GMW-B5000 Scratches on Crystal!
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: GMW-B5000 Scratches on Crystal!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GMW-B5000 Scratches on Crystal!

Kind of mad at myself right now. Got my GMW-5000 right at a month ago and have worn it daily. I have somehow managed to put several small scratches in the crystal. This is really irritating to me, partially because this is a new watch for me and partially because I really hate scratches on the crystal. I wish more watches had sapphire, but that's a topic for another thread. I'm regretting not getting some kind of "screen protector" stick on film that you can get for these squares. I will probably order some of those soon now...

But my question is: What parts would I need from PacParts.com to get the solar panel off, swap out the crystal and get it all back together, and how involved is this procedure? How do you get the metal bezel off the watch (the resin ones flex, making it pretty straightforward - do the metal ones just lift straight off?)? And of course I want the WR to be intact when I'm done. I've seen other tear down vids for regular squares, but I haven't found one where someone replaced the crystal in a screwback square - and nothing at all for a Full Metal square. Maybe it's not even worth it, but I have to know what it would take to fix this before I decide if I'm just going to live with it or not. Thankfully, the scratches are just over the solar panel where the words "start-stop" are printed, so they kind of blend in and aren't that noticeable...but I know they are there now and it's bothering me.

If your square's crystal is still pristine, I'd get a screen protector to keep it that way. I'm kicking myself for not doing so before now...
    Last edited by sirgilbert357; April 22nd, 2019 at 20:22.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Re: GMW-B5000 Scratches on Crystal!

Are the scratches deep? As in your fingernail catches the grooves? Or are they minor scratches? If minor, you can try polish it out with diamond paste or cerium oxide.

Otherwise, check this B5000 disassembly thread

I use the glass protection, self made, if you remove the bezel you can put the film to be covered by the bezel, use a normal film for smartphone or a film for cars body protection...
    I have not reason to use this film, because I have not the danger to damage my watches, but I want to also protect
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh wait, you can also try putting a glass protector on the glass, maybe the adhesive will fill in the scratches so you don't notice it anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Casio-G...0AAOSw5rFa8KEh

I have these from this seller on several of my Casio watches. They are very good and will make small scratches less visible.

Quote Originally Posted by cvdl View Post
    Are the scratches deep? As in your fingernail catches the grooves? Or are they minor scratches? If minor, you can try polish it out with diamond paste or cerium oxide.

Otherwise, check this B5000 disassembly thread
    I can feel them with my fingernail, yes. They aren't very long, but I'd say they are pretty deep.

Thanks for the link to that thread. I'm not really brave enough to fully disassemble my watch for this, so I think I will just get a screen protector and live with it. Lesson learned...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanjeepguy View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Casio-G...0AAOSw5rFa8KEh

I have these from this seller on several of my Casio watches. They are very good and will make small scratches less visible.
    Thanks for the link. I'll order some tomorrow.
    Ryanjeepguy likes this.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

If I decide to have the crystal swapped later, is there a known trusted G-Shock modder or repairman that someone could recommend? I'd want a pressure test after the fact to ensure the WR. Or should I send it to Casio and just pony up the cash?

Geez, I feel so petty just thinking about paying to have the crystal swapped, but I'm just really mad at myself right now. This is my very first square and I've already jacked it up! I can handle scratches on the case/bezel, but something about the crystal being scratched bothers me...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

if you plan on ditching the crystal altogether, you might as well give polishing a try first. fraction of the cost and less time, skill and effort than doing the swap.
    ive brought many back from beatered to beaut with a bit of patience. quite a few threads on here detailing the process

side note, sapphire doesnt equal unscratchable and when it does get scratched its WAY harder to polish out, if at all and way more expensive to replace. also why ruin your nice crisp stn display by putting a film over it?
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    if you plan on ditching the crystal altogether, you might as well give polishing a try first. fraction of the cost and less time, skill and effort than doing the swap.
    ive brought many back from beatered to beaut with a bit of patience. quite a few threads on here detailing the process

side note, sapphire doesnt equal unscratchable and when it does get scratched its WAY harder to polish out, if at all and way more expensive to replace. also why ruin your nice crisp stn display by putting a film over it?
    I know sapphire can scratch, but it's WAY harder to do. I've literally never scratched a sapphire crystal before.

Do the protective films ruin the display? I'm willing to try them to avoid further scratches. I'll give the polishing some more thought.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information