GLX-5600 Glide - World Cities Problem

Thread: GLX-5600 Glide - World Cities Problem

Question GLX-5600 Glide - World Cities Problem

Hi All,
    Just purchased the Casio GLX-5600 and having been through the manual 3 times I cannot figure out how to change the factory set home-city (Tokyo) to one of the pre-programmed world cities.

I travel alot and one of the features I wanted was the ability to easily switch between different time-zones/cities, whilst the watch displays the different time zones it does not seem to offer anyway to make these my home-site whilst I am there, basically negating the cool features like moon/tide data etc

The ability to switch your home-city (and all the latitude/longitude etc info automatically) is available on my older G-Shock (GL-160) so I am sure it should be available on the newer watch, if someone knows how to do this please reply.

Otherwise she is going to be returned to the shop!

Re: GLX-5600 Glide - World Cities Problem

Looks like you do it by changing the UTC differential rather than by city name (page 1 of the manual).
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I feared ... it means that anytime I go to a surfing spot I have to manually change the offset AND then I have to manually change BOTH the Longitude and the Lunitidal interval. (So I have to carry around this info or their 400 page manual).

Basically it means that my years old GL-160 has superior world time functionality than this new one. Absolutely shocking.

All I do with the GL-160 is select the correct city hold down the "A" button and voila it automatically switches the watch to the new city and imports the factory presets for the lat/long coordinates, lunitidal info etc so within 3 seconds I have the correct info (time, moon, tidal graph) for my location.

My old GL-160 also require BOTH latitude and longitude coordinates which makes sense to accurately calculate tidal info. The newer GLIDE only takes Longitude .... so the tidal graph is basically fancy hogwash and guaranteed to be inaccurate. (Basically its nothing but nerd bling to impress your friends at a dinner party but is not meant to be a working feature)

This new watch is headed back to the store .... I guess with Casio old truly is gold!
    Last edited by nealf; March 15th, 2011 at 02:55.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Life is a horrible thing........hang five, Dude!

Trade in in towards the gwx-5600, the glides newer, more refined brother!

This one comes programmed with a ton of world beaches, and you can always fine tune it by telling it local high tide and it will go ahead and calculate all the futures ones. I've set mine once for my local break and I check on it every few days. Little to no drift at all!

wisconsinproud - thanks for your useless contribution.

StrongerGodzilla - Thanks for the advice, Much appreciated amigo.
    I found two models GWX-5600-1JF and GWX-5600B-7, which one of these is the model that is working well for you?
    Also I am assuming this has the ability to switch home sites automatically and not having to re-input the lat/long etc??

Gonna have to order this online as my local store does not carry these models so I just want to make sure before I drop the coin.
    Last edited by nealf; March 15th, 2011 at 04:42.

The configuration of the moon/tide info is not user friendly on the GLX5600, that's for sure. But I think the tide is still accurate : as far as I understand, the knowledge of the longitude and of the lunitidal interval at your specific area are the only two parameters needed to calculate the tide at this area.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

module number of the gwx-5600 is 3215 in case you wanna check out the manual first:
    Timepieces - Manuals - Support - CASIO

greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information