German transmitter.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RHJones
  • 2 Post By Donkeyoatay

Thread: German transmitter.

German transmitter.

For the past year I have synchronized my two G Aviators with the German transmitter from southern Spain without problems. For the past two weeks I have been unable to synch either of them at all. Can someone please confirm if all is well with the transmitter or could there be something else causing this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: German transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeyoatay View Post
    For the past year I have synchronized my two G Aviators with the German transmitter from southern Spain without problems. For the past two weeks I have been unable to synch either of them at all. Can someone please confirm if all is well with the transmitter or could there be something else causing this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    On my GW-9100 Gulfman where I can see which tower it synced to, I have also noticed that it no longer syncs with the german tower, for the past 2-3 weeks it always sync with the UK tower despite not being closest to me here in central Sweden.

Interesting that you have the same experience. I wonder what is going on...?
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

My Frogman synced in Berlin, but how can you tell from which tower? Can the GWF show that, too?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Seagal View Post
    My Frogman synced in Berlin, but how can you tell from which tower? Can the GWF show that, too?
    Casio's atomic watches attempt to synch with the transmitter associated with whatever "home city" the watch is set for:

Name:  home city tower.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  42.9 KB

(That's the chart from the relatively new MTG-M900, other older models might have some different city codes.)

Edit: okay, I'd never noticed that some home city codes -- including Berlin -- apparently DO try to synch to two towers!

It's not just newer 6-Band atomics that do this either -- I went back to my GW-9000 5-Band Mudman and the manual says "The time calibration signal the watch will attempt to pick up depends on its current Home City code setting as shown below. If you use the watch in Japan or Europe (each of which as two different transmitter locations), it will try to receive the time calibration signal from one of the transmitters in your current location. If it cannot receive the signal, it will then try to receive the time calibration signal from the other transmitter."

The GW-9000 has five "eyes" that do show which signal is received, but I'm not aware of any other G's that prominently display that information, and I'm not finding anything in my GW-6900 or GW-2310 manuals either.
    Last edited by Mike K; May 1st, 2014 at 00:46.

I think you can enter some test menu and find out which tower it can receive a signal from..Never could figure out how though..

Can someone please confirm if all is well with the transmitter or could there be something else causing this.
    My atomics synchronize to the transmitter in Mainflingen without problems, like they everytime before- but this is no surprise, as I live in a distance of only about 60 kilometers from the transmitter. Did a google search for changes or problems about the transmitter and could not find anything.
    Of course I can't really confirm if the transmitter is well, but I can not find any information here in Germany that something has changed with the transmitter.

As the DCF transmitter is a longwave radio station after all Longwave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and noticing the distance from Mainflingen to central Sweden and southern Spain, it's possibly an athmospherical issue. The skywave Skywave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the groundwave Surface wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia may cause interferences.

The skywave transmission strongly depends on the Ionosphere Ionosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is changing permanently in short and long terms, depending on many different influences.

When nothing else has changed (same transmitter, same receivers at same location) it's IMHO very possible the reception problems are caused by athmospherical issues. Perhaps after waiting for a while helps.

Additionaly, as good longwave transmission needs darkness between transmitter and receiver- in the moment, nights are short in Europe...

Edit: in short and simple words, near the transmitter, the surface wave dominates. Very far from the transmitter, the skywave dominates. In a zone inbetween, when the skywave and groundwave signal strength are nearly equal, they are a differential signal, which are added together equal zero- no reception possible. The zone of this effect varys by athmospherical influences.
    Last edited by RHJones; May 1st, 2014 at 02:28.
    littleroger1 likes this.

Thank you all for your input. After starting this thread, I went to bed last night and placed my two Aviators in their usual "hot spot" position. For the past couple of weeks they have not synced at all. Surprise, surprise! When I woke up this morning both had synced perfectly. Obviously I am very happy with this but would love to know why I have had problems for the past few weeks! Maybe RHJones had the answer!
    RHJones and gripmaster like this.

I've only briefly looked on the weather map for europe, but it seemed to have been overcast in spain for the last couple of days. Since spain is already at the edge of perception it might have been a reason. Another reason is time difference. Sunset is very late in Spain in the summer, as they are stretching the timezone quite a bit. The watch syncs the last time at 04:00 i think. Now that would be shortly before sunrise in the centre of CEST, but in Spain it has not as much time passed since. Time since sunset is critical as photo chemistry processes change the reflective properties of the ionosphere, and it takes time for the ionosphere to 'recover' in darkness before optimum transmission conditions are reached. As soon as you see the first shining clouds in the still dark sky, long before the sun passes the horizon again, the process reverses again.

Thread Information