Gaussman

Thread: Gaussman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gaussman

I was cleaning out part of my apartment the other day and I stumbled on a box I had completely buried and forgotten about. Inside were several Gaussman models I had forgotten I had!

I was curious about how other forum members felt about this model and I wondered what they go for these days. So I was searching WUS and eBay and stumbled on a June thread about Gaussmen.

http://forums2.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1078923#post1078923

Like many of the previous posters, I have always really liked the look and feel of the Gaussman (my first AW-571 was actually labelled "Mudman", as has already been discussed in the earlier thread). In my personal pantheon of "Masters of G", t is up there with the Raysman and the original 8400 Mudman. And maybe I'm naive, but I think certainly the "standard" model and the black model with white lettering (is there a nickname for that style) can fit in with a "business casual" look -- at least a funky take on a business casual look.

My one complaint is that both the stopwatch and the countdown timer are limited to 59 minutes 59 seconds. Somehow, when I'm wearing a "G", it is comforting for me to know that the 24 hour stopwatch and countdown timer are available. (The reality, of course, is that I don't use them very much except when I'm travelling).

Bottom line: I'm going to get some batteries in these guys and get them back into the rotation!

Re: Gaussman

It's wonderful to rediscover old friends!

Does "Gaussman" mean anything, or Raysman, for Gulfman, for that matter?
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Others can comment definitively, since they were actually here at the time, unlike me...

...but the names are generally plays on tasks/areas the watch is useful in. The thread linked to earlier has a caseback shot that covers the Gaussman: it has an antimagnetic movement. A "gauss" is a unit of magnetism, named for Carl Friedrich Gauss. (As for "antimagnetic", here's a thread with some details. In short, analog movements can become magnetized and lose accuracy, unless they have some way to resist the magnetic fields people working with high-powered equipment tend to encounter. It doesn't affect digital displays.)

Raysman was among the first of the solar-powered watches, I believe.

Gulfman has good saltwater/rust resistance, along with (usually) features like tide and moon data, for working in coastal areas.

I knew what a gauss was-you confirmed the play on wordiness of the names. Thanks!
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

I also love my Gaussman. Please post pics pics of your Gaussmen, Kronos.

Quote Originally Posted by Quension View Post
    Others can comment definitively, since they were actually here at the time, unlike me...

...but the names are generally plays on tasks/areas the watch is useful in. The thread linked to earlier has a caseback shot that covers the Gaussman: it has an antimagnetic movement. A "gauss" is a unit of magnetism, named for Carl Friedrich Gauss. (As for "antimagnetic", here's a thread with some details. In short, analog movements can become magnetized and lose accuracy, unless they have some way to resist the magnetic fields people working with high-powered equipment tend to encounter. It doesn't affect digital displays.)

Raysman was among the first of the solar-powered watches, I believe.

Gulfman has good saltwater/rust resistance, along with (usually) features like tide and moon data, for working in coastal areas.
    Raysman is indeed the first solar-powered G, hence Master of G status.

Gulfman is constructed of titanium for the metal parts, therefore there won't be any problems with rust since titanium do not rust. The term rust resist is a misnomer since rust only affect ferrous-based metal, e.g. steel.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
    Gulfman is constructed of titanium for the metal parts, therefore there won't be any problems with rust since titanium do not rust. The term rust resist is a misnomer since rust only affect ferrous-based metal, e.g. steel.
    Actually, that makes me wonder, since they market "rust resistant" for the watch as a whole: does that mean the screws/pins/springbars for the supplied band are also titanium? I'd think even for most titanium-cased watches, the little pieces wouldn't necessarily be titanium.

..and re-reading the description on Casio USA's site: "Rust-Resistant Titanium case back and pins [...]". I guess that answers that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quension View Post
    Actually, that makes me wonder, since they market "rust resistant" for the watch as a whole: does that mean the screws/pins/springbars for the supplied band are also titanium? I'd think even for most titanium-cased watches, the little pieces wouldn't necessarily be titanium.

..and re-reading the description on Casio USA's site: "Rust-Resistant Titanium case back and pins [...]". I guess that answers that.
    That is one reason I absolutely love my Gulfman. All the metal parts are titanium, including the button shafts, screws, bezel (for GW-91xx series) and buckle.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    No, in Casio's case, names are just names for commercial reasons...sometimes names have to do with a specific feature of the watch but i wouldn't buy a watch for its name anyway...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information