Glad I got one of those while they're still around - AMW-707

Thread: Glad I got one of those while they're still around - AMW-707

Gift Glad I got one of those while they're still around - AMW-707

Hi,
    I guess we all know the following scenario:
    There's some watches that are on the wish-list like forever and ever - you just never pull the trigger because there are others that are higher up on the list. And when it's a discontinued model chances are they get rarer and rarer till one day they're all gone and then you regret not getting one while you still could.
    On my list there were three ana-digi models with stainless steel cases, all discontinued quite some time ago but still available:
    MTD-1058
    AMW-706
    AMW-707
    They all have similar features:
    - 100hr STW
    - 100hr CDT
    - world time
    - one alarm
    - temperature
    AMW-706: fishing/hunting timer
    MTD-1058: moon/tide features

So on the day of the big quake I was still kind of in shock and thought: "I gotta buy a Japanese watch." So I ordered the AMW-707 which lacks the extra features of the other two (which I don't really need anyway). And I also thought of having the back engraved with the date of the catastrophe maybe (found out there's no space left however - too much writing).
    Even though the circumstances couldn't be any worse I'm still glad I bought this one as it's really a very nice piece - especially because of the steel case and standard lugs (I intend to put it on a Zulu but haven't ordered one so far).
    So first some pics:

The camo pattern and the "radar-screen"-design of the display are very nice IMO. Also the brushed upper part of the case - the sides are mirror-polished. The buttons are nice and big. And one advantage over my beloved GW-2500B - the watch beeps when changing modes - I never really liked the permament "mute-mode" of the GW-2500B. I just like to have that acoustic feedback. It also has a EL-backlight lighting up the whole dial. And it doesn't have that flawed stopwatch of some of the AMW-706 models where the STW stopped when leaving the stopwatch mode.
    The steel case gives it a lot of wrist presence despite the fact that it's not that big: 38 mm across the bezel - 41 with the side-protectors. It weighs in at 92 gr:

The strap feels a little cheap but is really long - so this is a watch for those people that think the G-Shock straps are too short. And it also has two strap keepers and a little catch at the end of the strap to prevent it from slipping out of the strap keepers.
    The back is your usual 4-screw design:

It's a perfect fit for my wrist:

The strap wears actually quite comfy despite the cheap appearance.
    Module number is 4392.
    So this is once again one of the cheaper Casios that really feels quite solid and offers a great value for money. In case you want one - grab them while you can - it seems they are getting rarer every day - I watched that particular model for quite some time.
    Will do some lume shots when I have the time.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: Glad I got one of those while they're still around - AMW-707

That's a nice watch Sedi!
    Looks like both of us have in something in common - we both love the non-GShock Casios as well!
    Cheerio!
    Lee

Very nice! Looks technical can the temperature stay on the time keeping screen or will it go away after a few minutes?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sllee View Post
    Looks like both of us have in something in common - we both love the non-GShock Casios as well!
    Yes, there are quite a few very nice models outside the G-Shock range, like the AE-1000/2000, W-S200, SGW-300, etc. And often Casio seems to be more innovative in their cheaper models and use them as a test ground for new modules that are later released in G-Shocks (like with the AE-1000 and SGW-3000).

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLate View Post
    Looks technical can the temperature stay on the time keeping screen or will it go away after a few minutes?
    It stays on the display - it can also show a temperature graph over the last 17 hours (kind of useless when you wear it however). It also has a recording mode where it stores the temp.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Very nice I've always been a fan of ana-digi as well. I also have the GW2500 and always wanted a more dressier version of it. The MTG are too expensive so this model with a bracelet might be able to fill that gap. Thanks for introducing a new watch for me to look out for.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Interesting watch you've brought up, Sedi. The only thing about it that annoys me is that graph background. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making the watch look technical, as there are painted markings for various functions displayed. Also, are the directional markings just for show? There's no compass function, right?

My "look out" discontinued Casio watch to get is an MRG Frogman. They've already jumped up quite a bit on the resale value, but every once in a while one pops up with signs of use that makes the perfectionists stand clear and let it close for less. Still looking for one of those.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Interesting watch you've brought up, Sedi. The only thing about it that annoys me is that graph background. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making the watch look technical, as there are painted markings for various functions displayed. Also, are the directional markings just for show? There's no compass function, right?
    Yes, the directional markings are for show, but it's a design element on many watches from Casio or others like Seiko. I don't care too much about it - on the wrist you hardly notice it. The technical look is exactly what I like about it. But some of the markings do fullfill a purpose - like for the temperature graph or the graphical display of seconds or 1/10 seconds in STW mode. The markings exactly in the center and on the right under the seconds are just for show. It's a bit similar to the G-8000 I think. And that is one of my favs.
    A MRG Frogman is surely a grail watch! Good luck in finding one. I like the looks and metal case too .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Yeah, I figured that there are markings specific to certain functions, but it wasn't obvious to me that the graph lined background was part of it. I like the band on this watch and how it integrates into the casing. But I could definitely see this watch on a Zulu band.

The MRG Frogman rarely comes around, but they are out there. I just hope one coincides with my timing (having sufficient extra funds for it!).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

My negative-display brother says hi!

Name:  Iq7iGyH.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  114.9 KB

The idea was to get something solid, budget, and without the plastic feel of a G.

Initial impressions:
    - I got almost disappointed when I unpacked it: the high-polished sides + the very cheap feel of the folded-link bracelet almost killed it for me -- but I thought I'd give it a try on a rubber or zulu and here we are on a Bonneto: looks good, feels good
    - the digital display is barely legible in normal lighting conditions but I was expecting it and I kind of like it -- the hands provide good readability and the full illumination is there for when it's dark
    - it has its heft to it -- likey likey
    - felt weird to buy a non-solar, non-atomic quartz -- well, if I ever figure I can't live with it, I'll start calling it a vintage
    - hands are not autosynced with the digital time -- this is kind of gain some / lose some thing: you don't have high-tech sync but you can have dual time on your main display

Sedi, thanks for your awesome findings, this thread helped me to make up my mind about this purchase.
    "Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know..." (Prince Ludwig the Indestructible)

Thread Information