Is Goof Off save for the shiny resin?

Thread: Is Goof Off save for the shiny resin?

Suspended

Question Is Goof Off save for the shiny resin?

Just wondering if anyone has experience using Goof Off to strip the paint from letters in a shiny resin bezel. I've used it plenty of times on the regular matte resin with no problems, but I don't want to strip the shine of this other kind.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is Goof Off save for the shiny resin?

I don't know about Goof Off, but I tried dabbing acetone on two shiny G-shocks. One was a glossy 5600 and the other was a glossy 6900. The 6900 withstood the acetone without damage (and even looked more shiny afterwards) but the 5600 dulled a little. I would say be careful and test on a very small area with no pressure before attempting to do the whole watch.

Suspended

Thanks that is what I was afraid of, although I don't think there is any acetone in the Goof Off, there are obviously other organic solvents. I was just hoping someone else had tried already and I didn't have to be the guinea pig.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

acetone affects plastic and not resin. so if the acetone attacked the gloss of the bezel or strap, that would mean the gloss isn't resin and most likely a plastic of some sort. best to play it safe and do it the hard way with alcohol

Resin is a plastic of some sort... it's polyurethane.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Resin is a plastic of some sort... it's polyurethane.
    yeah it is. but for some reason it's different enough from actual plastic. I can use acetone on resin with no worries, but it definitely ruins plastic.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by G-Junkie View Post
    yeah it is. but for some reason it's different enough from actual plastic. I can use acetone on resin with no worries, but it definitely ruins plastic.
    All kinds of "plastic".

Polycarbonate and polystyrene are particularly sensitive. Will melt faster than you know what to do. Other plastics are obviously OK because, well, the acetone comes in a plastic bottle of some sort.

I guess the thing I am wondering now is how is the shiny surface on the resin produced. For some reason I initially thought it was just a mechanical polish like you would do to metal. Now I am thinking it is some kind of chemical treatment. Maybe an application of something else on top of the normal resin?

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    All kinds of "plastic".

Polycarbonate and polystyrene are particularly sensitive. Will melt faster than you know what to do. Other plastics are obviously OK because, well, the acetone comes in a plastic bottle of some sort.

I guess the thing I am wondering now is how is the shiny surface on the resin produced. For some reason I initially thought it was just a mechanical polish like you would do to metal. Now I am thinking it is some kind of chemical treatment. Maybe an application of something else on top of the normal resin?
    i think it's just dipped into a simple coating

this is correct--it is a coating. I have a gloss white band that I cut in half when it got old and worn. It is a white resin band with a plastic-like coating on the outiside that is gloss white. You can peel the gloss coating off like a layer of paint. It's pretty thick though, and somewhat flexible and resistant to tearing, so it is not just paint...more like a rubbery plastic.

I would'nt risk it, If you were to be so brave I would test it in a small area first. I tried to take off the white "G" on the light button of my GW7900b with goof off and it ruined the finish on the button. Oh well I [expletive deleted by moderator] up :(
    Last edited by tribe125; March 8th, 2011 at 22:21.

Thread Information