GPW1000 Thoughts?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: GPW1000 Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GPW1000 Thoughts?

I started with the 3000 series aviators, a 4000, and then the GW1000 series. There are features that I like from each. I finally tried on a GPW1000RAF model but something about it just didn't click, might have been the size. I also live in Japan and the GPS syncing feature doesn't seem like a need to have, am I missing something? Just curious about those who have the GPW and their thoughts. Thanks!

Re: GPW1000 Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiFrog View Post
    I started with the 3000 series aviators, a 4000, and then the GW1000 series. There are features that I like from each. I finally tried on a GPW1000RAF model but something about it just didn't click, might have been the size. I also live in Japan and the GPS syncing feature doesn't seem like a need to have, am I missing something? Just curious about those who have the GPW and their thoughts. Thanks!
    You are right, GPS syncing feature is certainly not a "need to have" -- but the same can be said for many other gshock features that people seek out, not to mention EVERY higher priced gshock itself!

I can see where the size could be an issue for some people. The GPW is a large watch, no doubt about it.

For me, it was love at first sight. (that is, when I first saw one in person - when mine was delivered) I have always liked the Aviator lineup, and this one definitely has the Aviator looks. I think it's one of the sharpest looking G's out there. Aside from looks, it's very comfortable, I really like the size, the fit/finish and quality of the piece is equal to any other G I have, and I gotta say, I really like the ability to step outside whenever I want to and do a GPS sync! Do I "need" that feature? No, of course not. But I appreciate having it.

The only 'cons' about the watch for me -- the 24 min. stopwatch, which is ridiculous -- but this is far outweighed by the positives about the watch. Also of course, the price. But considering that most of the GWF-1000 Frogs typically sell for more than this model, along with the MTGs, and considering the fit/finish/quality and features of this piece in comparison to the others, I guess the price is not outrageous.

I do like this one so much that it is right up there with my most favorite G's -- including the MTG, the Gulfmaster, the Rangeman, and the GWF-1000 Frogs. It is equal to any of them, if not superior, in my eyes. It is one of the very rare G's that I have worn for 2 weeks straight after getting it!! (the exception being the Rangeman, to my recollection)

I don't use the stopwatch that much but I know I'd I was called upon to I'd need more than 24 mins. Almost seems a design flaw
    Current watches:
    Casio GW9200 1AER
    Scurfa Diver One Silicon
    Precista PRS 18Q
    Casio GA120
    Casio GW 6900 - 1ER
    Seiko H558-5009 aka The Arnie - All the way from the USA
    Invicta 8926OB
    Orient Mako XL (Black)
    Seiko Recraft SNKN01
    Casio CA 53W
    Casio DBC 32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It was love at first sight for me too. Atomic/GPS timekeeping (just because I don't want to set my watch), (tough) Solar power and legibility of the time (face) are the most important to me. Everything else is a bonus. I just love the looks, size and feel.
    Last edited by tdinut; November 15th, 2014 at 16:47.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Loving mine more every day ...

Doesn't happen to me very often!

Kurt

Re: Loving mine more every day ...

Sharp watch. How does the GPS function work?
    Ginault 180260GSLN (Serial #TE111) and Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
    Sharp watch. How does the GPS function work?
    If you change time zones, you press the lower-right button for about 3 seconds for a GPS "time and position" sync, which takes about 30 seconds and will adjust time zone and DST settings.

If you just need a time sync in the same time zone, you just press that button for about 1 second for a "time" sync, and about 7-10 seconds later the watch is synced with the correct time from the GPS satellites.

To sync with the GPS satellites, you must be outdoors so that your watch has a view of the sky. Will work night or day, anywhere on earth to my knowledge.

Why is the stopwatch limited to 24 minutes?
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Why is the weekend only 2 days long? Don't know -- it just is!

Seriously I can't imagine why they did that... there must be a reason for it. But I have no idea what it is.

GPW1000 Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    This watch, just like the 4000 series, got a double function of 24hr dual time feature AND stopwatch feature for the same subdial. So fore the stopwatch Casio had to make a compromise wich resulted in a limit of a 24 minutes timer.

The GPW is a pretty cool watch! The plastic screws wich hold the strap to the case are a little too big. But I like the hands and the 'two-tone' resin strap.
    Last edited by 4hour; November 15th, 2014 at 21:54.
    Damasko DS30.
    G-Shock GW5000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information