Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)

I finally got my grail. The GW-9200MBJ-1JF, the Men in Mat Black Riseman. I "accidentally" bought it by placing a very low maximum bid and winning it. I knew the watch was in a rough state (seller had good pictures) but I didn't expect it to go for one-third of a BNIB one.

It's a nice watch. The module is amazing and very extensive, it shows the full date in the timekeeping mode (with year and day-of-week), you can "flash" the second timezone by holding the top-right button. The six-button layout is very natural, unlike my GDF-100. Almost every mode has current time. And the barometer, altimeter and barograph are nice features to have.

So, I now have my grail, but with a serious case of wabi-sabi. I don't mind having an "imperfect" watch, but I am a bit conflicted as with this being my grail. What should I do?

Strip it, polish it, put it back together and enjoy a watch with experience. Wear it with pride and add some more scuffs!

or

Restore it to new and wear it occasionally to the office

Some pictures:

Name:  DSC_1450.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  112.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_1454.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  112.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1462.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1469.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  171.9 KB
    Name:  DSC_1472.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  133.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_1474.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  94.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_1477.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  112.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_1493.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  122.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1496.jpg
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_1501.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  132.7 KB

Re: Got my grail, but it has wabi-sabi. What to do? (MIMB Riseman)

Congrats on the watch! I'd try to get a hold of some new resins for it and make it look new. Maybe try and buff out the scratches on the LCD. If not, maybe a new LCD as well. If that all becomes too much of a pain in the butt, I'd wear it as a beater/workout watch. Even then it'd still be a very cool watch that looks like it has "gone the distance".

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    I finally got my grail. The GW-9200MBJ-1JF, the Men in Mat Black Riseman. I "accidentally" bought it by placing a very low maximum bid and winning it. I knew the watch was in a rough state (seller had good pictures) but I didn't expect it to go for one-third of a BNIB one.

It's a nice watch. The module is amazing and very extensive, it shows the full date in the timekeeping mode (with year and day-of-week), you can "flash" the second timezone by holding the top-right button. The six-button layout is very natural, unlike my GDF-100. Almost every mode has current time. And the barometer, altimeter and barograph are nice features to have.

So, I now have my grail, but with a serious case of wabi-sabi. I don't mind having an "imperfect" watch, but I am a bit conflicted as with this being my grail. What should I do?

Strip it, polish it, put it back together and enjoy a watch with experience. Wear it with pride and add some more scuffs!

or

Restore it to new and wear it occasionally to the office

Some pictures:

Name:  DSC_1450.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  112.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_1454.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  112.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1462.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1469.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  171.9 KB
    Name:  DSC_1472.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  133.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_1474.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  94.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_1477.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  112.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_1493.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_1496.jpg
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_1501.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  132.7 KB
    Last edited by discodave; April 11th, 2014 at 15:14.

I suggest new resin, whether or not you replace the glass or use it as a beater.

Plastic can never truly be cleaned -- that's why food is not sold in recycled plastic (in the USA, anyway).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by inox View Post
    I suggest new resin, whether or not you replace the glass or use it as a beater.

Plastic can never truly be cleaned -- that's why food is not sold in recycled plastic (in the USA, anyway).
    Don't think, in this case, it has to do with food:

Wabi-sabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".
    Last edited by yankeexpress; April 11th, 2014 at 17:22.
    James142 likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Yeah, I wasn't thinking wabi-sabi referred to food here. I'm just disgusted by other people's "dirt" embedded in plastic, and making a point that it can never be completely removed...

In my opinion wabi-sabi is fine if YOUR life experience is conveyed in the wear and imperfections. I'd get new clothes for it and bear it up all over again.

I put new resin on all of the watches i buy used. Just because I'm a little ocd/germ freak. The wear that comes after that is fine by me.

So, imo, id put new resin at least. Enjoy your grail :p

How do you like having it "beat"? First, congrats on the watch!

If resin is reasonably priced, I'd say get it. If it's like $200 I'd say skip it.

sent with aloha
    ohai likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I would take off the resins and give them a full clean up, (the backcase cover specially) then, dry up and wear it as it is

black resins for riseman is around 60-70 bucks, not really expensive if you want a change of clothes

it's funny that some people want to make their high-priced watch wabi-sabi, while, Gshock-wearers baby their affordable G's to the extreme LOLz
    Andrew_navigator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    it's funny that some people want to make their high-priced watch wabi-sabi, while, Gshock-wearers baby their affordable G's to the extreme LOLz
    Agreed! Shortly after discovering this forum and learning the term "wabi sabi" I saw some pictures of an AMAZING analog dive watch that someone had "antiqued" to look like it had spent 10 years buried on a beach. Fake rust on the hands, fake-faded lume (that was still super bright in the dark) and scratches all over the case, bracelet and crystal that made the watch look 50 years old. I wish I could find the website now because it really was a work of art!

...and here at f17 we have threads at least twice a month about "how do I clean my affordable, essentially waterproof plastic watch?"
    James142, idkfa and MCZK like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information