GPW-1000 Gravitymaster Crown Unclocked & Rinsed
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: GPW-1000 Gravitymaster Crown Unclocked & Rinsed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question GPW-1000 Gravitymaster Crown Unclocked & Rinsed

Dear All,

I have a question for all and the owner especially regarding GPW-1000 in general.
    Let me tell you my story first.
    I never own more than one wristwatch, usually when I have a new wristwatch, it means the previous watch is either gone or destroyed (mine was accidentally thrown out from the helicopter and gone somewhere deep in the ocean, a blunder of mine). So after a week feeling naked without a wristwatch, after squeezing my thought for days, I bought a GPW-1000T.

Name:  DSC_0215sm.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  535.5 KB

Maybe this is the BEST wristwatch I ever own. It tells time accurately, which is the BEST part for me. I can rest assure and don't have to sync it to and atomic time manually every week.

Now here comes my predicament.
    After around 40 days of wearing it (roughly of course, It's a G-Shock), as usual, I clean and rinse the watch every night before sleep, when I wipe it, I found the crown was unlocked! It means I rinse it when the the wristwatch was unlocked. I feel super terrible.

The morning after, I bath the wristwatch under the sunlight after for two hours, unlocked, hopefully it will dry the inside part (well maybe, I honestly don't know). After that I test all the functionality, everything was good as before, able to sych time and sych time and position around 30 seconds, able to do stopwatch, able to do timer, able to do alarm, illumination, single and double click setting, etc. It's a big relief because all is good BUT I still can't shake the bad feeling the night before.

So my questions:
    1. Does anybody got the same situation like me? Suddenly unlocked? I didn't remember that I unlocked the crown. I'm quite surprised when I knew the crown was unlocked.
    2. Is it still water tight when the crown unlocked? because I rinse it while the crown was unlocked (not one or two clicks, just unlocked). Even if you locked it in, you still can see a gap from behind...
    3. Should I prepare for the worst?

Thank you very much for any kind answer.

Suryo
    Silverswoosh likes this.

Re: GPW-1000 Gravitymaster Crown Unclocked & Rinsed

Water can go in if the crown is unlocked.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/avi...r-1080547.html

But for locking, you are sure the crown is pushed in, rotated clockwise all the way through until it could no longer be turned before release? Indeed we have heard about some of the smart crowns being easier to unlock than the rest, but I actually wear mine every day for a few years already and did not have any moment when I felt the crown would go loose from the locked state. It's exactly the one the OP mentioned in the above thread with water in.
    voltchaoz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by voltchaoz View Post
    I clean and rinse the watch [... and] found the crown was unlocked! It means I rinse it when the the wristwatch was unlocked. I feel super terrible.

The morning after, I bath the wristwatch under the sunlight after for two hours, unlocked, hopefully it will dry the inside part (well maybe, I honestly don't know). After that I test all the functionality, everything was good as before, able to sych time and sych time and position around 30 seconds, able to do stopwatch, able to do timer, able to do alarm, illumination, single and double click setting, etc. It's a big relief because all is good BUT I still can't shake the bad feeling the night before.
    [...]
    1. Does anybody got the same situation like me? Suddenly unlocked? I didn't remember that I unlocked the crown. I'm quite surprised when I knew the crown was unlocked.

[...]
    2. Is it still water tight when the crown unlocked? because I rinse it while the crown was unlocked (not one or two clicks, just unlocked). Even if you locked it in, you still can see a gap from behind...
    3. Should I prepare for the worst?
    Don't worry. It ought to be still watertight.

Casio's website
    Crown button lock
    Secures the crown button from accidental change to another mode of operation.
    Locking the crown does not seal anything, it avoids only that you use it by accident. (Only at the Mudmaster, GPG-1000 it has additional seals).

Someone reported a damaged crown on this forum for a similar watch, this caused water to get into the watch. But unless there is mechanical damage to the crown, for example by pulling it out, it ought to be safe.

