Ghetto OCD charging my new toy with pic
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ghetto OCD charging my new toy with pic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ghetto OCD charging my new toy with pic

I haven't had a good watch since I bought a Bulova auto at a pawnshop in the early 80's. I just got a Casio G-Spot 5610-1 thing. The problem. It was only on M charge level so I had to fix it.
    The answer. Sky Ray King flashlight on Low. (Click for larger image)
    Name:  srk-charging.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  408.4 KB

It's 3 XML LED bulbs driven by 4 18650 batteries. I think it cost me $28 and I had it laying around. Seriously, on low I need to put some toothpicks across the front of the flashlight to give it some clearance or it will cook my watch. It starts getting warm after 20 minutes or so. When raised up a bit on low it's ok. On High it would cook my watch in 10 minutes or less. Maybe way less. Anyways. After one short session my watch went to H. But then back down to M soon after. After one more session it stayed on H all day today while on my wrist under long sleeve black shirt.

I love the watch. I'm in Mid Michigan USA and it took me 3 tries to manual sync it during the day when I first got it. But that night it synced up on the East side of an aluminum siding house while in my wrist. (Last night). I hope that keeps up. So far I'm pleased.

- Joe
    JohnQFord likes this.

Re: Ghetto OCD charging my new toy with pic

I hate typos, and can't figure out how to EDIT my first post. Grrrrrrr...

- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StinkerBelle View Post
    I haven't had a good watch since I bought a Bulova auto at a pawnshop in the early 80's. I just got a Casio G-Spot 5610-1 thing. The problem. It was only on M charge level so I had to fix it.
    The answer. Sky Ray King flashlight on Low. (Click for larger image)
    Name:  srk-charging.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  408.4 KB

It's 3 XML LED bulbs driven by 4 18650 batteries. I think it cost me $28 and I had it laying around. Seriously, on low I need to put some toothpicks across the front of the flashlight to give it some clearance or it will cook my watch. It starts getting warm after 20 minutes or so. When raised up a bit on low it's ok. On High it would cook my watch in 10 minutes or less. Maybe way less. Anyways. After one short session my watch went to H. But then back down to M soon after. After one more session it stayed on H all day today while on my wrist under long sleeve black shirt.

I love the watch. I'm in Mid Michigan USA and it took me 3 tries to manual sync it during the day when I first got it. But that night it synced up on the East side of an aluminum siding house while in my wrist. (Last night). I hope that keeps up. So far I'm pleased.

- Joe
    Welcome to the Forum, Joe !
    [sent you a PM on editing]
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The answer. Sky Ray King flashlight on Low.

Welcome to Watchuseek! Glad to see that you figured out that you needed toothpicks to move the watch away from the light -- there are a few threads around here where people damaged their watches by trying to charge them indoors with man-made light sources. The best way to charge them is with the sun, even if sunny days in the winter are far and few down here in Ohio. As the manual shows, though, it can take six hours of direct sunlight to go from "barely on 'H'" all the way to "Full." The good news is, once one of these IS fully charged, it should stay on "high" for MONTHS before dropping back down to "medium!"

There's a lot to love about a watch that automatically adjusts itself so it's always accurate, including when DST starts and ends! As the manual also says, the radio signal reception is normally much better at night than it is during the daytime, so if it synched once overnight on your wrist, it will probably continue to do so! I have multiple atomic G's, and they all synch every night, even when not on my wrist.
    Last edited by Mike K; January 5th, 2016 at 04:25.

JohnQFord keeps ringing a bell someplace. Stranger In A Strange Land? Hitchhiker's Guide? What is it from? Ayn Rand?

- Joe

JohnQFord keeps ringing a bell someplace. Stranger In A Strange Land? Hitchhiker's Guide? What is it from? Ayn Rand?

- Joe
    It's really just a takeoff on 'JOHN Q PUBLIC' & I was into my Ford F150 when I joined.
    Rocat likes this.
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

- Joe
    Ford Prefect.
    Seiko: SBDC031 Sumo / SUN019 Kinetic Tuna / SSC017 / SKX009
    G-Shock: MTG-M900BD / GLX-5500A-4

You can run the watch on medium without any issues. So, it doesn't matter. Welcome to the forum.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

I had to laugh at the typo, g-spot 5610. Also, be careful charging like that, I melted/blew up a 5510-1BJF the day I got it doing the same thing (tooth picks and all) because of my impatience and ocd about it being on medium.

I thought leds didn't generate any heat, which is what made them so efficient. The energy was output through light rather than heat. Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information