Getting my first G-Shock
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Getting my first G-Shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting my first G-Shock

I'm looking at getting a new watch and I think I'll be choosing a G-Shock watch. If it is at all relevant, I am going to be a freshman in college (are these larger watches even popular among college students?). I was thinking about getting the GWM500A-1.

I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate answered:
    1.) Will the watch look freakishly large on my 6.5" wrist?
    2.) How well does the solar power work? The official G-Shock site claims a full charge lasts 9 months, but I've also heard some heavy criticism online regarding the rechargeable battery.

Also, any additional watch suggestions would be appreciated (my budget is $50 - $100).

Thanks

Re: Getting my first G-Shock

Not much out there, atomic and solar new for less than $100, I did find a similar model to yours for $90 at jcpenny, it is a special model in Japan, but here it's not so special. It's the gw-m500f.

Right now the gw-5600j and the gw-m5610 are both about $120. - $130

I suspect a lot of the "heavy criticism of the rechargeable battery" was of the rechargeable batteries Casio put into their first generation of solar/atomic watches back in 2003, including the GW-500 (no "M" as in the current version.)

Those batteries apparently didn't last anywhere as long as they were supposed to (and I've seen quite a few threads like that myself) but for the most part people seem happy with the newer solar/atomics!
    rthiry303 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for that tidbit Mike K! :) I think you might be on to something too -- by comparing the reviews of the two versions on Amazon, I notice far less complaints about the battery on the newer model. With the watch costing upwards of $80, I certainly don't want any issues with the battery!

Does anyone know if this watch fits nice on a ~6.5" wrist? I'm not sure if its so big that it will look awkward. The reported length is 46 mm...

In addition to your wrist circumference, you height and build contributes significantly to how big a watch appears on you.

Best to try it on and look at yourself in a mirror.

Otherwise, have a look at the G5600's. Solar no nonsense watches. Also the thinnest G's, and fit easily under shirt cuffs / sleeves during winter.
    rthiry303 likes this.

I suppose you raise a rather good point. I'm a rather small guy (5'9" and like 120 lbs.), so I guess I'll just have to try it out myself. Also, as thin as the G5600's look, they just aren't as aesthetically pleasing as ones such as the GWM500A-1...

this G wears small, don't worry IF you decide to buy it

lvt

This watch should fit you well, it's designed to wear small.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have one of these and it is actually pretty small compared to the other Gs I have. As for the solar, it seems to be excellent so far.

Thanks for the info everyone. :) I'm glad to hear that it "wears small" -- the 46 mm size scared me at first. haha. Anyway, I'm definitely getting this watch now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information