goodbye G-7100; hello GW-500A
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ctt1760
  • 2 Post By Mitch100

Thread: goodbye G-7100; hello GW-500A

goodbye G-7100; hello GW-500A

After giving me 8 years and 10 months of faithful, trouble-free service, my first-ever G-shock, G-7100 has finally met its end when, a few weeks ago, its excess-strap-retaining-small-whatchamacallit band broke off.

Iíve always owned just 1 watch Ė the one I wear. (Although after reading this forum, Iíve ordered a Seiko 5 automaticÖ should arrive tomorrow.)

So, my 1 watch gets a lot of wrist time. I must say, Iím a G-shock convert as you can see that the replacement watch is another G-shock.

I do a lot of water activities with my watch. This G-7100 started its life surfing with me in CA; then it accompanied me in a few dives into Lake Travis (Austin) and golf coast (Galveston) when I first started scuba diving before I bought my dive computer. It is also my companion on my constant swim workouts. Now towards its end life, Iíve brought it back to CA to surf the old waves that it started out riding.

But good things canít last forever because better things are coming, right?

Letís see how my new GW-500A works out. I love the new WWVB radio time sync feature! All my home clocks are radio controlled, and now my watch too can match those clocks second for second in accuracy.

The new GW-500A is almost exactly what I wanted so much like my old G-7100.

I've included some pics of my G-7100. It looks amazing (at least to me) for a watch that's nearly 9 yrs old.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...1iLgIY2zAs&v=3
    CanonMan and Chrisek like this.

Re: goodbye G-7100; hello GW-500A

Welcome to the forum.

Yes 'G's are great practical watches that offer fantastic value for money. They are addictive though so you have to watch your step if you hang around the forum for a while.

No reason to 'retire' your 7100 just because the strap keeper broke. You can find suitable ones really cheap and they are easy to fit.

Mitch
    Pelican and nigelw like this.

Nice choice! I have the same watch as you and the "Fire" version. Really nice watches!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ctt1760,

Do not retire the watch for that reason. Go to Home Depot or another store and get a small O ring and then the watch is "fixed". However, I will never tell anyone here to not buy a new watch.

Have a great day,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I've included the g-7100 in the donation box this morning so maybe it'll find a new home (and hopefully the battery will last a few more years since I almost never used its backlight).

I may become a watch collector after all depending on how I like the mechanical Seiko 5 I just bought. I hate Amazon's free super saver shipping but I'm just too cheap to pay for shipping when a free one is offered. It got really close to my house (same town) then the shipper decides to use USPS ? Well, looks like I won't get it until at least tomorrow :(

As for my new GW-M500A, it is everything my old g-7100 is (except for the databank, which I never used on the g-7100) plus radio sync to WWVB. I don't really care too much about solar or regular battery, but radio sync is a great feature to me in a quartz watch.

And... thanks for letting my known those things are called strap keepers. For someone who shoots high power and knows about sling keepers, I should have made the connection there. Actually, I didn't even know the stuff that holds a watch to your wrist is called a strap before reading this forum; I've always call it a watch band.

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1760 View Post
    I hate Amazon's free super saver shipping but I'm just too cheap to pay for shipping when a free one is offered. It got really close to my house (same town) then the shipper decides to use USPS ? Well, looks like I won't get it until at least tomorrow :(
    FedEx and UPS have partnership deals with USPS now, so sometimes it will not get into USPS' hands until it hits a local distribution center. It has happened to me a bunch of times... it looks like your package is going to arrive, and then it gets delayed a day or three. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    They are addictive though so you have to watch your step if you hang around the forum for a while.
    Oh God, this had already happened to me. I've bought three of them in the past month alone.

Thread Information