Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman) - Page 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)

Thanks for all the replies. It's very valuable for my decision. Parts are available at PacParts (which is not ideal, being European), but I don't know if I will just get a new bezel, back cover and resin or the whole shebang (sensor cap, buttons, case+glass). I'll wear it like this for now, I think it's fitting for a Master to be beaten up.

As it is Friday night, I had some kebab with friends at a Turkish "snack bar". And I cleaned the Riseman after I came home. Good thing I did it in that order, because I lost all appetite after cleaning the watch...

Warning: Gore images below

Name:  DSC_1503.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  87.8 KB
    The only tool you need for this job

Name:  DSC_1505.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  79.4 KB
    Nice that I don't have to fumble with spring-bars.

Name:  DSC_1506.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB
    Yuck

Name:  DSC_1518.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  85.0 KB
    Yuck yuck

Name:  DSC_1511.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  75.7 KB
    Yuck yuck yuck

Name:  DSC_1517.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  68.2 KB
    This picture at full resolution will make you puke. Yes, that's a hair stuck in there.

Name:  DSC_1526.jpg
Size:  113.6 KB
    Everything taking a bath

Name:  DSC_1524.jpg
Size:  169.7 KB
    Still working!

Name:  DSC_1533.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  83.4 KB
    After a rinse, bath, another rinse and some toothbrush action. There is still grime near the edges of the glass, but I can't seem to get this clean.

Name:  DSC_1537.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  64.3 KB
    All clean, very nice

Name:  DSC_1540.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  75.0 KB
    This watch features a "win sensor". It measures the amount of win.

Name:  DSC_1542.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  82.5 KB
    Bottom looks almost brand new

Name:  DSC_1546.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  81.0 KB
    Top is pretty much the same
    Name:  DSC_1547.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  100.8 KB
    There was still some grime near the "ALTI" text on the right and also above the "RESET" text
    Name:  DSC_1550.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  105.2 KB
    A bit of toothbrush action and it was gone

Name:  DSC_1553.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  94.8 KB
    Fully assembled

Name:  DSC_1557.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  67.5 KB
    It's a nice design, the resin back cover. Too bad it's such a dirt collector.

Thanks to member ivt for the extensive tutorial on dismantling a GW-9200. Especially the part about the O-ring. Very useful.
    Chrisek, Sengyoku and G-fob like this.

this one is one of my grails too - I ll say - put some new bezel and such if possible ( it seems this bezel will break up soon or it seems thay way in the pictures ) - and wear it that way and add more scuffs that way at least those scuffs are your scuffs
    Last edited by etejut; April 12th, 2014 at 01:20.

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    Parts are available at PacParts (which is not ideal, being European)....
    The good news is that Keith at TikTox.com can apparently order any of the parts from Casio that PacParts can -- and TikTox is in the UK, which will cut down on shipping costs! (The other "good news" is that anybody can use PacPart's parts database -- for free -- to see what parts are available from Casio. )

And I cleaned the Riseman after I came home. Good thing I did it in that order, because I lost all appetite after cleaning the watch...

Yuck yuck yuck
    The gunk is at least twice as gross when it's someone else's gunk.

I think that I'm a lot closer to "average" than I am to "fastidious" or "a clean freak," but I've found FAR MORE gunk in the couple of used G's that I've bought than I've ever found in watches I've bought new. I replaced the bezel on a DW-5600E that I wore 24/7 for a year here and a year there as a work watch, and it was nowhere near as gross "inside" as your Riseman or the used MTG-900 I bought.
    Last edited by Mike K; April 12th, 2014 at 04:07.
    computer_freak and Crater like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tip about TikTox.com! Will look into that.

I read somewhere that the 9200 Riseman has a screen protector. After zooming in on the pictures I took last night, I do seem to see what looks like a protective film.... but I don't see this part on the PacParts list.

Is this true, about the screen protector? And can you order one online or fabricate one yourself? Because those scratches on the screen will probably kill any effort I put in swapping the resin.

Well done on getting rid of that muck!

I think the big problem is the scratches on the crystal. They do take a lot away from the look of the watch. Are they deep and have you tried to polish the crystal? If some are just scuffs they may come off pretty easily.

TicTox does have bezel currently in stock that might suit.

GW-9200 Bezel, Tools & Watch Accessories - Tiktox

Mitch
    Chrisek and computer_freak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    Well done on getting rid of that muck!

I think the big problem is the scratches on the crystal. They do take a lot away from the look of the watch. Are they deep and have you tried to polish the crystal? If some are just scuffs they may come off pretty easily.

TicTox does have bezel currently in stock that might suit.

GW-9200 Bezel, Tools & Watch Accessories - Tiktox

Mitch
    Hi Mitch. You're right about the scratches, they are the big problem here, and it's keeping me from swapping the resin.

The scratches don't appear to be that deep, but I can slightly feel them when I gently run my nails over the crystal. I'm guessing that polishing is out of the question but I'm not the expert here.

Hi Mitch. You're right about the scratches, they are the big problem here, and it's keeping me from swapping the resin.

The scratches don't appear to be that deep, but I can slightly feel them when I gently run my nails over the crystal. I'm guessing that polishing is out of the question but I'm not the expert here.
    Polishing will work but you are looking at many hours of work. I polished a riseman crystal once and it is one of the most difficult due to its shape and how it sits in the case.

I read somewhere that the 9200 Riseman has a screen protector. After zooming in on the pictures I took last night, I do seem to see what looks like a protective film.... but I don't see this part on the PacParts list.

Is this true, about the screen protector? And can you order one online or fabricate one yourself? Because those scratches on the screen will probably kill any effort I put in swapping the resin.
    I thought I'd read the same thing about the Riseman in the past, but the only threads I found on the subject (so far) have been about do-it-yourself versions for G-Shocks in general:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/do-...ks-668972.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/scr...or-797149.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/diy...on-803251.html

I'd suggest taking a closer look at the one that's apparently on your screen now and see about peeling it off, then replacing it with a DIY version!

Be aware this is for the vanilla GW-9200-1 with grey accent lettering. The MBJ is entirely blacked out.

To the OP, congrats on a great pickup! Looking forward to your restoration photos

I think you should just buy your parts from pacparts, because you can get the glass too (only $7.54).

If you buy a new bezel, save the little black metal piece that says "sensor" from your old bezel, because the new bezel will not come with it. The all black sensor tab is a somewhat rare part. If you buy from tiktox, keith might throw in a metal sensor tab, but it won't be the black one most likely.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information