Got an old G-Shock? How's it holding up?

Thread: Got an old G-Shock? How's it holding up?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got an old G-Shock? How's it holding up?

All this crazy talk about $1000 dollar G-Shocks has me wondering what a collector's expectations should be with regard to survivability of their investment?

The money issue aside(boring topic anyway), how are your old Casio's holding up? I'd like to hear about your oldest G-Shocks. How are the resin and plastic bits performing as the years add up? Has anyone encountered specific problems with their aging collection? Are you keeping your original boxes, special edition packaging, and manuals? Got something to share about your G-Shocks? Let's hear it!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Got an old G-Shock? How's it holding up?

My oldest G is a DW-5600C from about 1989-90 which i bought used.
    The resin parts were rotten away but i exchanged them.

The oldest resin housing G i own is a early (1996) DW-6900.
    I had to exchange the strap and 3 times the battery but the bezel and resin housing are still OK.

In my opinion the straps and the bezels are the limiting factor in lifetime of a G.
    If spares are not available anymore, the watch might become unusable (also if its still running).

So if you want to purchase a preloved G, you should check if resin spares are still available.

Some people also had problems with stripped backplate screws in resin housings. I was lucky enough to never have this problem.
    Anyhow, the more often you will exchange the battery, the more likely is a defective backplate, sealing, screwback or screws.

My oldest current G-Shock is a DW-9051 acquired six years ago, still running on its original battery. I had the bezel and strap replaced this year, but the AD didn't have the original 9051 bezel in stock, so they gave me a 9052 bezel which is identically shaped and fit perfectly. I no longer have the original box and manual for it, but that's ok since I don't plan on selling it anyway.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Resin rot has occurred on most 20+ year old G-Shocks I have bought, all my DW-5000/5200/Wide Temp (1983-84) have had new resin parts. Modules and steel screwback cases have had no issues at all, though I've bought a few vintage 80's G's with faded LCDs.

I had one stripped backplace screw on a 1990 DW-6000 thus rendering the watch obsolete and only good for parts. D2MAC is 100% right - don't bother buying a vintage G module if resin parts are no longer available, best to wait and buy a whole watch. This is particularly a problem on most 1990's G-Shocks.

I had one DW-9000 from EBay which was 15 years old and I sold it on and the resin and strap were both fine. The keeper was missing but the whole watch still had plenty of life left it in I recon. One of the plastic wrist "holder-in-placers" was cracked and the light didn't work so I replaced these with another DW I had lying around. The strap and case were still totally fine. I think it depends on the type of usage not just age. Having said that it would be a good idea to check on age/condition of resin (as well as general condition of module/buttons/straps etc) if you're buying an old one.

If you are careful with the battery changing it should be totally fine. Be easy with the screws and don't force them (geeeently always) and also remember at which angle they went in and came out! It's easy to forget that sometimes the bezel screws enter and exit at an angle and not always at a complete right angle to the case. If someone did it before you there's nothing you can do.

Depends on the watch design, it will probably (like almost any watch, Rolex, Seiko, Omega... you name it) need some attention after a few years? It's hard to generalise how long exactly though. Basically I wouldn't worry unless it shows signs and in any case they're pretty cheap to fix (donor watches are great imo).

The thing is, is it worth buying spare resin parts when you buy the watch and have them stored in a sealed bag and in a cool, dry, dark place?

Will those parts still rot, or would the fact that they're sealed mean that they would be fine?

I buy G-Shock's to use and abuse. None of my G's are safe queens, Frogman models included.

To answer the OP original question, I have 2 Raysman models circa 1997, which get their share of wrist time. The resin is in perfect shape. I also have a G-2310 which I purchased new in 2002 and have abused it like no tomorrow. It's been exposed to various cleaning chemicals. solvents, home reno work, the ocean and the list goes on. The band and bezel are gouged and scratched yet remain crack free. I assume with regular claeaing, the resin should last 20 years. Having said that, I do feel that the resin used for the Frogman models is of better quality. They seem to have a more durable feel compared to other models and I cannot remember ever reading about someone complaining of a cracked Frogman bezel.

The only G's which I have bought spare band/bezel sets for are the Frogmen. Screw back models are the only G's which I feel will last well past the 20 year mark.

I have a Baby-G that is 15 years old, I think. I've replaced the battery at least 4 times. I use the light and alarms, so burn through them. I make my own bands, so that wasn't an issue. The bezel is great, but it does have one of those metal keepers with bumpers, so that may have made the difference. It's gone from Florida's salt water to Canadian -40 temps, and never had a blip of trouble.

DW 6900 that's been through workouts, mountain bike rides (and crashes), all weather situations, and daily use at the office, not as often lately as I have several G's. Original resin strap (I rinse it off after a particularly dirty endeavour), but I did replace the bezel to a stealthed one recently.
    I can't recall what year I bought it (it's over 7 for sure), only 1battery replacement and pressure test since. Tough.
    Last edited by myriad7777; November 10th, 2009 at 00:22.
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer Quartz
    Oris
    BC3
    Tissot
    T-Touch
    Casio

DW 5600, GW 5600, GW 600
    DW 6900, GW 6900, GW 7900B
    DW 6500
    G 7700

Citizen Skyhawk Eco-Drive (Black Eagle)

Here's a related question - how far back does Casio stock parts for models? I guess the question is more relevant for discontinued models, like the more expensive special editions or going forward, those $1000 Frogman models!

--Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information