Geek Chic - "GQ" Recommends Some Digital Watches
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Geek Chic - "GQ" Recommends Some Digital Watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Geek Chic - "GQ" Recommends Some Digital Watches

I'm about as un-GQ as one can get. I'm too old, first of all. And, as my wife likes to point out with only a small degree of exaggeration,
    my idea of "style" is to get polo shirts in different colors.

I stumbled on the June issue of GQ in my doctor's waiting room. I was surprised to see a brief piece on retro style, 80's vibe digital watches -- along with a recommendation that they be worn with suits and sports jackets. I take it all, needless to say, with a huge grain of salt. Still, I like the idea of their enjoying the notion of taking a break from expensive timpieces and "standing out in a sea of oh-so-serious analog" watches. Not all that different from Tribe's view of G-Shocks (and, by extension, digital watches, generally) as a sort of "anti-watch". Certainly an "anti-status symbol".

Digital Watches - GQ June 2012: Wear It Now: GQ

Here's one of their recommendations -- the $20 Casio A158WEA-9CF. For a G-Shock fanatic, it is hard to get past the light and insubstantial feel of this one. And I don't think it pairs particularly well with my Nike FuelBand (which hopefully will soon return to its proper place on my other wrist). But this little Casio is fun for a change of pace.

Feisar, avusblue, Redcrow and 2 others like this.

Re: Geek Chic - "GQ" Recommends Some Digital Watches

My A158 (made in Japan) has one of the highest display contrast I've ever seen. If only the module had the functions of say a G-5600 I'ld be wearing it everyday. That said, I don't own many watches. How does the display compare to your other watches Kronos?

looks like women's watch, the librarian ones with thick glasses

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iamsupersam View Post
    My A158 (made in Japan) has one of the highest display contrast I've ever seen. If only the module had the functions of say a G-5600 I'ld be wearing it everyday. That said, I don't own many watches. How does the display compare to your other watches Kronos?
    The display is nice and crisp -- comparable to those on more recent G-Shocks. The module is about as basic as you can get. Single alarm and chime mode and a 59",59" STW. A fairly dim light on the lower left of the display. That's it.

The size is the same, I believe, as an F-91 -- which does feel awfully small when you're used not only to G's but to today's larger sizes generally. For what it is worth, based on a half-day's experience, I think a watch this small looks better with long sleeves than it does with short sleeves
    Last edited by Kronos; July 3rd, 2012 at 20:03.
    iamsupersam likes this.

I put mine on a Nato band and it was a work watch before I got into G-Shocks big time.

An excellent choice for projecting the "Cheapskate: I Don´t Have a Dime" image when travelling south of the border.
    dobber72 likes this.

very much agree with your view -i have my relatively expensive pieces as you do and it is somewhat liberating to wear and use something that perhaps will not entirely shatter your life if it is lost or broken etc -here is my only digital -which as you see i have fun with -a 70's lcd tissot in fine order although not a $20 piece it would have been quite an expensive watch new and i think has its very own character and even elegance - as a previous post of mine will show i recently took an interest in g shocks also for the very same reason -i try to have at least one of each genre of watches rather than many that look the same Name:  tissot3 copy.jpg
Views: 4736
Size:  117.7 KBName:  tissot4 with toshi copy.jpg
Views: 4563
Size:  85.0 KBName:  lcd gunny 6 copy.jpg
Views: 4437
Size:  57.8 KB
    iamsupersam and JoseCanseco like this.

In my neck of the woods you see a lot of women wearing these in gold...go figure!

I preferred the selections "back in the day" when there were more of them back in the 80's and they were actually made of steel. The ones today are chrome plated plastic. The Casio and probably the Timex as well. I don't mind the plastic at all, but just the idea of chrome covering it bothers me.

That's why I prefer the black plastic ones like the F91W.
    ShockMister

thats very true -the tissot above has good weight to it -and the original bracelet is solid also -cant be doing with a metal watch that has the weight of a sparrow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information