'Golden Eye' Atomic Frog. New King or Not?

Thread: 'Golden Eye' Atomic Frog. New King or Not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Golden Eye' Atomic Frog. New King or Not?

I have recently received this new 'Golden Eye' Frog. I rather like the use of the Gold in a hommage to the original 'Golden Eye' the DW-8200B-9A.

I really like the look of this Atomic frog but I think they made a mistake by not also making the small bezel screws gold as well as on the original. Why did they do this was it an oversight or a deliberate design decision, who knows?

Now here is the original 'Golden Eye' as a comparison.

So does the original master still rule or has the 'new boy on the block' overtaken it?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; August 27th, 2010 at 05:06.

Re: Golden Eye Frogs. Which Do You Prefer?

To be honest I like them both. I'm really into Old -vs- New. They are great Froggy's and you are lucky to have them both
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

I like them both too.

In terms of rarity, no frogs can compare with the old King. But in terms of technology and overall look, we should crown the new boy.

Great pics and great catch. Congrats Mitch!
    Audemars Piguet x1
    Breitling x1
    Ball x1
    Casio >160
    Glashutte Original x1
    IWC x2
    JLC x1
    Jauet Droz x1
    Nomos x1
    Omega x2
    Panerai x3
    Rolex x5
    Seiko x17
    Tudor x4

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wah_Wah_Wah View Post
    I like them both too.

In terms of rarity, no frogs can compare with the old King. But in terms of technology and overall look, we should crown the new boy.!
    No doubt about the technology, I agree. This is about aesthetics though.

Does the hommage better the original in aesthetic look though, that is a much closer call?

The resin of the 8200 seems to be unique, with its hard glossy look and feel, compared to the usual matt finish on other frogs, including the 'Atomic'

Conversely the exposed titanium metal bezel is matt compared to the glossy look of the SS one on the 'Atomic'.

Is the more complicated face of the 'Atomic' more pleasing than the simpler 8200?

Mitch

Re: 'Golden Eye' Atomic Frog. New King or Not?

Great post, Mitch. Thanks for all those pictures. I am in the process of ordering the new 1000G myself. Maybe I'll have to get the original as well! I too find the gloss of the resin to be interesting. It's got a good look, at least as good as the new one. Also reminds me of the Dawn Black!

--Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    ...The resin of the 8200 seems to be unique, with its hard glossy look and feel, compared to the usual matt finish on other frogs...

Mitch
    I am afraid the glossy look is due the aging of the resin. Below are my old pics showing my BNIB 8200B-9A and a used one for your comparison:

To me, the new resin of 8200B is also matt finish.

This is my daily wear 8200B-9A. It looks glossy.

Don't worry about it, the new spare resin band and bezel are still available in Yahoo Japan.

For the appearance, I like the new 1000 more and don't mind the 'busy' dial.

Cheers,

Wah
    Audemars Piguet x1
    Breitling x1
    Ball x1
    Casio >160
    Glashutte Original x1
    IWC x2
    JLC x1
    Jauet Droz x1
    Nomos x1
    Omega x2
    Panerai x3
    Rolex x5
    Seiko x17
    Tudor x4

Quote Originally Posted by Wah_Wah_Wah View Post
    I am afraid the glossy look is due the aging of the resin.

Wah
    Well I never realised that.

Thanks for that Wah.

Do other Frogs from the 90s also display this 'glossing' of the resin? Can't say I have ever noticed it before other than on the 'Golden Eye' that is why I thought it was a feature of this particular model.

Skyhook did a review which said that the original bezels did have a shine to them.

"
    Hi people,

I have just gotten the 1995 gold titanium frogman from a Japanese friend who has left for Japan.

Although this model is the most desired frogman in Japan, little of it is known outside the land of the rising sun.

I have made a thorough research on this model to share with fellow WUS members. Please also enjoy the actual photographs to come.

DW-8200B-9A

Released in 1995 and was extremely scarce that prices soon hit 300,000Yen for a brand new in box.

Prices vary alot as many custom models were being made. Some of the custom models were so impressive that many people were not able to spot the difference. However watch experts in Japan have came out of a few ways to spot the real deal.

