 will be okay for that but any negative display sounds to be a mistake for a evening out watch. Too bad because this 110 I've got is darn good looking.

Thing is, as die hard as I am about digital G-Shocks, it's hybrids for which a negative display is best suited. The hands tell the time at a glance and the digital display is really secondary. Having said that, however, Casio needs to figure out a workable backlight for the digital displays on their hybrids.
    Hilgerone likes this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Here's a picture of my GA-110BY. As you can see, off angle the negative displays are basically useless. This is one of the new GA110 versions so I can't imagine the negative displays on any other versions being any better. I'll have to second what m1ckDelta suggests. The analog hands are best for quickly telling time while the displays are secondary. One of the best negative displays that I've seen on a G-Shock lately is that of the GA-835. That display is quite good for a negative and can be read from many angles as well as in low light.

Hilgerone likes this.

I have a GAX 100 and it's negative. No problem reading the display in the living room with lamp light. The photo above is accurate about the screens not being able to be seen at that angle - but - I about broke my arm trying to duplicate it to compare. Some angles pictured which don't show negative displays are also nearly impossible to attempt while wearing the watch.

The GAX is a G-LIDE series designed for watersports, with large white hour markers and one of the larger hand sets in white I've found. The combination creates a Dive watch dial which I find extremely observable in dim light - I can read the time in bad conditions. Now, it has to be asked - just what other specific function would be needed in twilight or near dark? Much of what the G Shock offers would need to have daylight to observe it if it was timed activity, checking the calendar, or, taking into account the GAX, moon phase or tide.

One thing is sure, if you can't see the digital displays you certainly won't see them if that's all there was. It was the major complaint I have about my SGW compass watch with postive display - at a natural resting angle the dial washes out constantly. The negative screens on the GAX don't, nor do they distract or confuse the observer with large blocks of contrasting colors which would obscure the hands pointing to the markers. While G Shocks are wonderful watches, observing the time on some of the GA series with multicolor dials and small color coordinating hands - is difficult, at best, and obnoxiously frustrating at worst with some combinations. It's as if reading the time was secondary to the artistic aesthetic of displaying a tropical Christmas decoration.

Let's admit some of these models aren't meant for adult wear. Regurgitated crayons is what one poster described them.

Even so, those which obscure the analog function to a high degree often display the digital in excellent ways. You can read them quite well with their positive pixellation and coordinating background color, not to forget they are back lit. More and more analog versions are going to LED, so choose carefully what balance of readability you want and how you prioritize it.

If I need to see the dial displays in the dark, I just pull out a Nitecore Tube flashlight and turn it on the 1 lumen setting, which is more than enough to read the watch. Better to switch on the Nitecore and use a USB rechargeable source than blast away with the LED in the watch burning down the battery. It's far more effective on the rare occasion it's needed.

I approached the negative display situation knowing I would have to either accept it ahead of time or wind up living with it as a negative. Few here live with a watch with a significant issue they find they disagree with. In this case, after reading previous threads and trying it for myself, I feel as if it's not that big a deal. Compared to a watch with no digital display, it's far superior, without overwhelming the dial and reducing it to colorful patches of confusion. At least not on the GAX - it is without doubt telling you the time with no compromises. From there you can get more data as conveniently as you arrange, which is much better than doing without.

It is G Shock, of course, we just need to sort out which items are more needed and which secondary. No doubt there is a model which suits.
    Last edited by tirod3; October 1st, 2017 at 05:57.
    Hilgerone likes this.

Thread Information