Gluing resin strap?

Thread: Gluing resin strap?

Gluing resin strap?

Have owned many G-Shocks over the years, but I have only encountered this problem on my AWG-101,
    If I wear the watch slightly loose, the sleeve that holds the strap moves around causing the strap just to hang "long", besides looking ugly it gets caught around.
    Any ideas on how to glue the sleeve to the strap on a fixed position to fix the problem? Have tried different glue types but they don't hold.
    I just ordered a GW7900B-1, I hope it doesn't have the same problem....

Thanks!!!

Re: Gluing resin strap?

You're joking, right?

So you glued the strap while the watch was on your wrist???

Assuming this is a serious question, you can either trim an inch off of the end of the strap and/or wear the watch a little more snug.

If I understand it correctly, the problem is the strap keeper slips up on the strap towards the watch face allowing the tail end of the portion of the strap that was supposed to be kept or retained to flop around. It is annoying and unsightly, and trimming the strap won't help.

The problem the OP is having is one I had with my GW-9000A as well. I used some generic super glue to solve it. Much like the OP likely did, make note of where the retainer needs to ride, take off watch, glue retainer in that place. The first time I did it, I'm not sure if I didn't use enough glue or what and it came loose. Second time, I used more glue and a pair of needle-nose vice-grips to clamp it in place. It held up to daily abuse for half a year until one of my meat-handed friends was checking the watch out, and tore it loose, not realizing I'd glued it that way for a reason. I've not re-glued it yet because that Muddy isn't my daily watch anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Intall a smaller strap keeper, one that the strap fits tighter into, I have done it to many G's.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Over2land & BREAKWATER you know the problem I'm having exactly!
    I tried hot glue, superglue,silicone rubber,etc and nothing has held, maybe I'll try a different superglue brand....
    Using a smaller strap keeper sounds like a great idea....just wished I had kept some of my old models around..
    Hope I don't have the problem on the 7900.

Another tip...
    Try degreasing the areas to be glued using a tissue pad soaked in liquid (petroleum) cigarrette lighter fuel - it will get the grease and wax out of the surface of the resin and improve the chances of a good bond. Be careful though - don't use it for too long as it can damage the resin (should be ok so long as you don't soak the resin in the fluid for a period of time), it will also degrease your fingertips and make them go white for a while!

Different glues will 'bond' with the resin to different amounts, so some will stick better than others.

One other thing to do is t make sure and give the pieces a good clean before gluing them to remove any grease or muck, and also rough them up slightly with some sandpaper or similar to give more texture for the glue to grip.

I'm sure that the strap keeper sliding is a common problem, so if you have the exact type of glue (brand, etc ) please post it.

Just found a tip on another post where an o-ring is used to keep the strap keeper from sliding: Watch retainer strap fix

Thread Information