Goof Off not working, how else to remove paint?

Thread: Goof Off not working, how else to remove paint?

Goof Off not working, how else to remove paint?

trying to get the red paint out of the letting on my dw8400. Tried to use goof off, a q tip and tooth brush the same way i did on my 9052 and it did not work. is it because the paint is older? worked just fine on the 9052. . . .

how else can i get this red paint out??? i went and bought all the stuff to dye the bezel sections for my resident evil mod, really wanted to do it all tonight but this paint thing has thrown a wrench in the works.

any advice out there??

Re: Goof Off not working, how else to remove paint?

acetone works for me. I just go to the drugstore and buy a small bottle of nail polish remover, because you don't need to use a lot of it.

i think my girlfriend has some, i'll give that a shot. good tip, thank you. i'll post a result in a few minutes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nail polish remover did not work. i tried to go ahead and just die over the paint with the rid dye for the black out sections on the resident evil mod i am doing, but that did not work either.

anyone else have any idea? i don't want to scrape at it and i don't know what else would work and not be too harsh on this older resin.

Did you use Goof Off 2? Leave it on for 5 min and then scrape out the paint with a tooth pick?

the goof off should work, it just might take a little more time and patience. Although I don't completely recomend it, you could let the bezel soak in a small bowl of goof off (just enough to submerge the top half) for maybe a minute. Wouldn't go any longer than that. Then rinse with water immediately. Then go back to using a q-tip with the goof off. But I wouldn't suggest doing this if the bezel is older and already fells a little "dry" or brittle.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

think i'm just going to paint gloss black over the red.

the rit dye is working alright but does anyone have any tips for setting it? i've left the bezel on the case and masked off what i don't want black. heated up water in a coffee cup in the microwave, mixed the rit dye. just a tiny bit of very hot water at the bottom of the cup. i then applied the thick dye paste to the bezel and let it dry repeatedly, blow dried it a few times. i let it sit for 15 minutes or so then poured distiller vinegar over it and rinsed it off.

did that process 3 times but it's still not jet black, any tips out there?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mystic View Post
    think i'm just going to paint gloss black over the red.

the rit dye is working alright but does anyone have any tips for setting it? i've left the bezel on the case and masked off what i don't want black. heated up water in a coffee cup in the microwave, mixed the rit dye. just a tiny bit of very hot water at the bottom of the cup. i then applied the thick dye paste to the bezel and let it dry repeatedly, blow dried it a few times. i let it sit for 15 minutes or so then poured distiller vinegar over it and rinsed it off.

did that process 3 times but it's still not jet black, any tips out there?

I would take the bezel completely off the case. When dyeing, I would bring the water to a boil in a pot, let it cool a little, then turn the heat on low so it simmers but does not start to boil. Then I would add the dye, then bathe the watch resin completely in the water for 15-30 minutes, checking periodically by taking it out with tongs and examining the color. Last, I would soak it in a cup of vinegar, then rinse with fresh water.

When I couldn't get the results I wanted with RIT, I went for "JET BLACK" with a slightly different method...

Name:  IMG_20110611_220757.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20110611_215140.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  87.0 KB
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

i had paint on my crazy colors 6900 and nothing i did got it off. i grabbed my wife's acetone off the table after she got finished with her nails and wet a small little area of a tissue and swiped over the spot VERY lightly and in one stroke the paint came RIGHT off.