The way to spot an authentic 8200B-9A model

1. Bands and bezel: The first bands and bezel for the watch has a shine to it and has the numbers f1 printed on the underside instead of the reproduce which has the numbers f2.

2. The Black titanium portion is extremely black and not black-grey. Some custom models show a slight greyish colour.

3. The eye of the watch has a very slight greenish colour as compared to the rest of the portion.

4. Lastly the serial number of the watch ranges from 548xxx - 570xxx. Anything out of this range has a high possibility that it is a fake. (*this is the most important point to take note of)

My comments: I have owned many frogmans to date and have to say that this frogman is the nicest of them all and truely lives up to its name. The black bezel and bands has a very shiny lustre to it that blends extremely well with the gold portion. Seeing is believing.

I have spent time researching on this model and hope that i have given everyone an insight to the KING OF FROGMANS.

Have a good weekend.

cheers~
    SKy "

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    Well I never realised that.

Thanks for that Wah.

Do other Frogs from the 90s also display this 'glossing' of the resin? Can't say I have ever noticed it before other than on the 'Golden Eye' that is why I thought it was a feature of this particular model.

Skyhook did a review which said that the original bezels did have a shine to them.

"
    Hi people,

I have just gotten the 1995 gold titanium frogman from a Japanese friend who has left for Japan.

Although this model is the most desired frogman in Japan, little of it is known outside the land of the rising sun.

I have made a thorough research on this model to share with fellow WUS members. Please also enjoy the actual photographs to come.

DW-8200B-9A

Released in 1995 and was extremely scarce that prices soon hit 300,000Yen for a brand new in box.

Prices vary alot as many custom models were being made. Some of the custom models were so impressive that many people were not able to spot the difference. However watch experts in Japan have came out of a few ways to spot the real deal.

The way to spot an authentic 8200B-9A model

1. Bands and bezel: The first bands and bezel for the watch has a shine to it and has the numbers f1 printed on the underside instead of the reproduce which has the numbers f2.

2. The Black titanium portion is extremely black and not black-grey. Some custom models show a slight greyish colour.

3. The eye of the watch has a very slight greenish colour as compared to the rest of the portion.

4. Lastly the serial number of the watch ranges from 548xxx - 570xxx. Anything out of this range has a high possibility that it is a fake. (*this is the most important point to take note of)

My comments: I have owned many frogmans to date and have to say that this frogman is the nicest of them all and truely lives up to its name. The black bezel and bands has a very shiny lustre to it that blends extremely well with the gold portion. Seeing is believing.

I have spent time researching on this model and hope that i have given everyone an insight to the KING OF FROGMANS.

Have a good weekend.

cheers~
    SKy "

Mitch
    Hi Mitch,

I have no objection if we say vintage resin has a very minor shine on it (the formula of the resin is changing from time to time). But if it looks glossy, like the photo of my used 8200B-9A, then it must be the aging effect.

When you look closer to Sky's frog and compare with my BNIB frog, you should notice that his frog is a used one, the condition is similar to yours and my used ones.

Below is my 1983:

According to the Taiwan seller, it is an unused item but displayed in an open area for long time. You can see that the bezel is shiny. When I used a cloth to wrap it, I found I could even make it more shiny (you can do a similar experiment on your 8200B). The reason is that I was actually removing the decomposed surface material from the resin. What I did at last was to change the bezel with a new old stock.

I have some new 6300 and 8200 frogs made in 90's for reference:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-...tml#post674245

In my conclusion, if the resin is in like new condition, the resin surface is smooth and fine but not glossy (I don't know what I am saying).

Anyway, your two 'golden eye' frogs are a great collection. Try to find one set of band/bezel for your old King for spare when they are now still available in Yahoo Japan.

Cheers,

Wah
    Audemars Piguet x1
    Breitling x1
    Ball x1
    Casio >160
    Glashutte Original x1
    IWC x2
    JLC x1
    Jauet Droz x1
    Nomos x1
    Omega x2
    Panerai x3
    Rolex x5
    Seiko x17
    Tudor x4

Excellent photos Mitch, thanks for posting. I can't really decide between the two, I'm always rather partial to vintage models for their character but the new model has been very well executed and will become much sought-after in a few years.

I just ordered a GWF-1000G! Now the wait!

--Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information