Got reminded why I've been wearing g-shocks for so long.
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Got reminded why I've been wearing g-shocks for so long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ive been wearing g-shocks almost exclusively since '85. Basically other than a couple of timex shock models, I have nothing but g-shocks. Anyway 5 days ago I received a casio mrws300h analog. Casio introduced it last year and I think its a great looking watch. Yesterday I reached for it on my dresser and fumbled and dropped it. It fell 3 feet and hit my hardwood floor. I watched it all the way to the floor(like a slow motion event) and noted that it landed pretty hard on it's side, but Ive dropped some of my gshocks same place, same way probably hundreds of times in the last 25 years. Needless to say all three hands were knocked way out of place. The minute hand moved the most and was 14 minutes out of place. I guess I really wasnt expecting a fall from 3 feet to have such an impact since Ive done much worse to my gshocks over the years. Just as an experiment I went and got my GA100 and dropped it in a similar manner 3 times and of course, NONE of the GA100's hands were knocked out of place. I reset the time on the MRW and I'm sure it will still keep time correctly but I'm always bumping door jams or taking small impacts on my watch and now in the back of my mind I'll have trouble trusting it to be correct. Sort of a small reminder of why Ive been wearing g-shocks for so long.
    le buzz, Iyonk, fwupow and 6 others like this.
    Greg

Re: Got reminded why I've been wearing g-shocks for so long.

imagine if it was a Rolex.

I almost always just wear a G for everyday use. Will only pick up the Swiss ones when it's a suit and tie occasion. Though even when I cover weddings as a pro photographer, I would still use a G. As most photographer and videographers that I know would.
    nigelw, greg1491 and Crater like this.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

I hear what you are saying!
    Every time I bang my watch against something ( which is quite often ) I always muse 'lucky I am wearing a G-Shock and not an expensive mechanical'.
    Good stuff.
    Crater, nigelw and greg1491 like this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I gave my everyday G Shock away and started wearing my other watches (mostly all Swiss) and then figured I'd wear my House of Horology as a beater. After about a week of bangs and bumps (I'm a commercial painting contractor) banging that one and my Victorinox Diver 500m; I went online and bought another G (GA120-1A). I'm in and out of job sites, the car, buildings and my shop all day. Everything including my watches takes a beating. Can't beat a G for a beater. They're tough as hell, don't have to take them off to shower and what not, and for the odd $100 - $150 for who gives a .... what happens to it???? I'll keep the rest for the weekends and meetings.
    Last edited by Kronos; March 13th, 2014 at 14:49.
    Chrisek, Davidro and greg1491 like this.

Thanks alot for the Post greg...

lately i've been purchasing some analoq quartz chrono and some afforable mechanical.. they're lovely, but i dont know why they dont give me the "confident" like when i wear a g-shock.

that's why, no matter what, i always come back to my squares.. they keep perfect time, can take a beating and truly dependable.

cant believe the MRW-300 could be knocked that way.. i suspect it part of the design of the movement so it wont be broken on high impact...or its just the way these inexpensive movement behave..

once again thanks for the reminding why we all hang out here to appreciate g-shock as a user watch... for the price, we cant go wrong with them.
    greg1491 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BDIC View Post
    After about a week of "oh shits" (I'm a commercial painting contractor) banging that one and my Victorinox Diver 500m....

I also own one and banged it on a mall's glass entrance the watch did not take much damage but the glass door cracked a bit. Thankfully security never noticed it. That watch is built like a tank, but a G's probably a better bet for everyday use :)
    greg1491 likes this.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

I dropped one of my squares last week. I had washed, rinsed and dried it while also washing my hands in the bathroom. I toweled it off and was turning around to go hang it up in the window and it slipped out of my hand and fell about 3.5 ft to the floor. Of course, it was completely unfazed. Not even a mark or smudge anywhere that I could see. I don't even remember which one it was, since I didn't really think twice about it.

It's going to happen. One day when you least expect it, you're gonna drop your wristwatch. If it's expensive, you might try to catch it and just end up swatting it into the floor even harder than gravity would've. It's a great time to be wearing a G.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

when i saw this thread i thought it was another "shell fragment to the wrist" story, so part of me is like *whew, he didnt destroy a G* lol.

i am reminded daily, because im clumsy as hell, that no other watch would survive me.

funny story - yesterday i was at my local mall wasting time, and i stopped in a jewelry store because i saw they had a few g-shocks in the case next to the Porsche watches and Bulovas and crap. the suit-n-tie guy starts giving me the sales pitch and i stopped him with a polite i-could-sell-YOU-one-better-than-you-could-me thing. im telling him about the 3 g-shock rules, how ive frozen them in blocks of ice and scuba dived in the virgin islands with them and all this. so he has a funny look and says "yknow, my boss said the same things and he dropped a GA-110 on the floor to show a customer, and the crystal cracked and the customer walked away. so im not so sure." i took off my 8250 frog and showed it to him. i said "look man, this is a 300 dollar watch, and it's a birthday present from my wife." i proceeded to toss it out of the store into the mall traffic maybe 10 feet away and it got kicked by at least one person. after retrieving it, suit-n-tie asks if he can try on my frogman. heh.

the G prevails, gentleman. the G prevails.

Good story, really goes in favor of g-shocks I hope the analog will be ok, you can still open it and reset the hands by yourself if it will be a problem later.
    greg1491 likes this.

When I bump or scratch one of my relatively affordable non-G-Shocks -- which isn't often because I'd estimate that I wear a G 80-90% of the time now -- I sometimes find myself wondering if I'm becoming more clumsy, or if I'm just more aware of the bumps and dings since I started "collecting" watches, or if I'm simply less aware of having to subconsciously protect a watch that (usually) doesn't need to be protected.

I know, it's a "which came first?" question like the one with the chicken and egg, but it usually makes me smile, and then think "and if I were wearing a G-Shock right now, I wouldn't be wondering about this in the first place!"
    BrendanSilent, nigelw and greg1491 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information