"Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

Thread: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    5,317

    "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    Just had a thought about in parts of my life my inner geek comes out but in other parts, I'm more "traditional" Specifically, I love the Master of G series (obvioulsy or I wouldn't be here, right) and learning mare about ABC in general and cannot live without my crackberry much to the dismay of my wife.

    On the other hand, so to speak, I am an avid golfer who cannot stand the GPS range finders that will tell me in a second my exact distance accounting to slope, elevation, wind speed/direction to within a foot of my target.

    maybe a Jung-ian thing that just proves the dichotomy of man. or not. who knows, anyone else find the same differences in thier lives?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    OKLAHOMA
    Posts
    2,569

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    Yep, I love gadgets. All kinds of electronic stuff and their accessories all over the house. My otherside is cell phones. Had one about 10 or 12 years ago and decided the best place for it was a box in the garage. Last time I checked it was still there.

  3. #3
    Member BenL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HKG
    Posts
    35,397

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    I love technology. For a period of time, I was very into cellular phones. On the other hand, I hate talking on the phone for more than 5 minutes at a time. Go figure...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member ELDRAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    i love my gadgets and survival tools, i have many flashlights, multi-tools and penknives.

  6. #5
    Member CeeJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    636

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    I love technology. For a period of time, I was very into cellular phones. On the other hand, I hate talking on the phone for more than 5 minutes at a time. Go figure...
    LOL I know what you mean. My cell phone goes with me everywhere but I rarely answer it when it rings . I'll look and see who is calling and then promply hit the ignore button. Unless it's family everyone is on my ignore list hahaha...

  7. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    5,317

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    LOL I know what you mean. My cell phone goes with me everywhere but I rarely answer it when it rings . I'll look and see who is calling and then promply hit the ignore button. Unless it's family everyone is on my ignore list hahaha...
    I'm the same way...I take my blackberry with me everywhere but hardly use it as as a phone....I use it mainly to check the web, weather, bank, sport scores, etc and only call someone every now and then.

  8. #7
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    It's sometimes debatable whether gadgets make life better or worse. Being connected can be fun but being disconnected can be better. What's better - bite-sized internet news or a serious newspaper? Compressed music or uncompressed music? Real friends or virtual friends? Messaging or conversation?

    And so on...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  9. #8
    Member archer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmastermike View Post
    Just had a thought about in parts of my life my inner geek comes out but in other parts, I'm more "traditional"
    Thanks rockmastermike, for this great topic ! I can certainly relate, and it's a very fun concept to ponder.

    Quote Originally Posted by ELDRAW View Post
    i love my gadgets and survival tools, i have many flashlights, multi-tools and penknives.
    I love my Wave multitool, flashlights, and various "adventurer" gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmastermike View Post
    I'm the same way...I take my blackberry with me everywhere but hardly use it as as a phone....I use it mainly to check the web, weather, bank, sport scores, etc and only call someone every now and then.
    I'm so addicted to my BlackBerry Bold its crazy. And like you, I'm finding that the more I can minimize the calls the better.

    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It's sometimes debatable whether gadgets make life better or worse. Being connected can be fun but being disconnected can be better. What's better - bite-sized internet news or a serious newspaper? Compressed music or uncompressed music? Real friends or virtual friends? Messaging or conversation?
    Very well said, the voice of experience. Much like the "look and feel" of certain products, our personal preferences are based on so many variables. I find myself truly enjoying the "quick read" advantage of a newspaper, how it feels to hold one in a relaxed manner on a Sunday morning with a cup of coffee, or conversely, having all my news pushed to my ThinkPad during the week. At the end of the day it's a lifestyle / workstyle choice, that is constantly evolving for those of us who do embrace technology, and a source of frustration on occasion for those of us on both sides of the issue.

    Cheers...

  10. #9
    Member bjornkeizers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    547

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    I love a well-made gadget

    I generally have the latest & greatest when it comes to gadgets. From cameras, GPS, to Ereaders, I've got it all. I'm also into gaming, with every modern console at my disposal.

    Other interests range from photography, flashlights, knives to Sci-Fi. If I lived in the US, I'd own a sizeable collection of guns as well.

    I also work in radio, where you *need* to be a geek in order to work with all the audio gear.

    So yeah, I'm a hardcore geek

  11. #10
    Member David S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    1,677

    Re: "Geek Factor" relative to other parts of our lives

    I love gadgets. Generally though, I don't have a use for the things I think need. So I buy a gadget, carry it around for a bit, then sell it when I realise I have no use for it.

    Tools though are a different matter. You can never have too many tools.
    'I never done it'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •