WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GMW-B5000 disassembly

53K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  shay2nak 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Thought you might like to see some photos of my B5000 teardown.
The last two pics show the solar panel is just a sheet of plastic film instead of the glass panel normally used in the 5000 series. Given how thin it was I did not want to risk any damage by removing it from the case, it looks like it has been taped down.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Thought you might like to see some photos of my B5000 teardown.
The last two pics show the solar panel is just a sheet of plastic film instead of the glass panel normally used in the 5000 series. Given how thin it was I did not want to risk any damage by removing it from the case, it looks like it has been taped down.
Bring it on! So my understanding is that there is a metal case, a resin layer on top of that, and finally a metal bezel. I still don't see how the bracelet mates to the case. Does the case have the semi-usual 16mm lugs (which would be great for Nato adapters), or is there something else. Something new and odd. If so, what is the advantage?

Also, the light is LED, right? I am starting to scare myself. I am thinking of getting one of these and modding it with GITD tape. This is probably a bad idea...

edit: OK, have just seen harald-hans' pics in Otto's counting thread. Wow, looks pretty secure, with real screwbars. Well, I will just have to wait for a postive display with resin band version to come out. Any day now...

#4 ·
Your photos are not showing up for me.

#11 ·
The pushers seem to have a dual seal.

Is that 'normal' for the regular 5xxx series?

Also strangely on the first and second pictures, the 2x left hand side outer seals seem much thicker that the 2x right hand side outer seals.

@electric0ant, is that just an optical distortion in the picture or really this way?

#12 · (Edited)
Its normal for the gw-5000 as they have dual seals. The gwm5600/5610 variants only have one seal on the pusher. That's one of the little things that separates the gw5000 that most people don't know.

edit:All 4 buttons have dual seals. One was stuck inside the watch and that’s what threw me off. Discovered this after the fact.

#18 ·
In think the main function and benefit of the dual seal design is for the outer seal to protect the inner seal from contamination. At least that is how it is done on the Mudmaster. That way, debris will be held up by the outer seal. Even if some debris manages to get under the outer seal and thus slightly compromise the seal, the inner seal will continue to defend against water intrusion.

This dual seal design got me very excited. Also I start liking the metal bezel idea more and more. I may see this watch in my future. Depending on finding a good deal. I hope that the a spare metal bezel is or will be available for purchase if needed.

#28 ·
accs1,
Swapping a crystal out of or into a GMW-B5000 case is a pretty straightforward process. The GMW-B5000 solar panel is attached to the case center. As long as the inside portion of the solar panel is not disrupted during the crystal extraction process, there should not be a lot of surprises.

See an earlier post below for some pics of the parts and a bit more information:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cust...iction-2545450-post48669027.html#post48669027

EDIT:
Stay inside the green box when you are pressing out the crystal:
View attachment 14400607

#32 ·
Hello,

One more question.
Do you know if possible to find the cover back of GMW-B5000TFC ?
As I live in Europe, that will be probably difficult to find it.
Thank you.
Pacparts lists that as a restricted part - need to call the Factory Service Center.

For the case back, I'm not surprised it's listed as a restricted part, as some folks might try to "build their own" TFC model and sell it as an authentic TFC release for big $$$.

Reactions: crmb
#35 ·
You are better off selling it and grabbing one of the gwb5600 series. Same module as the gmwb5000, but in resin. Some variants are equipped with the combi, which is a nice lightweight bracelet. Your only loss is no stn display on the gwb5600 line.

[emoji834] > everything else

#37 ·
Hey @tommy.arashikage you seem to know more about these than me...which is easy to do haha.

So I took apart my GW-B5600 tonight to investigate how hard it was to get access to the backside of the LCD to change the polarizing film.

I've got it back together now and everything works...except the light. The light button works - I can turn the auto light on or off by holding down the light button. But the light itself will not come on, from pressing the button or tilting it to activate the auto light. What did I do wrong?

I understand some modules have a spring for the light, so it seems I've lost this spring. But for the life of me I don't see where it would go. Any advice?

#40 ·
dgaddis,
Sorry to hear about your backlight issue. I have tinkered with DW-6600 and DW-5600 modules enough to know that the tiny little springs that activate the EL backlight can be a real pain. I have not taken a GW-B5600 module all the way apart so I don't have much to offer you regarding your current predicament. Perhaps someone who has stripped a 3461 module all the way down can chime in here?

Also, take a look at this thread, specifically post #11:

Best of luck!

One last thing, I read your inquiry about modules for these models in your thread. The 3459 and 3461 modules are totally compatible between the GW-B5600 and GMW-B5000 cases. So if you can source a positive display 3459 module, you can drop it into your GW-B5600 case with no modification necessary. And the 3459 modules have the STN display so that is a nice upgrade. Just some food for thought.

#41 ·
If my memory serve me right, there are 4 tiny springs held in place by the same plastic piece that hold LCD. Make sure they sit properly in their places. I did lose one of them before and casio service center helped me out. Also make sure that little metal parts (under those tiny springs) sit properly. Hope this helps

#42 ·
That's exactly right. I finally figured out where they go last night. All four are totally gone however, hopefully Casio can send me some replacements. Pics below.

The springs for the LED fit in the holes in the plastic at 2:00ish and 3:00 on the backside of the LCD, and you can see the contacts for them on the circuit board just to the right in this pic.

The metal parts @Facelessman mentioned are the other contacts for the springs, they sit under the plastic piece where I'm going to here. I got amazingly lucky in that when one fell out I happened to notice it - those pieces are TINY, and a real PITA to manipulate and get them put back where they go.

Now to reach out to Casio and see if they'll take pity on me and send me some springs....

#43 ·
Hi there everyone, thanks for all the pictures! I just joined so I could ask if anyone could point me to a disassembly/teardown video for the GMW-B5000 so I can see how to safely swap out the bezel?

Mine recently got scraped against a hard surface and has a ton of deep, very noticeable scratches in the stainless steel, so I'm going to switch out to a replacement bezel I purchased and install bullbars for additional protection against a repeat.

I've tried searching Youtube, but all I've been able to find are videos for the less expensive 5600 models that aren't entirely assembled the same way. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a video for the correct model. :)

#48 ·
Thank you very much for your insights. I've just finished a crystal swap of my own. I used a $16 basic press, and a 2x1 tall (large) Lego brick positioned on its larger side(thanks for the pro tip sir:). I was as nervous as I e ever been and the apprehension paid off. I would have opted for the official Porter release but I just can't do the $3000 price tag. I, however love the aesthetic of the classic black casing/band with the red/blue crystal and the positive display. What would this be,.. Id say it is an "authentic homage" I guess. Anyway, very happy with the results. Now my b5000 set up is complete save for a Ti model. :). A good selection of Chrystal/finish/display variations. Focusing on a few resin squares now. Just wanted to share an additional experience.
Also, anyone find themselves in a "solar trap"? Only ending up with solar Gs? A few I've bought and returned. I think I have a problem. There a group for that?

#54 ·
Thank you very much for your insights. I've just finished a crystal swap of my own. I used a $16 basic press, and a 2x1 tall (large) Lego brick positioned on its larger side(thanks for the pro tip sir:). I was as nervous as I e ever been and the apprehension paid off. I would have opted for the official Porter release but I just can't do the $3000 price tag. I, however love the aesthetic of the classic black casing/band with the red/blue crystal and the positive display. What would this be,.. Id say it is an "authentic homage" I guess. Anyway, very happy with the results. Now my b5000 set up is complete save for a Ti model. :). A good selection of Chrystal/finish/display variations. Focusing on a few resin squares now. Just wanted to share an additional experience.
Also, anyone find themselves in a "solar trap"? Only ending up with solar Gs? A few I've bought and returned. I think I have a problem. There a group for that?
View attachment 16028337
View attachment 16028338
Can i get a pic of the lego brick used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.