(1) yes, it happens from time to time to some. Check it before you do rough things, like downhill racing or jumping from planes.

(2) As far as I know yes. Casio only guarantees button use under water for its Frogman watches. Experience here is that all 20 bar WR models are usually safe for under water button press. In principle crown operation ought to be even safer, as it is only turned. We ought have heard here from drowned G-Shocks were it otherwise. Bear in mind this means: Do not worry. It does not mean: go diving and try your crown 20m under the surface.

(3) Yes. Always prepare for the worst! Then you can always have a smug grin and say, I expected worse than that, regardless of what happens.

Edit:

One more thing
    from G-Shock Water Resistance Information - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources
    ISO 2281 Water Resistance Requirements:

Immersion of the watch in 10 cm of water with a force of 5 Newton perpendicular to the crown and pusher buttons (if any) for 10 minutes.
    That is required for the 2 bar rating, your watch exceeds this rating.
    5N is about the weight force of 0.5 kg. That is quite a lot, and perpendicular to the button axis is worse than pushing buttons. If the buttons would give in, a gap would form at the gaskets, where water could get in. Pushing buttons in has the risk that a water film on the surface of the button's stems is transported into the watch case. The hydrophobe silcon oil on the gaskets prevents that. Typically G-Shocks have double gaskets which helps here a lot as well.
    Last edited by sdog; March 19th, 2016 at 10:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi cbkihong.

Thank you for the reply.
    I see, noted.
    What a disaster! then I'm just very very lucky, just a simple rinsing from running water...
    Up until now, now moisture, no fog, no anomaly...
    Since this morning, I subconsciously feel the crown every time I touch my GPW.

The crown was locked pretty solid :)
    Maybe maybe it didn't click well when the last time I set my timer.

I prepared the worst, lesson learned, and if something does happened in near time, I'll post and share the experience :D
    Hopefully, other can share their experience as well.

Thank you.

Suryo

Quote Originally Posted by cbkihong View Post
    Water can go in if the crown is unlocked.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/avi...r-1080547.html

But for locking, you are sure the crown is pushed in, rotated clockwise all the way through until it could no longer be turned before release? Indeed we have heard about some of the smart crowns being easier to unlock than the rest, but I actually wear mine every day for a few years already and did not have any moment when I felt the crown would go loose from the locked state. It's exactly the one the OP mentioned in the above thread with water in.
    In that posting the guy had no crown in the watch at all. It fell out before the watch got ruined by water. This is decidedly different from having water get into the watch simply by having an unlocked crown.

It is also more than unusual that an unlocked crown falls out. This points either to a production fault, damage, or quite some force pulling out the crown.

All in all, this is no need to cause for alarm to the OP, who's crown is in place, I suppose.
    Time4Playnow, nigelw and voltchaoz like this.

Thank you sdog.

Wow, your answer ease my mind and put my doubt to rest.
    Mudmaster? I'll check it out further, maybe I'd better have one backup when the time comes.

Thank you for your generous information and description. It's so detail.

(3) You are correct Sir, I should know better, many worse stuff can happen in a blink of eye (the background of my picture above is their wing prototype on production floor :) )

Thank you.

Suryo

lvt

Normally a watch with 200M water-resistant should still be water-resistant to at least 50M when the crown is pulled out.

If you believe that Casio makes good watches that way, you have nothing to worry, if you have doubt, change your watch.
    voltchaoz likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thank for your reply lvt.
    Wow! good to know. Thank you for sharing!
    I believe Casio makes best watch in the world, never wear other brand. This is the third time I change my Casio and I intend to wear my GPW for lifetime :)

Thank you

Suryo

Quote Originally Posted by voltchaoz View Post
    mine was accidentally thrown out from the helicopter and gone somewhere deep in the ocean
    I like the way that sentence sounds so normal
    Silverswoosh and voltchaoz like this.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

I got what you mean :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information